Sign in to follow this  
mankyle

Skarikiska, Island from OFP: Sunken Dragon

I took the visitor files that 9thAirCav released a couple of months ago and started working on them.

I tried to reproduce as faithfully as I could the Skira Island from OFP: Sunken Dragon. Unfortunately I'm not in the mood to continue with this project so I'm releasing the last version of the island and also the latest visitor Source files of the projects

Special Thanks to:

- 9thAirCav for starting the project

- RSttratton for creating and releasing the snappable pond object. Without that the island wouldn't be what it now is.

- Clawhammer and his clan for the outstanding Screenshots. Vielen Dank, und viele Grüssen von Spanien.

-And thanks to Codemasters for showing everyone that OFP was, is and forever will be OFP: Cold War Crisis and not that mussel aborption that OFP: DR was.

Some screenshots courtesy from Clawhammer

arma2oa201012031836201569b07cd0jpg.jpg

arma2oa2010120318365549c54d2f83jpg.jpg

arma2oa20101203183820697a4f3b34jpg.jpg

arma2oa20101203184048890726bf4bjpg.jpg

arma2oa2010120318384320a5d37f43jpg.jpg

The last version I had of the island

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=WRKS0SLF

The source files (link maybe temporarily disabled)

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=H2DRYS2Z

New Mirrors

Skarikiska Island at arma2base.de

skarikiska Island at Armaholic

I release both the island and the Visitor 3 source files with the hope that someone takes on this project and finishes the island.

Thanks for your support and for the mirrors

Edited by mankyle
Adding mirrors

Cool, I wonder how the new foliage/clutter from Proving Grounds might go on it, it somehow seems more in keeping with the real island's visage at least.

Mankyle I DL'd the pbo and had a quick squiz round.

I must say it's an impresive looking island.

Especially the naval base, those building sunken into the rocks and the covered walkways nice touch, gave it a kind of submarine base feel.

I hope someone can finish this off.

Especially the naval base, those building sunken into the rocks and the covered walkways nice touch, gave it a kind of submarine base feel.

I hope someone can finish this off.

Arma has different Objects so it is not possible to recreate completely OFP: Dragon Rising. I had to improvise with Arma 2 object tro try to mimick OFPs submarine base.

That's the part of the Island I'm most proud of

Thanks for the compliments

I think Rstratton, who worked originally on this island, may continue working on this. We will see

Well the timing is good with a resurgence of interest/activity around the VME & OH PLA mods and with OFP:RR on its way a DR-Done-Right would be as poignant as ever.

Well the timing is good with a resurgence of interest/activity around the VME & OH PLA mods

You think that's a coincidence ;)

If anything shows Arma 2 is superior, it's this. Great work, mankyle, and hopefully someone will pick it up and finish it. :cool:

Brilliant map got a few ideas:

- in the military habour you could lower the big doors and reshape the rock so that there is space for boats inside.

- the bridge is slightly off in height.

- the runway is quite hard to land on due to being unflat.

- there are lights in the middle of the runway glitching some aircraft.

Apart from that brilliant, especially the runway on the USS Khe Sanh.

Great map, love the hills and roads on them, big fields, but could use some more detail and love, but overall great, I can already see plenty of awesome missions and campaigns on it.

Now having played on both the FPDR and now the ArmaII version of this island, I have to say that the ArmaII version is by far the better.

Nice work.

Nice video

I spent a lot of time on this island. It is too much workload for just one person

Wait till you see porto santo

Has:

- cities

- Agricultural zones

- Mountains

- Woods

It is a 20 x 20 with a medium size island in the middle.

Edited by mankyle

Nice video

I spent a lot of time on this island. It is too much workload for just one person

Wait till you see porto santo

Has:

- cities

- Agricultural zones

- Mountains

- Woods

It is a 20 x 20 with a medium size island in the middle.

good job mankyle and porto santo sounds awesome.

Keep it up.

kind regards

Looking forward to playing on this island. I especially want to see the dormant volcano.

Is this made from scratch from DEM data or did someone convert the game data from OFP : DR? I love the textures on the satmap, especially the eroded parts. I think that someone could have corrected one of Skira's flaws, though, the lack of variety of types of trees on the island, or does it really look that stupid?

In OFP:DR's defense, I found the close quarters combat to be more appealing in OFP:DR, especially with the Realism mod, even on its lowest difficulty setting. SAW fire actually riddles the crap out of your location in that game (rather than most of the rounds flying over your head).

Edited by Uziyahu--IDF

Is this made from scratch from DEM data or did someone convert the game data from OFP : DR? I love the textures on the satmap, especially the eroded parts. I think that someone could have corrected one of Skira's flaws, though, the lack of variety of types of trees on the island, or does it really look that stupid?

I believe this was all done with DEM data of the real Kiska island meaning it's not using any data from DR. FYI although some work was done extracting DR's game data, I don't think the terrain data was ever positively identified. The game's audio (.fsb), textures (.fui) and models (.hkx) are extractable however.

It's obviously better to concentrate on making this island look like Skira rather than the real Kiska which doesn't have any villages on it.