Sign in to follow this  
-=seany=-

White, Flickering, Pixel dots on foliage with any AntiAliasing

Anyone else getting this?

Basically, since OA I have been getting these little white, sparkling, pixels on mainly plants and trees. I think it gets worse depending on Time Of Day, at the moment 13:40 in December is my testing time.

I have tested Chernarus with both the OA and Arma2 engine and can't recreate the problem there. It seems specific to Takistani vegetation.

Here is the dev heaven link if you want to vote or add feedback:

http://dev-heaven.net/issues/15668

Screen shots:

http://dev-heaven.net/attachments/9464/MotionExample2a.jpg

http://dev-heaven.net/attachments/9465/MotionExample2b.jpg

load each of the these in a separate tab in your browser and swap between them for a perfect example of what this glitch looks like in game when the scene is in motion. See more screens shots at the Dev-Heaven link.

-----------

PS, anyone know why we lost the option in the Nvidia CPL ArmaOA profile to "Override Any Application Setting" for AntiAliasing? Only option we have now is "Enhance Application Setting" or "Application Controlled". I think if I could over ride it, that may fix it....it would be nice to try anyway.

Edited by -=seany=-

Yeah I know what you're talking about.. I told some on my clan but they say I was just stoned..

This is only with AA on at certain angles of light.. I hope they can fix this.. looks like it leaves one pixel blank on most models.. skins, vehicles, vegetation and houses even sometimes..

On certain weapons I even get the whole model with a white coating around it.. which look dumb..

But I don't see it often, might just be a bug on certain times.. but I think they managed to fix most of it..

Edited by RavoC

I see it quite a lot. It's very distracting and its annoying me more now since I have looked back to see how perfectly Chernarus looks with regard to AA.

6 votes on DH, but 1 reply here. If anyone has it can they post in here and mention what GFX card you have?

It's an issue with many games these days, GTA IV has the same issue. It is indeed related to AA, but I believe it isn't fixable by the user outside of disabling AA itself.

It looks like the AA Transparency. Disable (or force) off in CCC/Nvidia CP and see if that helps

Thing is, this is switched off by default, I have never used it. Also Chernarus does not show this problem.

It's an issue with many games these days, GTA IV has the same issue. It is indeed related to AA, but I believe it isn't fixable by the user outside of disabling AA itself.

But again, I don't understand how it can work fine for Chernarus, but now with Takistan we cant use AA any more with out having this glitch? Some thing is wrong, I should be able to use basic AA to get rid of the jaggies with out any problem. It's only when you start adding things like Ambient Occlusion or AA Transparency that AA becomes an issue with current generation engines. I used to use Low AA in Arma 2 no probs, Arma1 also.

I might try switching on Multisampling to see if that actually helps.

i can live with the lil white spots, not a game breaker. Bis will come around on it in do time.

I want to this to get some attention again. It's doing my head in and has made me more aware of it now that BIS are adding things like ATOC settings. Hopefully while they are fixing in this area they can look at this glitchy Takistani vegetation.

Please vote on Dev heaven and add any further helpful comments, thanks. http://dev-heaven.net/issues/15668

----------------------

Nvidia Owners (or a dev?)

-------------------------

Does anyone know; why is it that any game that they have decided that can support Ambient Occlusion (even if its disabled) can no longer select "Override Application" AntiAliasing setting for the game profile? The only options are "Application Controlled" or "Enhance Application".

Also, I thought that the Ambient Occlusion setting was only available to games that used DX10 or 11, which Arma2 clearly does not.

I would like override and force 2x driver AA instead of using in game Low AA to see if it helps this problem (although I doubt it as Chernarus isn't affected by it) and also because I feel 2x driver AA will use up less FPS than Arma's Low in game AA. I have even used Nvidia Inspector to alter the Arma2OA profile so that Override setting is available, but no AA is applied in game when I try it.

Edited by -=seany=-

I have noticed these little sparkly white dots in trees, but in Chernarus and with ATI 4890 card. I was looking for explanation for them when i found this thread.

Can you post a screen shot? I have yet to see this on Chernarus, only on Takistani Vegetation.

I have the flickering white dots in Chernarus myself. No AA enabled. Using a GeForce GTX465 768MB with the 266.58 drivers, with AA forced off in the nVidia control panel.

I have the same problem. AA on I get white dots, AA off white dots go away. I tested using the "One Shot, One Kill" Mission.

GTX 570 266.58

I will try to remember to take screenshot next time i play.

Btw, good topic name. Very descriptive. I hate when ppl start topics like "Help!! problem"

Hi Guys,

Same deal with me I believe. Got these screenies last night playing Chernarus warfare. Seems to show profoundly when the textures of camo nets overlap as these pics indicate. Also noticed the kind of sparkly white dots on trees and bushes, tried taking screenies but I must of kept missing when there was an obvious grouping of them.

2011032300001.th.jpg

2011032300002.th.jpg

Oh forget my video options:

Texture detail - Normal

Video Memory - Default

Anisotropic Filtering - Very High

AA - Normal

Terrain Detail - Normal

Object Detail - Normal

Shadow Detail - Very High

HDR Quality - Normal

Post Process - Disabled

Edited by EasyC

I notice the dots (or sparkles as I like to call them :D ) more with AOTC enabled...once I disabled it the sparkles were gone; but mainly because the foliage doesn't look as 'full' and so there's bigger gaps. AOTC seems to fill in the gaps more, but there's still small 1-2 pixel-sized ones that stick out a lot more.

I tried with both max AA and without, but it didn't seem to make a difference.

I don't however get the cammo netting transparency bug; with any settings. Could it be a driver issue? I'm running the 260.99's currently

Edited by No Use For A Name

Yes i noticed it while playing mission "behind enemy lines" (the sneaky mission with the dogs!) @ chenarus, i will try to get a screenie

edit: ah screenies already posted lol :o

And link above to "found a bug" dont work! Ural Z -23 (ZU-23!) often shoots the roof of the truck resulting in hurri curri and some bad ff.

Edited by fosfap
wake up australia!

I have the same thing that I first seen about two weeks ago. I have AMD HD 7850 2Gb with 13.4 drivers.

Maybe wrong video settings?

uc6p.th.jpg

wgc3.th.jpg

GFX settings

kt7i.th.jpg

Edited by Bee8190

Sorry, can mod please move my previous post to arma3 troubleshooting section instead as I didn't realize this is arma2 AO :)

The latest patch 1.63 has fixed the white dots on foliage problem finally, to me at least..... xD

Edited by LDU30

Can anyone else confirm this?

There was I thinking it was because I'd overclocked the memory too hard on my gfx card...

I'm now using a sapphire r9 290x tri-x (oc1200/1500 ) ....

I have not seen a single white dot on foliage with 1.63, with the previous patch 1.62 they looked those annoying white dots....