Sign in to follow this  
Cookieeater

Add a reticle on player's reported spotted units

Many times while playing ArmA II I zoom in on some random spot like through a bush or heavy forestry or villages to radio automatically "ENEMY at X o'clock" when I have no idea where the units i'm reporting are at. Couldn't BIS add a feature that marks your(not the squads) spotted unit for around 10 seconds with a reticle such as the one where your squad leader assigns a target for you? I'm getting sick of being a sitting duck in ArmA II not knowing where the enemies are at when my soldier is reporting out where he's seeing the enemies at. The radioed spotting system is one of the most important parts in the OFP and ArmA series and it just infuriates me how the AI and my character can spot units in a forest with the AI responding by firing and me not knowing a clue where I spotted my unit at.

EDIT:

I don't think most people here are understanding what i'm trying to say. I'm not talking about just marking units that your squad reports. I'm saying that if your character can report and spot enemies that the squad hasn't, you should have a target reticle where you spotted the enemy from, not the entire squad. It's extremely often that the player in the AI controlled squad is the first one to spot units because he zooms in everywhere. A lot of the times, the player has no idea where he actually did spot the unit from because the computer is spotting the enemy for him like everyone else. All i'm saying is add a target reticle where the player JUST saw the enemy at, if I run in some forest, and yell 12 o'clock ENEMY MAN 500 METERS, I don't need to check my map and see where the enemy is mapped at when technically I just "reported" him a second ago when the computer reported for me the enemy location.

EDIT:

I know what target marker's are and they work fine but they work for the whole squad instead of a single person. What i'm saying is, add the target marker system for the units that only the player spotted and only allow the player to see the unit he just spotted temporarily.

fMDIydYvhb0

This is a classic scenario of what happens a lot in ArmA II. In the beginning I spot a bunch of units that I have no idea are at. Your character starts spotting enemies that you yourself have no idea where they are at. So your soldier "knows" where the enemies are at but you don't.

What would solve this is a temporary red reticle placed over the unit that your character just spotted that only the player can see, not your entire squad. It would keep the player "up to date" with what the soldier that he's playing knows.

Obviously this should be a setting for realism junkies out there BUT it makes less sense how you can spot a bunch of dudes and have them marked on your map when pressing M, but not knowing where you just spotted them from other else than general direction!

Edited by Cookieeater

On recruit difficulty there are coloured markers to indicate allies, enemies, and neutral actors. (only entities 'spotted' by your squad gains a marker)

-k

I think that the colored markers should extend to regular and veteran difficulty as long as you're the only one who can see the markers. Its different if you're squad reports it and it's displayed to everyone than yourself. When a squad member reports where he saw an enemy, you don't always see the enemy he reported so it doesn't need to be tagged. When you report an enemy, you should be able to see it because you reported it due to your vision and you're not relying on anyone's else's eyes.In real life, how could it happen that you report an enemy and his direction and NOT know where the enemy is at that you reported? This happens frequently in ArmA II. You have extended vision in ArmA II which would be considered more unfair then marking the target you spotted that YOU should be able to spot.

Edited by Cookieeater

Normally it will mark when the squad leader says "2 Engage that Rifleman (RPG-7) at 2 o'clock"

By default it can be tagged for your subordinates by pressing F2 > 2 > select which target to engage

But i'm talking about marking the units that your character spots and reports.

Ah, I see what you mean. I thought you meant any units anyone in your squad spots. So many times I don't see anyone, but my avatar will call out a rifleman at 1 o clock. Then I'm looking around, wondering where it is. I wouldn't mind something like this added on Normal or so, but I'd much prefer if my avatar DIDN'T call out units unless I manually space bar/right clicked on them.

No.

What if an enemy unit is moving and is went behind some bush or hill? And with 10 sec it will ruin the game.

But i'm talking about marking the units that your character spots and reports.

By default it can be tagged for your subordinates by pressing F2 > 2 > select which target to engage

You can mark for your team mates or ask them mark for you, OMG!

It can be F2, F3 or F4 depending which are you....

2 is select the Target Menu where those target has been reported, some may be as far as 2 clicks (2000 Meters)

This is the second thing I've been thinking about posting recently that someone has done already within the last day.

It's all very well and good when your the squad leader, but when your a subordinate and your leader tells you engage someone it's impossible to know who he's on about (if there's a lot of contacts that is). He doesn't even say "2 Engage that Rifleman (RPG-7) at 2 o'clock", he just says "2 Engage that Rifleman (RPG-7)".

Back in OFP in veteren mode you got a marker added to your map in the position of any enemy spotted by your team. The marker didn't move but (I think) it had the time at which it was spotted. I'm not sure why this was removed because it makes up for the lack of any means of the A.I. describing where the enemy is. I for one would like to see this return, along with perhaps an additional marker for which ever target your leader wants you to engage.

Again.Play on easier gamemodes. Target markers are still present in Arma2.

-k

I know they are, but they move with the enemy and disappear as soon as the enemy is killed. A little too easy. You also get all the markers of friendly units. It would just be a nice feature to expert mode that once existed in veteran mode.

On normal difficulty you also get markers on your map showing the estimated positions of known enemies. (where the AI thinks enemies are)

I don't think these should be added to harder difficulties, ArmA is a realistic simulation! In real life you don't get little markers telling you where people are, you have rely on your team-mates (sometimes unreliable or indecipherable) reports of where they are.

If you want the AI to be more challenging on lower difficulty settings, you can change the skill slider. (you should be able to find this under options > difficulty)

Maybe it isn't realistic, but it would be a compromise for the fact that the a.i. is unable to describe where the enemy is that he wants you to engage.

And I'm not talking about a marker that follows the target like on lower difficulties, just a static mark on the map where the enemy was reported by the a.i.

I don't have a problem with the enemy difficulty or playing the game on any difficulty.

It's just when your squard leader tells you engage a specific target there is only a limited way of knowing who he means (i.e. rpg, machinegunner etc) or where he was last seen. It was in OFP and I personally would like to see it back.

On normal difficulty you also get markers on your map showing the estimated positions of known enemies. (where the AI thinks enemies are)

I don't think these should be added to harder difficulties, ArmA is a realistic simulation! In real life you don't get little markers telling you where people are, you have rely on your team-mates (sometimes unreliable or indecipherable) reports of where they are.

If you want the AI to be more challenging on lower difficulty settings, you can change the skill slider. (you should be able to find this under options > difficulty)

I don't think you're understanding what i'm trying to say. I'm not talking about just marking units that your squad reports. I'm saying that if your character can report and spot enemies that the squad hasn't, you should have a target reticle where you spotted the enemy from. It's extremely often that the player in the AI controlled squad is the first one to spot units because he zooms in everywhere. A lot of the times, the player has no idea where he actually did spot the unit from because the computer is spotting the enemy for him like everyone else. All i'm saying is add a target reticle where the player JUST saw the enemy at, if I run in some forest, and yell 12 o'clock ENEMY MAN 500 METERS, I don't need to check my map and see where the enemy is mapped at when I just "saw" him a second ago.

What if an enemy unit is moving and is went behind some bush or hill? And with 10 sec it will ruin the game.
When a squad leader gives you a target the marker does not necessarily show the correct location of the enemy. Apply the same limitation here.

I think you would know where the enemy is at if you shout out " 12 o'clock Enemy riflemen 300m" when walking through a forest instead of just being, OH SHIT MY DUDE JUST REPORTED AN ENEMY, gotta check everywhere for it. It's a lack of the blending between the soldier and the player when the soldier that you're playing reports target's that YOU can't see.

Discussed many time which reporting system could be the "best" for AI eg

- compass system or map coordinates as default

- azimuth or clock system for close range (within 200m-300m)

Simple clock system rule:

The direction in which the team/group is moving is always 12 o'clock. Keep formation and an eye on your leader.

Have seen some players in mp who looked to their left and reported "Enemies at 12 o'clock far!!" I was searching at "another" 12 o'clock... didnt see anything till someone typed "iz 9 clock, NiG" :D

True that you should always have eyes on the Squad/Team Leader, though I do know what you mean, and like your idea of a temporary reticule.

Edited by Tavish

Discussed many time which reporting system could be the "best" for AI eg

- compass system or map coordinates as default

- azimuth or clock system for close range (within 200m-300m)

Simple clock system rule:

The direction in which the team/group is moving is always 12 o'clock. Keep formation and an eye on your leader.

Have seen some players in mp who looked to their left and reported "Enemies at 12 o'clock far!!" I was searching at "another" 12 o'clock... didnt see anything till someone typed "iz 9 clock, NiG" :D

I'm talking about if it was just solo and you are the first one to report the unit. This is not AI, this is your character reporting units that you can't see that he can see.

I know what target marker's are and they work fine but they work for the whole squad instead of a single person. What i'm saying is, add the target marker system for the units that only the player spotted and only allow the player to see the unit he just spotted temporarily.

fMDIydYvhb0

This is a classic scenario of what happens a lot in ArmA II. In the beginning I spot a bunch of units that I have no idea are at. Your character starts spotting enemies that you yourself have no idea where they are at. So your soldier "knows" where the enemies are at but you don't.

What would solve this is a temporary red reticle placed over the unit that your character just spotted that only the player can see, not your entire squad. It would keep the player "up to date" with what the soldier that he's playing knows.

Obviously this should be a setting for realism junkies out there BUT it makes less sense how you can spot a bunch of dudes and have them marked on your map when pressing M, but not knowing where you just spotted them from!

Edited by Cookieeater

So what you're really asking for is to remove the NPC shouting out targets that you haven't prompted it to shout out?

No, i'm asking that a temporary red reticle should be placed over the reported unit that you(NOT YOUR SQUAD) shouted so you know where the dude you shouted out is at instead of looking around everywhere for the unit that you just technically saw.

LOL! You couldn't have explained yourself any better yet over and over this sounds like a Monty Python routine.

And I support what you saying :D

some people should not buy Arma, but stay with CoDs

Arma2 is suppose to be simulator, if you would be in real war, you would not have any radar or reticle, you're good or die

Edited by vilas

OP would probably want something like MARTA aka the Military Symbols module which can display markers above spotted/known units. The marker is limited to group leaders, though.

2uo6fqe.jpg