Sign in to follow this  
kohlenhydrat

3D Mission - Editor

will we see the 3D Mission Editor which opens when someone press in the arma2 startscreen ctrl+e one day working?

or is this great tool one for all death?

Edited by kohlenhydrat

He probably means when will it be finished and hopefully be either as easy to use and fully featured as the 2D editor or tie in with the 2D editor (import/export or just open each other's files natively) to make it truly useful.

Adding a "view in 3D" mode (with 3D movement tools) to the current 2D editor that allows specific placement of units would be quite amazing.

Cutting down mission making time should be pretty up high on the priority list ;)

Adding a "view in 3D" mode (with 3D movement tools) to the current 2D editor that allows specific placement of units would be quite amazing.

That would seriously make me live in the editor.

After all this time with OA, BAF, and now PMC, this could have been easily made happen.

I really dont see how it cant be implemented, they have the editor already it seems to me they just have to link a button

in the 2d editor to the 3d instead of starting up with ALT+E

I looked at the 3d editor a couple of times, but got lost on the controls, is there somewhere that tells you what the controls are for it?

Also when you save a mission be it sp,or mp where are the files located? the same place as the 2 editor?

Is it worth using or is the 3d editor still "broken" and one cant trust your missions

u create to work normal without problems?

From what I know (and this info might be outdated) the 3D editor can NOT yet be used to create missions that actually work (or at least in a multiplayer environment). Which is a damn shame.

If only we had the option in the 2D editor indeed. Then we could preview the mission in-game, but also switch to 3D mode. I would quite probably never leave the editor again, so maybe it's a blessing that it hasn't been put in/fixed yet. :p

I think there was a program that could convert missions made in the 3D editor to be compatible with the 2D editor/MP missions for ArmA2, but I don't think this works for Operation Arrowhead (yet).

Has anyone ever heard BIS comment on a proper 3D editors likelihood? What a godsend it would be. I've heard VBS has one. Could that be why ArmA doesn't??!

+1 for seeing it finished.

I looked at the 3D editor a few times, said "wtf" and now live in the 2D Editor. There are certainly times when I wish I could see what I was working on in 3D.

I use the 3d Editor regularly and it would be cool to have proper object/vehicle handling, before more features get added in. It happened sometimes to me that my properly aligned walls get moved/rotated after saving.

so we have a 3d editor.

sort of.

only it isn't really that much use as a 3d editor?

Ive spent a lot of time in the 3D editor lately, the thing i would like to get fixed the most is the unit selection, everything is just grouped under sniper/saboteur/pilot etc so you dont know what faction you are selecting until you have selected it, and if its wrong you cannot change it, you need to delete it and add the unit again.

If they could make the unit selection box more friendly then that would be great, also the option to sync.

@burns

Yea, this is bullsh*t. Also some vehicles/objects rotate around their axis, like the MI24. Object selecting is also quite f*cked up with some objects. Also, plz fix the numbers of the objects you placed. Deleted objeczs keep their number, so my mission.sqf doesn't contain IDs up to e.g. 400 when I have only around 100 objects on the map

A proper 3d Editor would be great.Well it is possible, see here at 2:22

iEJDA7ACi1I&feature=related

If its possible in VBS, then it should work in Arma too

Now that would make me commit my life to the ArmA editor.

It should be possible because as far as I know both programs run on the same engine, or at least a very similar one. I hope this will be made available to us at some point.

Isn't there a mod named real time editor, RTE that doess this? thought shacktac used it...

Isn't there a mod named real time editor, RTE that doess this? thought shacktac used it...

Never really liked RTE, too many external programs and DLL intercepts and black magic required to use it. Putting a guy on a specific ledge was never worth the trouble to me.

I've spend hours upon hours going in and out of the editor to see if objects are placed properly, not a really fun part of mission making.

I've spend hours upon hours going in and out of the editor to see if objects are placed properly, not a really fun part of mission making.

Even after they are placed correctly in the Editor, once you get them on a server they can move... Really the answer is to just not care if things are placed perfectly and concentrate on the mission instead. :)

Never liked the RTE either, you really needed a whole bunch of black magic to work with it. Just wasn´t woth the effort