Sign in to follow this  
R-A-M-B-O

POLL: Should BOHEMIA INTERACTIVE develop for Mac OS too?

Should BOHEMIA INTERACTIVE develop for Mac OS too?  

128 members have voted

1. 1. Should BOHEMIA INTERACTIVE develop for Mac OS too?

• Yes
    • No
    • I'm already playing it on PC but I do have access to a Mac on which I'd love to try it.

Imo macs are popular enough to sell good numbers.

Edited by R-A-M-B-O

Sorry, but it's just not practical. The market of Mac users is small, the market for Mac games is even smaller, and on top of that the demand for a game like ArmA 2 by the average gamer is slim...

Don't get me wrong, I would jump at the chance to buy ArmA 2 for one of my Mac's, but it just wont happen. It's much easier for you to go out and build a PC capable of running ArmA 2 for ~$600-$1000 than it is for BI to develop a Mac version that would take valuable development time and lots of money for little or no return on their investment...

Maybe someday in the future, but certainly not now. Just make a windows partition on your mac, or buy a new PC... they're cheap. :rolleyes:

I don't think they'll have to develop it from scratch. They'll only be porting it. Eg most developers have no problem developing titles for both xbox and ps3.

Edited by R-A-M-B-O

I selected all 3.

Kidding.

Next time it might be an idea to make it so you can't choose multiple options. :p

I selected all 3.

Kidding.

Next time it might be an idea to make it so you can't choose multiple options. :p

Yeah but only option 1 and 2 are mutually exclusive.

Edited by R-A-M-B-O

I selected YES because i think just because i dont have a MAC it doesnt mean nobody else should be able to play Arma.

Whether its makes sense development costs/sales-wise is a totally different question.

I voted No, I detest those overpriced pieces of shit. Don't have one, don't want one. My pc components are better, didn't cost the earth and don't tie Me down.

I would however like if BIS developed a linux version, then I'd have an excuse to drop Windows and be completely free

develop for a niche overpriced locked down propriety system whose only benefit is the cool look? hell, even the mac hardware is now based on where PCs have always been. but just much more overpriced for less functionality.

apple know the future for them is in iphones and ipads and their magic app store that sells you long dead musician as if they're still causing a revolution. .

while i already have a MacBook Pro, and thinking about getting a 12 core Mac Pro, i don't think BIS should aim getting a their games to work on a platform that is not developed for games in the first place.

Yes, i am all for open source, for OpenGL/OpenCL versus the M$ DX. But that is a totally different matter.

Thing is, MAC are being bought for their OS in most cases, and for their ease of use. Everyone else who buys one most likely in the media industry.

That said, the components on a MAC are subpar with what you can get for the same amount of money from other producers. Especially in the GFX department.

Voted NO

PS:

in your case (i have read your specs in another thread), you can always get windows via bootcamp, but i really doubt you will be able to enjoy it to the fullest

I voted NO.

I would have rather had the choice of 'I don't care' because if it meant more people playing Arma and more money for developers then go for it. But since it seems to me it would not be cost effective, and I really wonder why someone would use a mac for games anyways... but I've never used one, or even touched one for that matter, so my opinion on them doesn't really mean anything anyways.

Thing is, MAC are being bought for their OS in most cases, and for their ease of use. Everyone else who buys one most likely in the media industry.

That said, the components on a MAC are subpar with what you can get for the same amount of money from other producers. Especially in the GFX department.

This. Its just not needed.

I voted yes. It's better to have competition so that technology will keep on constantly improving. I have to admit, Macs are overpriced shit, BUT they do speed on the race of Microsoft and Apple trying to create better computers that are faster and easier to use. As of right now, ArmA II is in the bin with all of the other Windows exclusive games that only encourage people to switch to a PC and create more stagnation in development. BIS porting their titles to Mac and possibly Linux, are truly speeding up computer development.

If mac users buy macs for the simplicity of its OS compared to windows, their heads would explode trying to figure out ArmA 2.

Definitely not. I voted no.

I have a Macbook Pro and work in IT.

People who buy Macs (in general) are not the same type of people who play ArmA.

Macs are mostly toys for home use, or graphic designers, musicians, etc. That is still true even today. These people are also used to highly polished products on a Mac. True they usually pay for every piece of software but I think ArmA lacks the sort of polish Mac users demand on a Mac. Then theres simplicity, ArmA simply isn't user friendly enough to suit Mac users.

Then of course, there is lack of games on a Mac already. Games that run on a Mac are usually two or more years old on PC. Why develop a low selling game like ArmA on a platform that has poor range of existing games?

Most Mac hardware also is not beefy enough to run ArmA at high res. The LCDs have low refresh rates that would not be good for gaming.

Don't forget ArmA is not a world into itself. It has lots of 3rd party apps, game launchers, voice communication software, mod installers, etc. You think the community it going to port everything over to OSX too?

Actually it would be hiliarous to watch a die-hard mac user attempt to understand ARMA 2's interface! :D Anyone seen that video where a mac user cant figure out how to use STEAM and bitches about the interface?

Voted no.

And shouldn't this poll be on the manufacture website?

Question? Should Mac's be able to handle games such as ArmA2?

Yes?

No?

Not possible?

Voted no.

And shouldn't this poll be on the manufacture website?

Question? Should Mac's be able to handle games such as ArmA2?

Yes?

No?

Not possible?

MACs can already handle games like A2. AnimalMother uses a MAC pro daily, and most of the new macs available today will run A2 on normal settings without issues, on windows os via bootcamp though.

That said, your question should be different: should A2 be available on OpenGL vs M$ DX?

I voted No, I detest those overpriced pieces of shit. Don't have one, don't want one. My pc components are better, didn't cost the earth and don't tie Me down.

I would however like if BIS developed a linux version, then I'd have an excuse to drop Windows and be completely free

PogMoThoin pretty much took the words from my mouth

A person who buys a Mac is more interested in working than in gaming. Obsolete discussion.