Sign in to follow this  
Coffeecat

Just got my GTX460...New Game...!

yeah! I like my GTX460 1GB best price/performance

In many ways you're right. I got a GTX470 a month or so back and while I got it at a good price, I still look at it and wonder if I should have spent even less and got a cooler, quieter and almost identically performing 460.

I got a similar upgrade and while it made things hella more awesome for a couple weeks, it soon becomes the standard again as you push the settings harder

About the bottlenecked whats that about? Not up to par with the CPU OC but know about the GPU OC, got an E8400 and just now was looking into OC it. Gots an 260GTX and though about jumping up to the new 580 GTX but i see this bottlenecked for the CPU and i dont even have an i7 so would i get my goods out of the 580?

Never mind other people's generalisations, you have to determine empirically whether your system is CPU or GPU bottlenecked when playing Arma2

There are certain video settings which are carried out entirely by GPU, such as antialiasing, anisotropic filtering and (I think but am not certain) postprocessing. If you find that you can turn all of these things up to maximum with minimal impact on framerate (which is what I observe on my system), then it's more than likely your CPU that is limiting your FPS. In which case upgrading your graphics card could be a waste.

Both CPUs and GPUs can be overclocked if you are prepared to take things carefully so as not to destabilise your system.

Many people find that simply increasing the FSB value by 10-20% (in BIOS or using a software utility) will give a corresponding increase in CPU speed with little additional heat or system strain. This is exactly what I did to go from 2.7 to 3.2 GHz for my E6750. You can of course go much higher, but then need to start trying to balance other things like ram timings etc, which becomes a real art form - with plenty of sites dedicated to it.

Overclocking utilities such as MSI Afterburner do much the same for GPUs. Personally, I don't bother GPU overclocking because a) arma2 won't benefit on my system and b) GPUs run hot and overclocking them without decent cooling can fry them (as I have unfortunately found out).

At the end of the day, there is no such thing as a free lunch. You might be able to drag an extra 10-15fps out of Arma2 with judicious overclocking, but to get smooth 100fps at 1920x1080 with everything on max, you need to invest in serious hardware :)

I could tell, about the settings and overclocking the GPU.

I tried it with Operation Flashpoint same/same but different:)

To get sure, you could always install Operation Flashpoint for the test.

1) set every settings at low and turn off.

2) measure youre fps preformance, remember the result.

3) Clock youre graphic card like hell.

4) Measure the fps preformance again.

If the result of the preformance is the same, buy a new CPU or two of them, and a new motherboard for two CPU´s.

Thats my edvice, i will do it as soon i get some extra money.

Edited by aaman

You recommend people to follow your advice whilst you are already posting to ask whether it would be of any benefit. Maybe try your two CPUs first and then advise of the benefits?

You recommend people to follow your advice whilst you are already posting to ask whether it would be of any benefit. Maybe try your two CPUs first and then advise of the benefits?

Unfortunatly i has allready had the advice and bought a GPX card (GPU).

And i have no reason to advice others to do the same to improve theire preformance in game.

I would then act like an ass, and just do an real ass even more rich. Why?

It just made peaople sad and pissed off.

Edited by aaman

This sounds good, thinking of buying a gtx 460 too, my gtx 260 performs terribly in this game for me, your settings seems to good to be true.

This sounds good, thinking of buying a gtx 460 too, my gtx 260 performs terribly in this game for me, your settings seems to good to be true.

He has a 3 ghz CPU, thats good, 4 ghz is better.

I'm just wondering if it's time to upgrade my HD4870 x2 I've also had enough of the artifact issue with ATI cards. The GTX 580's benchmarks looks very good, although there doesn't seem to be alot in it compared to the 480 so I'm torn...

Aaman you seem dangerously misguided for someone offering advice. I had a gtx260, upgraded to a gtx470 and my ingame performance increased massively. I can conclude from this that a simple upgrade of that one component was beneficial.

Simply adding more cpus won't help, much in the same way as just sticking more wheels on a car doesn't make it go faster.

Now that was a really bad comparison.

Add to that it´s very bad for the enviroment to consume so much rubbish.

Maybe you should rethink or reconsider a bit.

Its wrong.

Is GTX 260 known to have poor performace with the game? I was wondering because I have that card and the fps leaves much to hope for.

Edited by Celery

The next big leap in terms of ArmA2 performance would be to get you a "high performance" SSD (not one of the value ones with < 100Mb/s read/write). You won't even remember what a stutter is.

I just ordered a 285/275 Mb/s read/write Corsair 60GB SSD for $100 this morning. Prices are slowly dropping ;)

Edited by WackyIraqi
additional info

Is GTX 260 known to have poor performace with the game? I was wondering because I have that card and the fps leaves much to hope for.

Every card you buy will have bad preformance if youre CPU is below 3 ghz.

But to me good fps is above 40 always, and i could accept 30 somtimes.

Below 30 it begin to feel like the air is dense.

---------- Post added at 05:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:32 PM ----------

The next big leap in terms of ArmA2 performance would be to get you a "high performance" SSD (not one of the value ones with < 100Mb/s read/write). You won't even remember what a stutter is.

I just ordered a 285/275 Mb/s read/write Corsair 60GB SSD for $100 this morning. Prices are slowly dropping ;)

Heard about the ssd´s, will it be esier for the CPU to handle information from one of these, or is it only that the comp will have no starting time and will be considered as a fast computer.

Thats not funny.

Thanks for the CPU OC info guys, iv been useing an tool cause at start up i dont like to have the CPU OC like that. Just when gaming. But iv done some looking about and it is a little hard to get things going and all, but i dont get in to the BIOS. I just us the ASUS Flight Suite tool. Iv tryed out the OC AI suite Booster tool for my board and its got an preformence tab on it 5%,10%,15% and 20%. Iv done an OC of 15% and had to start up in an BIOS and store it back to default it said it had faild or what not. Big question for me is my MHz, if its at 2999.90 then my CPU is at 2.9MHz? This is right? If any body gots the ASUS AI Suite let me know, would like to know some goods about that AI Booster. Just trying to get the CPU up to par if im going to get an 460 or the 580 card.

The biggest factors that affect frame rate in arma 2 are CPU speed and HDD speed. This is because the cpu has to work out where you are in the 3d environment and what to draw then the HDD has to stream the textures. GTX260 is actually a pretty good card, you won't be able to run everything on maximum settings but as long as you don't have any other massive bottlenecks then you should be ok.

---------- Post added at 07:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:21 PM ----------

Thanks for the CPU OC info guys, iv been useing an tool cause at start up i dont like to have the CPU OC like that. Just when gaming. But iv done some looking about and it is a little hard to get things going and all, but i dont get in to the BIOS. I just us the ASUS Flight Suite tool. Iv tryed out the OC AI suite Booster tool for my board and its got an preformence tab on it 5%,10%,15% and 20%. Iv done an OC of 15% and had to start up in an BIOS and store it back to default it said it had faild or what not. Big question for me is my MHz, if its at 2999.90 then my CPU is at 2.9MHz? This is right? If any body gots the ASUS AI Suite let me know, would like to know some goods about that AI Booster. Just trying to get the CPU up to par if im going to get an 460 or the 580 card.

If you're going to OC then please for the love of God don't do it with a tool in your OS. The best way to overclock is to turn off all the auto help features in bios and manually change your cpu/fsb speed and multiplier and the voltages etc yourself. Only change one setting at a time by one increment, boot into windows, test it and then continue changing settings. Always monitor your internal temps throughout this process. I took a week to get the settings on my q6600 rig to the speed I wanted and stable. It's been running that OC solidly for 2y now no problems.

Agree with TechnoTerrorist303 on two points here.

1) The biggest factors that affect frame rate in arma 2 are CPU speed

2) The best way to overclock is to turn off all the auto help

Hmm i try to do it from the BIOS but i cant OC it from there, i go into the CPU setup and i dont see FSB or any frequency changer besides the Multiplier and i can only change that lower, its an 9.0 at default and thats the highest it goes.

I've got my i7 920 2.66Ghz OC @ 4.00Ghz so I'm more than happy. Encoding video is ridiculously quick, although on air it sometimes hits 70 degrees fully loaded :eek:

Hmm i try to do it from the BIOS but i cant OC it from there, i go into the CPU setup and i dont see FSB or any frequency changer besides the Multiplier and i can only change that lower, its an 9.0 at default and thats the highest it goes.

you're in the wrong menu. search around the bios a bit more if your board doesn't support overclocking (but I doubt that unless you have a dell or something) you cant of course.

---------- Post added at 11:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:52 PM ----------

I've got my i7 920 2.66Ghz OC @ 4.00Ghz so I'm more than happy. Encoding video is ridiculously quick, although on air it sometimes hits 70 degrees fully loaded :eek:

that's not a real issue on an i7. (and the 60 degrees they recommend for core2 is also well on the safe side)

K just found the oc menu on my board, watch videos and read alot about how to OC an E8400. There is alot to it then just the FSB OC most was said about vcore and all other settings:butbut: Lol im lost in it. I would like to know what my overclock options is on my main board though. It has the option to go 5%,10%,16% and 20%. Iv yet to see any vids or info about that option on an ASUS P5N-D board. When i had the AI Suit tool it had that option also but iv tryed it at 10% and got an failure, had to start back up at default. Thanks for the info on most of the CPU OC. Think ill let it be at 3.00GHz for a little bit longer.

I'm just wondering if it's time to upgrade my HD4870 x2 I've also had enough of the artifact issue with ATI cards. The GTX 580's benchmarks looks very good, although there doesn't seem to be alot in it compared to the 480 so I'm torn...

I went from 4870x2 to 480, then to 580.

The increase from my x2 to the 480 was HUGE! It was amazing and surprisingly enough I got a nice FPS increase going from the 480 to the 580. Might as well go 580. :)

Just installed the GTX 460 today and I'm glad I did. The game is actually half playable now. ;)

I can play with all the graphics settings on very high and still get better FPS than I did with all the settings on very low on my previous GPU.

Not perfect, but it is certainly an improvement! :D

Edited by Laqueesha

I also just got a new video card, well for that matter I just built a new rig last week, and I love it!!! i7 - 950, Asus Sabretooth MB, 6GB OCZ 1600, 60GB OCZ SSD running Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit. A couple of Caviar Black HDDs totaling 2TB of space. All contained within a new Cooler Master HAF 942 Full Tower Case.... The game is unreal!