Sign in to follow this  
maturin

Where is Takistan?

Chernarus is Ceske Stredohori, Utes is a mystery island that no one can place, so where is Takistan? I assume Zargabad and the other smaller OA DLC maps are made up.

If anyone knows the exact location, not just the country, I would love to look it up on Google Earth.

Do you mean where is it in the Armaversum, or where is the terrain it was based on (if any)?

By coordinate (66E, 34N) Takistan is placed pretty much smack in the middle of Afghanistan. Height map real location unknown, but you might figure out something from their vegetation map. Not sure where I saw it though...

By coordinate (30E, 45N) Chernarus is placed pretty much near Tulcea in Romania (similar coastal features). Height map location E14, N50.70°.

I mean the real world location the map data was taken from. I know that it is placed idiotically to the west of Chernarus in the Armaverse.

Why is that idiotic?

Because you don't understand the question. Some if not all ArmA maps are based on satelite pictures slightly modified to suit the purpose.

Edited by Enforcer1975

C:\Program Files\Bohemia Interactive\ArmA 2\Expansion\Addons

Why is that idiotic?

Because the Western part of South Zagoria looks so European it could be England, then you step over the border into Afghanistan.

And the maps use real-world location data anyway, so if they have to be close together, at least put Takistan on the other side. It's just silly and implausible is all.

I thought it was that area on the map between Ohio and Virginia. You know the one, it's always labeled as "Here Be Dragons" by cartographers.

the only reason i can think of that the map co-ords for takistan place it in afghanistan is the fact that the terrian is taken from afghan..around kabul i think

my idea is that the "green sea area" is meant to be somewhere around the caspian sea area, there is a mix of woodland and desert

South Zagoria does not share borders with Takistan ... there's a lot of terrain in between.

chernarus_whole.gif

Its 100km from me to the nearest city, and I gurantee you, it doesn't change from: dense forest and grasslands with a freezing climate all year round, to a frigin desert speaking a completely different language; with no cultural ties between the two. :D

Its 100km from me to the nearest city, and I gurantee you, it doesn't change from: dense forest and grasslands with a freezing climate all year round, to a frigin desert speaking a completely different language; with no cultural ties between the two. :D

Yes, maybe the world is a little "compressed", but so are the battles and the maps in the game (no one wants to travel hundreds of km before starting a mission)... In the real world, there are similiar circumstances: for example, the Republic of Dagestan and Azerbaijan: different climate, different language, different culture.

Expand a little bit the distances and you'll find that the Armaverse is quite plausible ;)

http://www.trekearth.com/gallery/Middle_East/Iran/West/Azarbayjan-e_Khavari/Sofiyan/photo438267.htm

Yes, maybe the world is a little "compressed", but so are the battles and the maps in the game (no one wants to travel hundreds of km before starting a mission)... In the real world, there are similiar circumstances: for example, the Republic of Dagestan and Azerbaijan: different climate, different language, different culture.

Expand a little bit the distances and you'll find that the Armaverse is quite plausible ;)

http://www.trekearth.com/gallery/Middle_East/Iran/West/Azarbayjan-e_Khavari/Sofiyan/photo438267.htm

Distance between Chernogorsk and Zargabad- about 100 miles

Distance between Prague and Kabul- about 3000

The Caucasus is a very diverse place, with all those mountains and water bodies affecting weather patterns, but you'd better get to expanding those distances, because it's going to take a while.

And it's not the distance so much as the orientation. Why couldn't they have expanded the map in the other direction. Central Asia is opposite the green Caucasus on the Caspian Sea.

You just made that up!

Wut?

Distance between Chernogorsk and Zargabad- about 100 miles

Distance between Prague and Kabul- about 3000

The Caucasus is a very diverse place, with all those mountains and water bodies affecting weather patterns, but you'd better get to expanding those distances, because it's going to take a while.

And it's not the distance so much as the orientation. Why couldn't they have expanded the map in the other direction. Central Asia is opposite the green Caucasus on the Caspian Sea.

Mmm, yeah... I agree, 70%. But what about story making? If the distances were greater, it would be difficult to write a plausible plot...

Some math, just for fun ;)

Kabul metropolitan area = 425 sq km

Zargabad area = 70 sq km

Ratio between areas = 6

Ratio between distances = sq root (6) = 2.46

I'd like to think that every km in the game would be 2.5 km in real life XD

speaking of woodland and desert so close together being rather odd

there is a place in the caucasus where woodland turns to desert in less then a KM, and back again

if i can find a link to it ill post it

Agreed... The map seems backward, even though the region is fictional.

Ratio between distances = sq root (6) = 2.46

If the ratio was 30:1 it would match the real world distance from Ceske Stredohori to Afghanistan.

I've heard of places that go from desert to forests. South Zagoria is on the far side of the map too which means that may be the only forested area. The rest could be grasslands which can easily transition to desert. Also look at the map in the bottom there is plenty of space between South Zagoria and Zargabad. Also there are several rivers and mountains probably in the way so that could explain different cultures and to some extent weather patterns.

Takistan

Sahrani managed it ....

Yep... but Sahrani was crap... You want different climes, make a seperate 'island' for each instead of cramming snow, desert, jungle or the surface of mars into one place, it completely destroys believability.

That sort of variation just doesn't happen, at least not at the scales and distances we're working with... apart from snow at altitudes maybe.

Did a quick search and found a veeeerrry rough map

World Biome Map

There is certainly plausibility as far as the of proximity Chernarus and Takistan go. Takistan, I would say is more 'temperate grassland', with mountains and not really desert even if it is 'yellow and sandy', nearly everywhere you walk has some form of grass.

I believe the following map is similar to the one used by the Devs to work out Takistans vegetation cover

Afghan Vegetation map

Edited by Electricleash
Adding some extra bits