Sign in to follow this  
OOPz

PMC04: Transportation... BI, WTF were you thinking?

hmm, it may depend on whether you waited at the checkpoint at the start or not. I chose to wait, seeing as I figured firing at a US checkpoint is never a good idea... anyway, within a few seconds of going through the checkpoint after waiting one of the mercs announces he's hacked into a UAV uplink, so you can use it through the action menu under "UAV (hacked)". Sometimes you get logged off it automatically, due to it being a questionable connection, but since you can only use it for spotting anyway it's not a big deal.

Ok, thanks for the help. I did wait at the checkpoint on the first attempt, but I don't remember getting any such message. After that first attempt I have always fired the warning shots when replaying the mission. I will have to try again to get the UAV.

Ok, maybe "not go off the road" was the wrong thing to write. I have had the driver go slightly off road even with no enemies around sometimes, especially in the crossroads in the village, (the one with the sharp left turn). I have had him drive into a house there a couple of times.

But the big deviations, when the driver goes completely off road, that is done in response to enemy fire. Whenever I have managed to kill the enemies quickly the AI has pretty much stayed on the road all the way.

I killed all the AI, OK? Asano moves few meters forward and then make a d-tour. There was no enemy alive and the corner was like 5 degrees to left. Behaviour I experienced in this mission was beyond usual AI driving.

Even if there would be enemy, why going of road. It just makes you take more fire and your gun shakes even more.

The decision of firing over the heads of the US soldier is strange . both options should be: Wait or break the barricade and run. As many said,we should have the control to stop the SUV and go.And our character should say Go!, Move it!, Let's go!, Gogogo! or Shit STOP!,Asano STOP!, Halt! ... not to be always the same words HALT, FRONT!

Edited by upredictable

I fired over their heads and still got acces to the UAV. Also I think the driving capabilities may well be related to the cpu that you have available. I have an I7 and cant say I had any major detours except a couple of minor of raods to avoid burning vehicles or enemy fire etc.

hmm, it may depend on whether you waited at the checkpoint at the start or not.

nope, should work either way, but sometimes it just doesnt work at all.

Sometimes you get logged off it automatically, due to it being a questionable connection

due to bug.

you get booted every time if you are looking thru the gun optics (or at least i did)

this is actually how i ended up stopping the vehicle most times, its a little slower than firing and kinda breaks the flow, but at least it doesnt waste the ammo

I fired over their heads and still got acces to the UAV. Also I think the driving capabilities may well be related to the cpu that you have available. I have an I7 and cant say I had any major detours except a couple of minor of raods to avoid burning vehicles or enemy fire etc.

I have a Core 2 Quad Q9450...

So far, I can't find a single thing I like about the PMC missions.

Granted, I still love the series, but what the hell is up with these missions?

Having played since vanilla OpFlash, and having purchased every bit of content I can think of, this is easily the worst to date, in my personal opinion. Sure, some of the content over the years has been buggy, frustrating, and sometimes downright broken, but... This is just silly.

I guess I could understand if the pure intent was to market to the masses, or just lighten up the whole concept, but there are plenty of crappy games that do that (while running smoother).

Oh well. I won't lose sleep over it. :p

If you have characters important to the storyline, who are going to fight along-side you, and are necessary to survive for the next mission, which method do you want? My personal favorite is allowDamage false. ;)

I'd prefer them to die and not come back in later missions. Or, alternatively, if a character is really important, then pretend he didn't die but was only unconscious and recovered. There should be only a handful (2-3 at most, really) like these anyway. If the number of AI teammates is important for the mission, new characters should be introduced.

Play it co-op. That's all I can say. Makes a world of difference if your driver is your buddy, even if you DO have to shout frantically into the mic, "Slow down! I can't get a bead on that offroad and it's got an SPG!"

As far as SP content goes, I'd say PMC and especially this mission is a new low for BIS. :mad:

But if that isnt irritating enough, you then have us grind for another few hours until finally... a hind pops up from behind a hill.. coz if theres one thing we all really need after we have burned off all our ammo its a f'kn helicopter at the end of the level.

So, lacking ammo to kill the thing, and having absolutely no other method to fight or avoid it... i quit and started again.

I just finished this mission from start to finish. AFTER destroying the Hind, across three passes where I had the trigger down basically the whole time, I still had 1400 rounds left on the minigun...

Make sure you're pressing Numpad Ins to get into scope view and take short, measured, on target bursts. Don't spray. There's plenty of ammo.

its a minigun.... spraying is what they do.. telling people not to spray with a minigun is like drinking in moderation... wheres the fun in that.

and, yes.. obviously... i had nearly 2k left at the end the second time i played thru... but i really didnt have any fun, at all.

Play it co-op. That's all I can say. Makes a world of difference if your driver is your buddy, even if you DO have to shout frantically into the mic, "Slow down! I can't get a bead on that offroad and it's got an SPG!"

It was to easy to complete in MP. I preferred the SP.

i passed this level easily using left shift + - (numpad) then typing endmission. seriously, i kept running out of ammo and the driver kept going offroad even when there were no enemies.

nice idea, not so good implementation.

This is worse by far than anything in the Dragon Rising campaign.

I know that stings, it's meant to. Let it sink in.

BIS, you aren't going to win over COD fans and all you are doing is alienating your core by including stuff like this.

i passed this level easily using left shift + - (numpad) then typing endmission. seriously, i kept running out of ammo and the driver kept going offroad even when there were no enemies.

nice idea, not so good implementation.

How? I had >1000 rounds left and i shot at vehicles for fun to see them go boom. Just use short bursts as you always do against infantry.

(Also, dont be confused mb the normal view, it looks like you can somewhat guess where your bullets by land but if you use the 'scope' you will see that the difference is just as big as in any other vehicle)

Im playing though the OFP missions Wolle converted over,

I wish bis would make more missions like them, simplier missions always work better.

indeed, rail-roading the player really isnt right for a BI game, theyre best when we just get given an objective and are then left to work out how to achieve that on our own.

i was expecting this to be a fairly unpopular mission, but im actually a little surprised that not a single person has stepped up to say they like it, normally everything i get upset about (for no real reason ;)) provokes at least a small number of people telling me im an idiot.

i guess the message is clear, eh

I just finished this mission from start to finish. AFTER destroying the Hind, across three passes where I had the trigger down basically the whole time, I still had 1400 rounds left on the minigun...

Do you have a bad framerate? That can lower RoF. Or maybe the OP was using ACE, which improve high RoF weapon simulation.

indeed, rail-roading the player really isnt right for a BI game, theyre best when we just get given an objective and are then left to work out how to achieve that on our own.

i was expecting this to be a fairly unpopular mission, but im actually a little surprised that not a single person has stepped up to say they like it, normally everything i get upset about (for no real reason ;)) provokes at least a small number of people telling me im an idiot.

i guess the message is clear, eh

Hi mate, I did actually enjoy this mission, but not really on any of it's advertised merits. There was a point where an enemy APC (BTR-40 I think) had pinned my SUV down and I didn't have much ammo on the minigun. I got out of the SUV and grabbed a PKP, snuck up to the BTR and popped the tyres, machine-gunning the crew as they bailed. It was good for that reason alone; turning the enemy's weapons against them ;)

The actual on-rails thing was okay, and I didn't really have any objection to BIS doing it once in three or four games, but I wouldn't like them to make a habit of it. A button to stop the SUV would have been nice. I piled loads of ammo into the road in front of me while trying to get the SUV to stop.

yeah, just being able to control the vehicle would'v been sufficient to save it..... and loosing the boss fight at the end.

yeah, just being able to control the vehicle would'v been sufficient to save it..... and loosing the boss fight at the end.

Well, at least part of your Christmas wish may well indeed have been fixed - though it seems like it didn't make it onto Arma Claus' list (aka changelog).

My elves tell me that you should be able to take over control of the lead vehicle when you want, and select to re-enable the automatic route at your merry will.

Ok, enough with the Christmas-based puns, I promise. :cool:

RiE

Edited by RoyaltyinExile
I doubt we'll usually respond to thread titles like this, but since it's Christmas n all..

I don't really mess with the campaigns, I haven't finished any other than Eagle Wing (including OFP, Arma, or Arma II). So I normally don't comment on them. I appreciate them but I just don't get into them.

But after reading some of this thread I had to try this one. I made it to this mission pretty easily. I tried this mission 3 times. I will never try it again.

Even though I find it hard to criticize this game, I love it so much, I will say this mission sucks.