Sign in to follow this  
twisted

is hitting targets to easy?

Is there an aim-helper in arma2  

84 members have voted

1. 1. Is there an aim-helper in arma2

• Yes, bullets seem to hit the targets too easily
    • No, I've seen bullets miss by an inch or so

hi. I've found that hitting targets in aram2oa seems too easy. almost like a subtle aim-helper is working at times. Or perhaps it's really oversize hit boxes?

let me give you an example:

out at 300m i see a opfor walking, i can put my aimdot approx over its body and press the mouse button and hit him.

at other times an AI is running and doing that zigzag thing (which they should to make getting hit harder) but i press shoot at a moment they zag, and down they go even though i coudl have swore i missed at that split second.

Don't know how to get evidence of this or if am just full of shit and imaging such things.

Edited by twisted

hi. I've found that hitting targets in aram2oa seems too easy. almost like a subtle aim-helper is working at times.

let me give you an example:

out at 300m i see a opfor walking, i can put my aimdot approx over its body and press the mouse button and hit him.

at other times an AI is running and doing that zigzag thing (which they should to make getting hit harder) but i press shoot at a moment they zag, and down they go even though i coudl have swore i missed at that split second.

Don't know how to get evidence of this or if am just full of shit and imaging such things.

I must say i had this impression too sometimes, even if each time i attached a camera to a bullet the ballistic thing seems convincing.

Maybe your just a very talented shot?

But on a serious note hitting targets at 300-500 seems too easy with a scope (mabye it is i dont know) but it almost makes me feel like im cheating, when i waste an entire squad with my AGOG.

It's easier in the game than in real life more so because of AI behaviors than ballistics.

never thought i'd see a thread such as this. I'm not a bad shot and if the kill counter is anything to go by, pretty good actually. But I have a hard time hitting moving targets especially the zig zaggers

Im gonna assume that it will be harder in real life since the stress of being in combat and the stupid AI at times makes it way more easy ingame. But wtf do I know :p

But aimhelper, I dunno... isnt it some autoaim when playing on lower difficulties? Never tried lol

I find it varies, some missions and tasks its esier to hit the enemy then others , perhaps that just me but theres nothing as satifying as drawing an M60 or M249 and squeezing the trigger to mow down an incoming attack or patrol ... :D

Are you sure you dont have that auto-aim function on in the difficulty menu?

Easy, but not that easy as Bad Company 2 or COD. You have to keep on account, the distance, wind, bullet drop, moving targets, the weapon you have, etc

I also use sometimes when I play SP missions and addon that makes you even more innacurate, it raises the bullet dispersion, I think the name is High Dispersion or something

I do find it tricky, but I think that scope sway at times feels a bit low for the fact that you're holding a pretty big hunk of metal and trying to keep it steady

It's easier in the game than in real life more so because of AI behaviors than ballistics.

That's what the low framerate and stutter feature is for. :p

OP, there is actually an auto-aim feature, double check to see that it is turned off.

And hitting stationary targets at 300m is fairly easy because most rifles are zeroed to that distance. Just point and shoot. On the flipside, high-trajectory 7.62x39mm rounds might go high or fall short at 200m or 400m if you're not careful.

Generally, I don't think hitting a target in Arma is too easy. But I've had quite a few moments like this, when I have put my aim over a small, distant target and thought: "This is too far, I'm never going to hit", and then the surprise when the target drops and dies. Maybe there are just oversized hit boxes when firing at distant targets?

Edited by Johan S

Hmm, I think I have a bug on my hands from reading this.

From around 200 meters with an M240 scoped, NONE of my bullets hit. I was lying prone for 20 seconds after running 10 meters. I had my crosshair right on this guy's center-mass.

I shot, and I saw the red tracer go to the far right of the scope, near the edge.

I only have ZeusAI and WarFX particles activated. Why are weapons so inaccurate?

It is NOT my shooting. I have played the demo, and the guns were way, way, way more accurate than retail.

Even with sniper rifles I miss at around 100 meters with zeroing perfect, and lying prone for 1 minute.

Generally, I don't think hitting a target in Arma is too easy. But I've had quite a few moment like this, when I have put my aim over a small, distant target and thought: "This is too far, I'm never going to hit", and then the surprise when the target drops and dies. Maybe there are just oversized hit boxes when firing at distant targets?

it could be. it's the long distance stuff that seems a little too easy at times. close and mid range not so much.

Or perhaps it's really oversize hit boxes?

The firegeo LOD for the BI Sample character for ArmA 2 is approximately the same volume as the higher detail resolution LODs. There ought not be much difference in what you see and what you hit.

Hmm, I think I have a bug on my hands from reading this.

From around 200 meters with an M240 scoped, NONE of my bullets hit. I was lying prone for 20 seconds after running 10 meters. I had my crosshair right on this guy's center-mass.

I shot, and I saw the red tracer go to the far right of the scope, near the edge.

I only have ZeusAI and WarFX particles activated. Why are weapons so inaccurate?

It is NOT my shooting. I have played the demo, and the guns were way, way, way more accurate than retail.

Even with sniper rifles I miss at around 100 meters with zeroing perfect, and lying prone for 1 minute.

Have you tried paying $40 to BI yet for their game? May help.

God I love fade

As for targets - part of it is the lack of heavy cover & 3 postures. Many rocks are too high for prone and too low for crouch.

Edited by Windexglow

Generally, I don't think hitting a target in Arma is too easy. But I've had quite a few moment like this, when I have put my aim over a small, distant target and thought: "This is too far, I'm never going to hit", and then the surprise when the target drops and dies. Maybe there are just oversized hit boxes when firing at distant targets?

I think it's more like random luck, I've also had lucky shots that I thought would never land, but also I've fired 20 rounds at a closer guy and not killed him. On the whole, it seems OK to me though.

having served in Iraq and performing combat operations back in 2005. it's a heck of allot easier to shoot someone in real life than in the game...simply because you are in control. and by the way i was using iron sites too. you don't have that muscle memory like you do in real life. one thing is to note however is that I'm not going to stand there and hold a 240G at the ready. not going to happen. though one thing i like about arma II the guns don't make my ears ring and hot brass getting thrown at my face from the guy shooting next to me.

though one thing i like about arma II the guns don't make my ears ring.

Not without ACE 2, anyway. Last mission I played I didn't have earplugs to go with my PKM and the damn thing was making me choose between suppressive fire and deafness.

that automatic aim hitting the targets so easily, so I have it turned off

i seem to miss past 300m alot, but sometimes if i hit before the target to the ground it will ricochet into the target and kill it.

Have you tried paying $40 to BI yet for their game? May help.

Good one. The setting is outside the game though, you find it on www.sprocketidea.com, it's not that to find for newcomers...

I don't think there really is an aim assist. I've played in MP and a friend kept shooting at me with his PKM. I actually saw the tracer rounds zipping past my helmet.