Sign in to follow this  
bboy

(SP) Pinned Down [OA] ...by bboy

bboy presents...

Pinned Down

pinned_down_photo.jpg

Description:

One of the ACR patrol was ambushed in the village of Zavarak. Surrounded by a numerically superior enemy, the few remaining are struggling for survival. Get there and save these guys until it's too late... Lead a squad and take them out.

Features:

- no adons needed (Operation Arrowhead only...)

- U.S. Special Forces

- helicopter insertion and extraction

- switchable units

- tasks for each member

Hello everybody, it's bboy again! I present you my single player mission number four, "Pinned Down"... I'm in progress making one little campaign with some of my older missions and some new... So this mission will be there also... But i can not wait till then to show you... Cos' i think that is sooo good! Why? I speent a looot of time to make every "dot on his spot"... First i started to make this with BAF soldiers... but cos' maybe someone dont have BAF, for now... it's maken only with OA addons... Till now i gave you four beautiful single missions... and i didnt ask nothing... Well now i will... FEEDBACK! To know how to upgrade myself just better and better, i need to know what you people like and what dont like... I need to say that im not lover of COOP, then single player and campaigns... so you know what type im making... keep that in mind... Write me and i'll write you! In every my mission you will find full briefing, tasks for each switchable units... markers, photos... everything to make it just genuine... Take care people and good gaming!

http://sharebee.com/b05e16c8

Edited by bboy

Appreciate the work on missions for us SP players bboy. I'll DL tonight, try it out and share my thoughts.

Appreciate the work on missions for us SP players bboy. I'll DL tonight, try it out and share my thoughts.

Thank you man... I appreciate this! Its a brand new day! Somebody else played this mission already or what?

Still looking for some time to finish it. Played like 10 minutes, that was very nice!

Still looking for some time to finish it. Played like 10 minutes, that was very nice!

Thanks man... Write me when you done! I want to hear your opinion... Good gaming!

Hi bboy,

I tried the mission last night and the Takiban really kicked our sorry asses! I have ACE 2, GL4 and parts of SLX running. If you have that combination, fighting some 30 -or maybe 50? opponents with a smaller force (at least I think they are that many) isn't run&gun, no matter how well equipped you are.

In the end, I had no ammo left for my last fighting fit soldier and was trapped within a house near the insertion besides the body of the last teammate who had died from ACE bloodloss just after being dragged into that relative safety.

The Takiban knew we were there because of the desperate shooting out of various windows which had killed some four or five of them. Then, when no more fire bursted out, they rushed in with four guys while the others checked around the outside.

I knifed one of them with the SLX melee feature which gives you a bayonet automatically in each mission, but then it was over. AK bursts, one last handgrenade to take them with me, and then... blackness.

I'll try again now, really intense CQB there. Just what people need who cannot play the BIG scenarios on their rig.

keep up the great work,

touristo

I tried a second time today and made it to the end!

This time I got much further into the mission before suffering any casualties.

I'll put my AAR in spoiler tags, though, just in case it gives away too much...

I "ordered" my medic into a house by teamswitching to him, then back to squad leader. I kept up with the supporting Infantry teams and made my medic dart out from time to time to cure their incapacitated/wounded which helped the mission a lot.

You know, keeping up the cumulative firepower and all... But we couldn't avoid BOTH choppers to be shot down, so it was some CQB again mixed with long range shooting once the enemy reinforcements came.

This time I tried to pop the enemy squad/team leaders whenever identifying one as commanding. That dropped enemy morale quite a bit, and some six or eight Takiban surrendered (GL4) after being wounded or having lost their team.

But once we had the ACR soldiers and the fresh Takiban attacked from every direction, it was all about getting out of there! During our hasty leap frog retreat, one of my original team died due to friendly fire from our LSW gunner.

When the Chinook was already incoming, I lost another man of my team to a unlucky AK bullet. After all, I got the job done and my covering fire "rescued" the pilots of the second chopper as well, although unintentional,who had managed to do an emergency landing and sprinted towards Chinook LZ.

Thanks to GL4 recruiting, one might in that case add them to the team and thus get them into the extraction chopper as well, but since I had believed them to be dead, I had climbed in already after the last Czech soldier was inside, so the mission was over before I could recruit them. Still, technically they were safe, and that made me feel even more sucessful.

To prove you it was not "Rambo Style" how I finished the mission, I'll try to upload a sreenshot showing a rather low kill count for the Lt. tomorrow.

Thank you for a great mission, bboy!:icon_dj:

Im so glad with your feedback Touristo! You made my day! As you can see, lot of them already watching and probably dowloading and playing this mission, but they dont writting! I wonderning why... But you had a lot of fun with my mission and that makes me happy! I dont use any of addons or mods, this is straight OA. During the creation of this mission a tested it a lot of time, a lot of time! One thing that i liked the most with this mission is that is all random! Every time you playing its a different scenario! Sometimes both chopper survive and youve been picked up by one of them, sometimes chopper can destroy the reinforcement in trucks, from the left, or from the right... You'll never know how hard it can be when you replay the mission. And that so good! Thanks again man! I appreciate this! Take care

Hi bboy,

Played the mission today. Or tried to ;).

First of all, we are not native English speakers, so a briefing with some errors is OK. But please refrain from using things like " cos' " instead of "because". It brings down a military briefing to the level of a leet dude's internet post.

Now about the mission. First the two helicopters flew way too high and almost on top of the village we had to seize, instead of following the road from the North at low level. This resulted in the chopper carrying the support troops coming under fire, and starting to smoke. After unloading the troops, it started providing support, but flying right above the village, so it got shot down within a minute.

Now the ground. Both support groups started running down the road towards the village as soon as they landed, before I could even tell my guys to disembark, and having landed closer, they stormed into the village by themselves and were nearly exterminated. This is not what is expected from support groups.

Why did HQ order the two support groups to go INTO the village (that's my group's job) instead of the high hills on both sides? Why was the ingress path so badly chosen? All things considered we had suffered heavy casualties, higher than the guys we were supposed to rescue, so I had to abort the operation at this point, before even entering the village.

Well, my blackhawk didnt even take off and after I killed the pilot and flew to the designated waypoint, there was no village, it was just in the middle of nowhere...

In contrast to the last two comments, it played out fine for me. :)

@VitaminA

This could just be another classic Arma bug in which a simple restart may result in different outcomes. I've played missions where it all goes wrong, then hit restart and it works smoothly...Just one of the many wonders of the Armaverse.

A very nice mission with an extremely intense firefight.

Take off/drop off went smoothly, it was nice to see some tracers as we touched down, added to the suspense and atmosphere - I knew it wouldn't be long before they were aiming at me...

I tried moving up the main road the first time but it proved rather difficult, enemies coming out of buildings and from behind the walls kept pinning us down and eventually an RPG took out 2 of my teammates just after i was wounded so i decided to restart.

So the next time i took to the hill on the right and found a few vantage points, got alot further this time and after i thought we had cleared most of the town we started moving down hill only to get cut up by a couple of unseen enemy MGs.

It was also a nice touch to see the choppers go down as we moved in ;) At first i thought it was a bug but the radio messages quickly corrected me...Though it didn't remove the panic of no longer having air support.

Will definitely keep trying until i complete it, and will report any bugs if they appear but it seems solid so far.

Keep up the good work mate.

In contrast to the last two comments, it played out fine for me. :)

@VitaminA

This could just be another classic Arma bug in which a simple restart may result in different outcomes. I've played missions where it all goes wrong, then hit restart and it works smoothly...Just one of the many wonders of the Armaverse.

A very nice mission with an extremely intense firefight.

Take off/drop off went smoothly, it was nice to see some tracers as we touched down, added to the suspense and atmosphere - I knew it wouldn't be long before they were aiming at me...

I tried moving up the main road the first time but it proved rather difficult, enemies coming out of buildings and from behind the walls kept pinning us down and eventually an RPG took out 2 of my teammates just after i was wounded so i decided to restart.

So the next time i took to the hill on the right and found a few vantage points, got alot further this time and after i thought we had cleared most of the town we started moving down hill only to get cut up by a couple of unseen enemy MGs.

It was also a nice touch to see the choppers go down as we moved in ;) At first i thought it was a bug but the radio messages quickly corrected me...Though it didn't remove the panic of no longer having air support.

Will definitely keep trying until i complete it, and will report any bugs if they appear but it seems solid so far.

Keep up the good work mate.

You understand the whole point Nokturnal1ne! Like you already writed, VitaminA had a bad start, a bug in Arma, not in the mission. A couple of times to me happens the same thing when i tested that mission, or just my chopper start to fly before chooper 2, then he hit him... Its all just a BUGS in the Arma, not mine.... Simple restart is nedded.

About a mission... My intention was to make mission with intense firefight. The shooting at choppers, the tracers are also part of what i wannet you to see. For me is so hot, as i can see also for you Nokturnal! The story was that is an emergency rescue, so you can imagine how can it be... A lot of casulties from our side are also considered. I wannet for you to have, a hard, intensive enter in the village, and a hard return back to the chopper, as the OPFOR reinforcement comming after... Some times you can see a coiple of MGs from reiforcement who chaising a chooper near LZ and fire at him till you trying to escape... That is also a good part, by me... You need to understand one thing about the mission, it is extremly random! Everytime you restart, or replay it can be different scenario!

Thank you for playing this mission Nokturnal and thank you so much for fedback! Take care

---------- Post added at 01:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:47 PM ----------

Hi bboy,

Played the mission today. Or tried to ;).

First of all, we are not native English speakers, so a briefing with some errors is OK. But please refrain from using things like " cos' " instead of "because". It brings down a military briefing to the level of a leet dude's internet post.

Now about the mission. First the two helicopters flew way too high and almost on top of the village we had to seize, instead of following the road from the North at low level. This resulted in the chopper carrying the support troops coming under fire, and starting to smoke. After unloading the troops, it started providing support, but flying right above the village, so it got shot down within a minute.

Now the ground. Both support groups started running down the road towards the village as soon as they landed, before I could even tell my guys to disembark, and having landed closer, they stormed into the village by themselves and were nearly exterminated. This is not what is expected from support groups.

Why did HQ order the two support groups to go INTO the village (that's my group's job) instead of the high hills on both sides? Why was the ingress path so badly chosen? All things considered we had suffered heavy casualties, higher than the guys we were supposed to rescue, so I had to abort the operation at this point, before even entering the village.

First of all, thank you for playing my mission mate, and thank you for feedback! Its a good thing reminding me about my english. I know i need to work on that... Read comment that i left to Nokturnal1no, you'll understand my point with this mission... Take care

Its a good thing reminding me about my english. I know i need to work on that... Read comment that i left to Nokturnal1no, you'll understand my point with this mission...

Like I said, I don't have a problem with your English, it is obvious that mine isn't perfect either. It's the use of some expressions that have no place in a military briefing that I have a problem with, like "cos'". Why not "pwn", "lol" and "kthxbye"? ;)

As for the mission, I know what it was about. But we are playing Arma here, not BFBC2 nor CoD. We strive for things that make sense, not gunfights designed for games with health bars and infinite respawn of friendlies. A rescue, no matter the emergency, will not be planned so as to generate even more casualties than the number or people to save. Anyone planning it the way it is planned in this mission will be court-martialed :).

Also, I don't like missions with mots of stuff coming from all directions, stuff that is beyond the abilities of friendly AI to cope with. Nor when AI is scripted to do stupid things I cannot control. Which in the end makes the player reload like 100 times during the mission, which is not very fun either.

But hey, remove all mentions of a rescue, write something about a deathmatch and lots of frags, and I'm with you :).

Like I said, I don't have a problem with your English, it is obvious that mine isn't perfect either. It's the use of some expressions that have no place in a military briefing that I have a problem with, like "cos'". Why not "pwn", "lol" and "kthxbye"? ;)

As for the mission, I know what it was about. But we are playing Arma here, not BFBC2 nor CoD. We strive for things that make sense, not gunfights designed for games with health bars and infinite respawn of friendlies. A rescue, no matter the emergency, will not be planned so as to generate even more casualties than the number or people to save. Anyone planning it the way it is planned in this mission will be court-martialed :).

Also, I don't like missions with mots of stuff coming from all directions, stuff that is beyond the abilities of friendly AI to cope with. Nor when AI is scripted to do stupid things I cannot control. Which in the end makes the player reload like 100 times during the mission, which is not very fun either.

But hey, remove all mentions of a rescue, write something about a deathmatch and lots of frags, and I'm with you :).

Remember Somalia and "Black Hawk Down"... They didnt know what they going in to... ;)

Hey y'all,

have yet to complete your mission bboy. Very intense mission. I kinda see where neofit is coming from... it is like a bunch of headless chicken charging a forest with rabies infested foxes.

BUT!!!!...I have a lot of fun playing it. :D On second try I made it half-way through the mission...

After I find the guys I see the first truck coming and we can get a lot of the opfors disembarking. Next thing I try to break contact with them...turn around a corner and see another like 20 enemies and another truck on the other side of town. This was when they really messed up my squad.

Maybe other the squad could wait a little bit so there is something like a line formation of the squads before entering the town. And also not everybody going through that one street.

Still I very much like the intense fire fights going on. :)

Thanky you bboy!!

Hey y'all,

have yet to complete your mission bboy. Very intense mission. I kinda see where neofit is coming from... it is like a bunch of headless chicken charging a forest with rabies infested foxes.

BUT!!!!...I have a lot of fun playing it. :D On second try I made it half-way through the mission...

After I find the guys I see the first truck coming and we can get a lot of the opfors disembarking. Next thing I try to break contact with them...turn around a corner and see another like 20 enemies and another truck on the other side of town. This was when they really messed up my squad.

Maybe other the squad could wait a little bit so there is something like a line formation of the squads before entering the town. And also not everybody going through that one street.

Still I very much like the intense fire fights going on. :)

Thanky you bboy!!

Thank YOU Rosentrof! Im so glad that i found people with the same taste for missions! Thank you for playing and thank for feedback!

Now, finally I've had an hour to play with arma again. On one hand, I am very happy that I chose this mission to spend my little time with, on the other hand I left angry again!

First to neofit: I guess there is a fair bunch of guys, who like action oriented missions on the fine balanced line between CoD and realistic simulation. I am one of them: I like action not caring about realism THAT much,still allowing player to move free on a map.

I need to agree on reinforcements though: Those seemed a bit unneccessary, as they did nothing, but rushed in the village and got butchered down. This was a bit immersion breaking.

But after that little ..khmm.. incident I enjoyed this CQ shootout mission very much: I managed to find a good spot north of the village, so my guys could watch my back, until I found the lost guys, and they could handle the truckload of enemies fine.

The way out of town was the real strength and speciality of the mission: it came off sooo epic to me, it could have gone to a war movie!! It was a legendary 10 minutes, with buddies running to LZ and I am trying to hold off enemy, while running backwards, spiced with some injuries and little rescue missions. :)

But then the real breaker came out from blue sky (I mean it didn't quite came.)

We had a bird left, which -when spotted us- started heading to LZ. We all were there, there were only some enemy left running for us, which a BlackHawk could have easily handled: but they refused to land. Just hovered there for like 5 minutes, when they got shot down. Then a Chinook arrived, and hovered another 3 mins above LZ, and that was the point, when I exited with sadness...

There are methods, that make a heli land even while being fired on, I guess one of those could have been used for this mission, since the bird spent like half an hour in the heat of the battle.

Anyways, thanks, and keep it up, I really like your missions!

The way out of town was the real strength and speciality of the mission: it came off sooo epic to me, it could have gone to a war movie!! It was a legendary 10 minutes, with buddies running to LZ and I am trying to hold off enemy, while running backwards, spiced with some injuries and little rescue missions. :) QUOTE]

That was the key of the mission mate! That i wannet for you to have! Running back like crazy and thinking only about board that chopper... ;)

About LZ... When you came back with that ACR patrol on the LZ, and when chopper came above (no matter which...) you need "manually" to order your man to board him... in other case he wont land... When i tested that mission i liked to do one thing... For example, if both UH-60 is shot down, and when you pick up patrol from the house, other CH chopper comming... You can see him from the village how he hovering above the LZ. From there you can order to all you man (or just few of them) to board him, and he will touch the ground (on the LZ) and wait for all of you to board him... Nice thing to make your people to run back and not to fight unnesesary... ;)

you need "manually" to order your man to board him... in other case he wont land...

And indeed...

If I had known it!!

This is a very unusual way, but works. Although the hovering heli is a bit strange and not that immersive IMHO. It definitely looks like an ARMA bug. :)

So I guess you should indicate somehow, somewhere how this works. Or is it only me, who missed it?

And indeed...

If I had known it!!

This is a very unusual way, but works. Although the hovering heli is a bit strange and not that immersive IMHO. It definitely looks like an ARMA bug. :)

So I guess you should indicate somehow, somewhere how this works. Or is it only me, who missed it?

It's already written... check your briefing... ;)

It's already written... check your briefing... ;)

And indeed... :D

Sorry it is my bad then. I thougth I would read briefing about LZ out, when I leave town. I forgot it in the too much heat though. :)

Hi bboy, enjoyed this one as much as Broken Wing, but it made me realize something. In Broken Wing where it was wide open area, you gave the player a CQC scope, and in Penned Down, where it IS close quarters, you gave the player an acog... Other than that, your missions are very good.

Just played this mission last night. I ran into a few issues though. The mission did not show up anywhere in game. I had to actually go into the directory and open the game from the mission .pbo which would then open the game and take me to the mission briefing screen.

I played it with ACE ACE_X ACE_SX CBA CBA_OA and ZuessAI. When I tried to revert the mission from a save point I would get an error message and when it would bring me too the game, it would be from my save point, but the game is frozen and I can't move, see my gun, or use any menus besides pressing esc to get to main pause menu.

Since your mission was made with no add_ons I think maybe that's why I am having trouble saving it? I haven't tried playing it without add_ons yet, but I just can't seem to bring myself to turn ACE and Zuess off, the game is just so much better with those mods on.

With all that said, my first play through I was able to get to the little open market place right before the waypoint around the area the forces are pinned down at. As soon as I stepped out of cover and into the open, I was lit up from my flank up the mountains. I had to bring another team member over to heal that guy. I dragged the wounded member out of the market and into the building to the north. Well as I am applying first aid I get rushed by a few Taki's from the south. I heal my guy and we start engaging. I was using suppressive fire to try to keep them pinned down while I tried to get my other 2 team members into a flanking position to their west. That's when the AI started lobbing grenades at me, killing off 2 of my team.

At that point I tried to revert to last save point and ran into the problems mentioned above.

I thought the mission was pretty nice. From what I saw of it, and for how "far" I got through it, I thought the immersion was nice, it was action packed from the start and it really had a feeling of a sense of urgency. AI was all around, and while they mostly came from in front, The AI on the flanks of the cities in the mountains was a real nice touch... kind of a little something to keep you on your toes.

Reading this thread, it sounds like the best part of the mission is the extraction, which if that's the case, the mission should be nearly epic, as I was having a blast, and didn't even make it to the pinned down soldiers.

I'm going to try to give it a go again today and hopefully can make it through without having to restart, as I rather do it that way then turn the mods off. :P

ALSO

I downloaded Broken Wing as well, just like Pinned Down, it wouldn't show up in any of the SP menus in game. So I tried to open directly from .pbo and I get the error message about missing some CA_weapons_ammoboxes file or something, so I was unable to play that mission, or even get it to the briefing screen. I noticed someone else in either this thread or the broken wing thread had this same problem and he was kind of brushed aside and never given a clear reason as to why he would get this message. Well I just want to confirm that he isn't the only one getting this error. Maybe it has something to do with playing with the addons? Might be something to look into.

But keep up the good work bboy, I had fun with your mission last night, and hopefully I can complete it today.

Edit:

Alright, I just tried this mission again. This time after my teams were inserted on the ground, BOTH blackhawk's got shot down when they were making their first pass over the city. Great attention to detail, planning for this possibility. This made the mission extremely difficult, as I had no air support, and couldn't even follow the tracers to get an idea of where enemy troops might be. I ended up using a lot of ammo getting into the city, and only had 3 clips left to do the mission with, at least on the one team member. I ended up getting shredded as soon as I got into the city.

Restarted and tried again, and this time only 1 blackhawk got shot down so it atleast gave me a fighting chance. I'm finding out that I am using way too much ammo at the beginning of the mission as again I used at least 3 clips to make my way into the city. Once in the city I was able to use cover and avoid getting into prolonged firefights. This time I made it too the waypoint and beyond but ended up dieing before I was able to locate the pinned down soldiers.

Unfortunately I don't think I can complete this mission without being able to save at least once. I might shut off all the mods and see if that helps my problems, but it will have to wait until the old lady goes to work later today :-(

Edited by Rail82

Just played this mission last night. I ran into a few issues though. The mission did not show up anywhere in game. I had to actually go into the directory and open the game from the mission .pbo which would then open the game and take me to the mission briefing screen.

I played it with ACE ACE_X ACE_SX CBA CBA_OA and ZuessAI. When I tried to revert the mission from a save point I would get an error message and when it would bring me too the game, it would be from my save point, but the game is frozen and I can't move, see my gun, or use any menus besides pressing esc to get to main pause menu.

Since your mission was made with no add_ons I think maybe that's why I am having trouble saving it? I haven't tried playing it without add_ons yet, but I just can't seem to bring myself to turn ACE and Zuess off, the game is just so much better with those mods on.

With all that said, my first play through I was able to get to the little open market place right before the waypoint around the area the forces are pinned down at. As soon as I stepped out of cover and into the open, I was lit up from my flank up the mountains. I had to bring another team member over to heal that guy. I dragged the wounded member out of the market and into the building to the north. Well as I am applying first aid I get rushed by a few Taki's from the south. I heal my guy and we start engaging. I was using suppressive fire to try to keep them pinned down while I tried to get my other 2 team members into a flanking position to their west. That's when the AI started lobbing grenades at me, killing off 2 of my team.

At that point I tried to revert to last save point and ran into the problems mentioned above.

I thought the mission was pretty nice. From what I saw of it, and for how "far" I got through it, I thought the immersion was nice, it was action packed from the start and it really had a feeling of a sense of urgency. AI was all around, and while they mostly came from in front, The AI on the flanks of the cities in the mountains was a real nice touch... kind of a little something to keep you on your toes.

Reading this thread, it sounds like the best part of the mission is the extraction, which if that's the case, the mission should be nearly epic, as I was having a blast, and didn't even make it to the pinned down soldiers.

I'm going to try to give it a go again today and hopefully can make it through without having to restart, as I rather do it that way then turn the mods off. :P

ALSO

I downloaded Broken Wing as well, just like Pinned Down, it wouldn't show up in any of the SP menus in game. So I tried to open directly from .pbo and I get the error message about missing some CA_weapons_ammoboxes file or something, so I was unable to play that mission, or even get it to the briefing screen. I noticed someone else in either this thread or the broken wing thread had this same problem and he was kind of brushed aside and never given a clear reason as to why he would get this message. Well I just want to confirm that he isn't the only one getting this error. Maybe it has something to do with playing with the addons? Might be something to look into.

But keep up the good work bboy, I had fun with your mission last night, and hopefully I can complete it today.

Edit:

Alright, I just tried this mission again. This time after my teams were inserted on the ground, BOTH blackhawk's got shot down when they were making their first pass over the city. Great attention to detail, planning for this possibility. This made the mission extremely difficult, as I had no air support, and couldn't even follow the tracers to get an idea of where enemy troops might be. I ended up using a lot of ammo getting into the city, and only had 3 clips left to do the mission with, at least on the one team member. I ended up getting shredded as soon as I got into the city.

Restarted and tried again, and this time only 1 blackhawk got shot down so it atleast gave me a fighting chance. I'm finding out that I am using way too much ammo at the beginning of the mission as again I used at least 3 clips to make my way into the city. Once in the city I was able to use cover and avoid getting into prolonged firefights. This time I made it too the waypoint and beyond but ended up dieing before I was able to locate the pinned down soldiers.

Unfortunately I don't think I can complete this mission without being able to save at least once. I might shut off all the mods and see if that helps my problems, but it will have to wait until the old lady goes to work later today :-(

I'm glad that you had fun with my mission Rail82... I think that the problem with other mission, Broken Wing, is that cos' i put some ammo boxes from Arma2. So if you dont have it, its a problem... But it's my mistake... I will modify that later... Thaks again!