Sign in to follow this  
MikDawg

PMC AA-12 Shotgun sights.

Sorry, this is going to be more of a whining than a suggestion, but the AA-12 sights are not usable - way too small! I haven't seen the real deal and they might be accurately replicated, but I think no one would be upset if they would be larger for the sake of gameplay, right now you can hind behind the sights from about 20m away.

arma2OA2010-11-3023-29-20-21.jpg

http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/ll132/Mikudze/ARMA2/arma2OA2010-11-3023-29-22-60.jpg

also the barn door is bugged, I can't walk trough it, have to press "v" to get over the doorstep and bullets seem to be hitting the door even when it is open (that is on the "Proving grounds"of course):

http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/ll132/Mikudze/ARMA2/arma2OA2010-12-0122-49-20-97.jpg

BTW love the new map, only wish it would be larger.

Cheers

Edited by Rellikki

My experience is that you don't need to aim properly with the aa-12. You just blow everything out of the way. Very impressive weapon for CQB

That's pretty much the case with any weapon sights in Arma 2. And I agree that it should be fixed. Looking through weapon sights doesn't look like that. They should be a little faded / transparent around the aiming point.

Yes please. The opening is tiny but it would be okay, barely, if the end part of the sight didn't block the opening making it completely impossible to see what you are pointing at.

the problem is that ArmA fails to simulate how ironsight work. The hole in a typical military diopter type sight is 2 mm wide and very close to the eye...it would look like this and practically fill the most of the screen.

That is one thing that's beautiful about CoD. They can blur everything on your screen except the front post with their tiny little maps and streamlined graphics engine.

I bet they don't do it right, but it looks very immersive.

The reason they are like that is in order to keep the sight alignment when they are floating, the camera has to be at the pivot point of the animation. The pivot point is probably near the shoulder or the clavical of the firing arm, so the soldier's eye is very near the butt stock. In reality, the eye is much nearer the wrist of the firing hand on average. So you can see that the eye is something like 6 inches too far back.

i agree those sights are small - mainly meaned the rear one "hole" should be bigger to see where is the gun pointing

That is one thing that's beautiful about CoD. They can blur everything on your screen except the front post with their tiny little maps and streamlined graphics engine.

I bet they don't do it right, but it looks very immersive.

If you examine the weapon models in CoD:Black Ops you'll find that the sights are in fact disproportionally large compared to the real deal. From a technical standpoint this is incorrect-- but from a practical one? It prevents ironsights such as the picture above so very abtly illustrates and ensures weapons are easy/practical to use.

Frankly releasing a weapon with excessively obtrusive ironsights smacks of lazyness and weak game design. All this being equal I'd rather have functional weapon sights than thoughtless replicas.

-k

This same problem was in infiltration. The weapons felt really good but the sites were too small. If BIS made the iron sight camera and pivot point up to the player's wrist, you could then decrease the zoom a little and have a slightly more realistic FOV- the problem here is that not all weapons are made equal and if you do this, there might be pieces of the gun sticking into the eye. Also, there would need to be a change in the animated arms of the model, which I think would require a weird hierarchy and would cause the buttstock to slide around on the shoulder of the soldier model.

I've yet to play a game that properly simulated sights. In this case, with the AA-12, I usually aim at the center mass, so the head is just above the peak of the outer edge of the sight. This way I can see if he drops, and it's a much more likely hit. Sure, it usually hits in the stomach and groin area instead, but it still punches enough to take down the target.

Unfortunately, that's a bit of a non-sequitor, Mark Interiis, because there is no way to simulate that with ArmA's technology. You can't really have the weapons sights taking up the whole screen and yet only half of it while being off-centre but centred and aligned at the same time.

I think having it be partly seethrough is a very good compromise.

My comment was meant to keep the QCB somewhat in line with how real life works also.

Edited by Mark Interiis

Ahem.

There is no way to do that with ArmA's technology. You can either blurr the crap out of it until it doesn't look like weapon sights anymore, or you can make the model semi transparent, and then you can see through it like an xray... you see all of the components in your fov... you can see the receiver through the carry handle, the front sights through the rear sights... it looks like a ghost weapon, not like it's out of focus between two cameras.

Personally after goofing around with the AA-12 a bit I have to say that if this were easier to aim the 12ga. HE rounds would turn this into a mobile M242 Bushmaster.

If the model was tweaked to allow a wider field of view through the sight aperture I'd want to see a lot more dispersion added to the HE shells to make hitting anything a crapshoot past about 100 yards.

ooops , really this ironsight should be fixed, probably eye-point is in wrong place