Sign in to follow this  
Sintacks

Does the A.I. have unlimited ammo?

Hey everyone. Just wondering if the AI has unlimited ammo when using the Editor to play a custom mission. I created a little mission with a few enemy tanks. One of them spotted me but I disappeared into the darkness and it lost sight of me. For some reason it kept firing at my last known position forever. I waited and waited and waited for it to run out of ammo so I could run back and grab my Javelin but it never ran out of ammo. Is there a way to make it so they have a realistic amount of ammo? TIA.

Hey everyone. Just wondering if the AI has unlimited ammo when using the Editor to play a custom mission. I created a little mission with a few enemy tanks. One of them spotted me but I disappeared into the darkness and it lost sight of me. For some reason it kept firing at my last known position forever. I waited and waited and waited for it to run out of ammo so I could run back and grab my Javelin but it never ran out of ammo. Is there a way to make it so they have a realistic amount of ammo? TIA.
A.I. does run out of ammo..its just that a tank has like 1800 rounds in the coax and 500 in the commander MG. Takes a while to empty that.

Thanks for answering. Yeh I guess that would take a while to empty! Do you think soldiers have limited ammo as well?

Edited by Sintacks

Thanks guys! that's good to know. I guess I can customize it. I remember I sat there for probably 45 mins waiting for this tank to complete his rounds but I should have waited longer!

Unlimited ammo can be achieved with scripting, but by default everything consumes ammo. Better yet, AI commanded units will always attempt to rearm when they are out of or low on ammo.

Thanks guys! that's good to know. I guess I can customize it. I remember I sat there for probably 45 mins waiting for this tank to complete his rounds but I should have waited longer!

Are you bloody serious? 45 mins?

Unlimited ammo can be achieved with scripting, but by default everything consumes ammo. Better yet, AI commanded units will always attempt to rearm when they are out of or low on ammo.

So... has anyone ever seen AI pick up a non-native weapon? Example, a US Marine is out of ammo and picks up an AK47 because its the only thing around.

They didn't in my test, The AI walked up to the body and searched the gear, but all they took was the RGO grenades, not the loaded AK.

You can find user mods that can make this possible though.

And if you are in command of the AI yourself, you can order them to move to the body, check gear(6, gear), and select the weapon yourself.

Edited by sparks50

So... has anyone ever seen AI pick up a non-native weapon? Example, a US Marine is out of ammo and picks up an AK47 because its the only thing around.

They only pick up ammo for their primary weapon, by default they will never switch weapons. And only when ordered by their leader.

o h man , you sound like not OFP player :] you fight only with unarmed enemy or god-mode ?

They didn't in my test, The AI walked up to the body and searched the gear, but all they took was the RGO grenades, not the loaded AK.

You can find user mods that can make this possible though.

And if you are in command of the AI yourself, you can order them to move to the body, check gear(6, gear), and select the weapon yourself.

Wow that's awesome. :D Arma rules

---------- Post added at 12:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:28 PM ----------

o h man , you sound like not OFP player :] you fight only with unarmed enemy or god-mode ?

Lol.. No I was trying to get back to my Javelin which I had dropped in the middle of a field by accident. I don't wanna go against a tank with small arms

Try out ASR AI Rearming, works great. They'll even pick up AT if you show up in a tank and start thinning them out and AA if you show up in an ATKH to ruin their day.

No. AI lacks the ability to understand when it's appropriate to pick up a new weapon, but they can be ordered to (by players or scripted).