Sign in to follow this  
Mighty_Joker

Can never spot enemy soldiers

Hi all

Anyone remember the days of if you are laid down in the grass you can be seen?

No pleasing everyone.

BIS took note and finaly matched the intervals of the histograms of the camoflage to the real world clutter, in their simulations equivalents. So that the percentage of optical difference between camoed unit and its background at euivalent LOD levels is the same in the simulation as it is in reality.

Now all those other FPS players and old OFP players have shock in ArmA II the camoflage paterns work! ArmA II is a simulation not just an Ego Booster.

So now you have to do what a real soldier does. Stay still, Stay low, keep watching, move slowly, stay clear of ridge lines, move from cover and concealment to cover and concealment, minimise time in the open.

Read the hints an tips and follow the links to ArmA II's Bible Dslyecxi's ArmA II Tactics, Techniques, and Procedures Guide and the ArmA II Battle Drills

Kind Regards walker

Awesome links brother.

move slowly, stay clear of ridge lines, move from cover and concealment to cover and concealment, minimise time in the open

The question was not how to stay unseen, but how to see the others better. To which I can only think of :

- Bigger monitor with higher resolution (AA could help in some cases...)

- Play on recruit mode with the blips and map info

- Use the spacebar to scan horizon

- Zoom and take your time indeed.

This isn't COD, MW2, or MOH. This game is meant to be more of a military simulation. Situational awareness is key, and your enemy's job is to hide in cover and concealment until you reveal yourself. This game is as close as you can get to being an actual grunt besides actually enlisting as a Marine 0311 or Army 11b.

What's the deal with everyone repeating IT'S A SIM, NOT COD OR MW2 LOL WHAT DID YOU EXPECT?

I think everyone understands that at this point, since it seems to be the one thing that every thread has in common.

It's cool that it's a sim, not a stupid arcade-strawberryjam type of game, but it's not that cool.

Edited by Concurssi

The question was not how to stay unseen, but how to see the others better...

Hi EricM

No.

The questions has and will always be who sees the other first?

To ensure that you are the one who sees the other first you need to move slowly, stay clear of ridge lines, move from cover and concealment to cover and concealment, minimise time in the open.

People often do get that question wrong, you are not the first, I used to get it wrong too.

Kind Regards walker

Edited by walker

In games such a Warfare, and even during the SP missions, my squad-mates are spotting enemy soldiers hundreds of meters away and engaging them. I find myself spending the whole engagement holding the right mouse button to zoom in just trying to find them.

This is especially acute in Arma 2 vanilla where the clock indicator doesn't work. Saying "200 meters to our right" isn't very helpful in a large and populated map.

What are some settings I can turn on that will help to point out the enemies. Sometimes when a squad leaders orders me to engage, I get a red target appear. Is there anyway for this to pop up to notify my of an enemy's positions.

Thanks

P.S. The game is at max settings, so it's nothing to do with visibility or poor graphics.

i have the same problem...

In the factual book "Bravo-Two-Zero" about an SAS patrol dropped behind enemy lines in Iraq at night, the author said something like- "We debarked from the Chinook, fanned out to cover and lay quietly as the chopper left. This is standard procedure, to lay low for a while soaking up the atmosphere of the area, watching and listening for every little sound and movement"

As I said earlier, it works in AA too, as to go running around like headless chickens right from the start is a big no-no.

By laying still using your eyeballs/binocs/weapon sights/NV goggles and thermal imaging etc, you'll pick up the slightest enemy movement.

That Spacebar hint - my spacebar selects all my units, how can Spacebar be used to scan for OPFORs?

Thanks,

OP

)rStrangelove;1801664']set Post-Rendering-Effects (?) to OFF and you shall see.

THIS.... will remove the butter from your eyes ;)

That Spacebar hint - my spacebar selects all my units, how can Spacebar be used to scan for OPFORs?

When you select your units, it has a side effect of discovering units when you hover your mouse over them, so that you can tell you guys to attack or move to for instance...

Heres what I've learned from playing CTI Warfare for about more than a year now... (Mostly Veteran mode)

Your scope is your best friend, specially if it's a thermal scope. I don't really bother with guns with CQB sights... (Except AA12 hehe) You can easily shoot an enemy at close range without even aiming through the sights, even without a crosshair.

If the bullets don't hit, the enemy will most likely dive for cover giving you time to find cover and reload. If it's an AI you're up against, your bullets better hit or find cover asap. Full auto or semi auto, not really much difference, you can just spam or hold left click, I've emptied SVD mags in CQB into enemies with fully automatic weapons.

I prefer using a high caliber weapon (7.62mm or higher) due to it most likely killing the enemy with 1 shot to the chest at close to medium range fights.

Don't just look at your crosshair on the screen, look around your screen, don't ignore any movement, if you see even a small figure pop out for a second, do not ignore it... It might be a harmless bunny or maybe it's an enemy that has it's sights on your head. Even if the area is "safe" always be ready for any enemies.

Listen for sounds. Sometimes, when an enemy fires at me, I listen to the gun fire and look for the direction the sound is coming from. Of course, you have to dive in for a good cover first where the enemy does not have a line of sight on you.

If you have AI units with you, once they spot an enemy, press #2, it will show a list of the enemies your AI(s) has spotted and will tell which direction they are at. (Using 1 to 12 o'clock)

For instance.. Yesterday, I was in a T-72 in Warfare, a guy fired 2 MAAWS rockets into my T-72 (Heavily damaged, turret disabled), my AI spotted him, I pressed #2 and found from which direction it came from, my AI in the Commander seat kept him pinned down with it's .50 machine gun (I told the AI to engage through the #2 menu) while I repaired the T-72 and shot HE shells at the forest which eventually killed the enemy.

What's the deal with everyone repeating IT'S A SIM, NOT COD OR MW2 LOL WHAT DID YOU EXPECT?

I think everyone understands that at this point, since it seems to be the one thing that every thread has in common.

It's cool that it's a sim, not a stupid arcade-strawberryjam type of game, but it's not that cool.

Because every time it has to be said, as most (not every) of the time the persons issues relate to playing it that way = the reason of the issue. Not becuase we all think the suns shines out the arse of the sim ... but to make it clear of the differences.

I hear that lie still will hide you. Bull to the sht . I play multiplayer. O can lie still in a tree using only my head too look around. And sudenly i get shot from an actualy invisible player. Is cheats common in arma 2?

1. Reviving 4years old thread? seriously?

2. Liing in still in shadow in grass will slightly lower probability of you being spotted. But it will not make you invisible.

3. The thing that you didnt see the player, doesnt mean he was invisible, or cheating. He was probably just better concealed, or wasnt where you were looking for him.