Sign in to follow this  
Geordie

Winter terrain mapping

Anyone working on anything?

Anyone tried any texturing for snow/frozen water/iced rock on a terrain?

Have a look at my 1st attempt on these grounds on Winter Pomegratskaya, it a bit crude and ofpish but you can have a look at some frozen rocks.

I actually spent a couple hours last week working on some snow/ice textures. Found making the sat images and getting everything blending well to be the biggest issue. Really need to retexture some trees, or just make some new ones though. Never had time to play around much in O2 myself.

Anyone have a winter veggy set?

I always liked your Pomegratskaya maps Old Bear, wish we had more dual season maps. :)

Here's a couple snow textures people may use for whatever purpose they so wish. I doubt I'll ever actually get around to doing a full snow map, but if someone is pursuing one in a serious manner I'd consider making a couple more for a set or whatnot. Not sure if I tried these in ArmA or not, should look decent though ;)

The less than 100kb images below are not really fair representations of the 2048² textures in the .pdfs

asg_snow_plain_tn.jpg

asg_snow_rock_tn.jpg

Cheers

Cheers for the info fellas.

I'm not sure I would attempt winter maps alone, too many variables to get right.

Community Winter Resource Project?

Textures possibly being an easier part, getting snow depth and foilage to look right might be a pain (plants barely showing through deep snow, vehicle tracks in deep snow), Maybe some seriously heavy bump mapping?

I was also thinking about atmospheric audio, that would require some heavy duty work.

Everything from vehicles to ambient sounds would be different to whats already in game. (driving on snow and ice etc)

Then theres the weather, snow squalls & realistic icing?

It is tantalising to think about regardless.

Have you seen Raunhofers "Thirsk" island Geordie? - it was a twinpack! - autumn and winter versions in the one release... worth a look if you haven't seen it already... despite not having actual snowy buildings 'n stuff, its got a great atmosphere... one of my favourite islands...

B

Have you seen Raunhofers "Thirsk" island Geordie? - it was a twinpack! - autumn and winter versions in the one release... worth a look if you haven't seen it already... despite not having actual snowy buildings 'n stuff, its got a great atmosphere... one of my favourite islands...

B

Ill check that out :)

Nice work from all these links, very nice