Sign in to follow this  
Dwarden

ARMA 2: Private Military Company 1.00 released

BIS could basically offer to send me a turd with cocktail umbrella stuck on the top and i'd STILL send them a tenner.

Sorry I cant agree, I would at the very least want a sparkler instead of a cocktail umbrella :)

How many missions are there in the campaign? I mean exactly. I know the announcement said "more than ten".

Eleven, probably ;)

New map looks small but looks promising for small-scale infantry-only (or limited vehicular support) TvT missions. Heightmap looks good and offers some opportunity for flanking and such. I guess it says a lot about BIS that I like what they did but only want MORE of it... :)

New (or 'new') weapons aren't that interesting (maybe I'll grow to them) and the character models might be good for a mission or two. I'm sure I'll use at least the chopper and the car looks fun to use at some point. We'll see. :)

after trying for longer am really enjoying the variety of the mission in the campaign

(wtf with the disperse the crowd moments though?)

great to play and work through.

am currently on the 5 mission (thinks its 5th as its the one with teh

mini gun on the SUV and the UAV

there's a lot of little touches that really are immersive - that's good. would appreciate knowing how the blowing wind/paper effect was achieved and if that can be switched on/off during missions. the wounded effect of blood on screen is good as well. AI seems more 'responsive' but that's always hard to tell and is maybe just a results of being in new content/environment.

based on quote from Dwarden

sometimes no answer is better than any other possible answer

so please enjoy the PMC-Full and have fun ...

and don't worry there will be future patches for A2: OA and all DLCs

that's interesting answer...

that small map really is good to explore, loads of nice touches, maybe needs to be bigger as mentioned before but also needs more tree variations or at least some of the trees to be rotated a little not all placed an very similar angles next to each other. great work this though.

look forward to next DLC a lot as BIS always seems to add something interesting to the game.

How many missions are there in the campaign? I mean exactly. I know the announcement said "more than ten".

Eleven linear missions in the campaign, two choice missions and a similar number of cutscenes. Some of the missions can't really be called missions though, and can be done in 2-5 minutes.

I bought it just to support BIS.. :) $10.. ppl... :rolleyes:

I'm getting more entertainment from this than i would from a 10 dollar McDonalds meal :)

It seems Steam finally got it together as reported above - hassle free purchase & install plus sent another copy as a gift - which also was reported as trouble-free...! :)

Looking forward to trying the campaign... tomorrow...

Thanks BIS!

B

got installed any special codecs, video filters (ffdshow for example) enabled postprocessing (codec filter, gpu drivers etc) or any overlay ?

we need more details about running or used software in this case

not that i know of, but i will make a more in-depth search later this week and let you know.

I'm still considering buying this DLC, my friend and coop buddies are asking me what to do. Well, first I would like to see some quality control in this paid addon products:

On the topic of this picture, those tall silos with ladders, you cant actually use the ladders to get to the top, despite being able to in ARMA 2.

Edited by W0lle
quoted image

Hi,

Why I can´t see the PMC campaign in the select screen?

Steam User, PMC Lite, no Mods.

For some reason (BIS is refusing to say why) only the non-Steam patch had the free campaign. You need to buy the DLC to get the campaign.

Gents, where do I get to play the advertised 'co-op enabled PMC armoury'? I don't see it anywhere.

For some reason (BIS is refusing to say why) only the non-Steam patch had the free campaign. You need to buy the DLC to get the campaign.

I find this pretty funny. There's a huge difference in content between the two methods of distribution and BIS are refusing to say why. Maybe we should start taking bets on what's going on?

I reckon they've decided to punish Steam users to force them to re-buy everything on Sprocket in the future.

In all seriousness these events could be viewed as exactly that and without any official word on the subject it just makes everything look even more fishy (not in a good way). If it were me I'd be jumping on the damage limitation machine asap before trading standards and the ECC got involved.

Gents, where do I get to play the advertised 'co-op enabled PMC armoury'? I don't see it anywhere.

It's just called "COOP 08 ARMORY" and has nothing to do with the PMC DLC since EVERYONE gets it and includes all vehicles and weapons from all your expansions. It's MP only so look for it either in Cherno or Takistan when creating an MP game.

I'm getting more entertainment from this than i would from a 10 dollar McDonalds meal :)

Happy meal can be a lot of fun :p

Single Player -> Armoury -> Select Takistan or Chernarus -> Press 'host' when the button lights up.

I reckon they've decided to punish Steam users to force them to re-buy everything on Sprocket in the future...

If it were me I'd be jumping on the damage limitation machine asap before trading standards and the ECC got involved.

It's not that fishy.

If you don't get the Steam version, you could buy boxed Arma2OA from a store and then get the DLC from any number of other electronic retailers. Bis would be just as out-of-pocket as if the customer had bought from Steam.

Seems more of a possibility that either the full campaign wasn't meant to be included in the lite version (odd that low-res cut scenes were included for the whole campaign in this case), or that they changed their mind after seeing community responses after the patch release (even less likely, as this would be terrible for PR relations with Steam customers).

I like the fact that PMC Lite allows us to play the campaign. I started the first mission but it´s really a pain to search buildings in rubble, i think BIS must make a decision on their physics/collision detection. When i started the mission i imagined myself there on Takistan, but when i have to go through buildings and rubble i feel it´s like a bad dream when things that don´t make sense happen. I start with a great level of adrenaline and after some minutes of playing i just get frustrated. With this annoying kind of body sticking to objects "feature" is where this amazing game gets killed.

Anyway awesome DLC!!!!! The story seems to be very cool indeed!!

I like the fact that PMC Lite allows us to play the campaign.

Who wouldn't like being given something for free if they'd been led to believe it was paid for content only.

Anyway. I've said enough on that subject...

Gotta say the campaign looks pretty cool, searching the buildings is I agree a pain with getting stuck to things etc and just when you think you're getting somewhere there's a whistle and explosion and you're dead. To be fair though between childcare duties and everything else going on in rl I haven't exactly had much time to sit down and properly concentrate on what I'm doing... Arma doesn't exactly lend itself well to that kind of gaming. The lack of ammobox does seem a bit dumb though.

Just wanna say thanks for another masterpiece.

I bought it yesterday and i really like it.

:)

I dont know, I want to get the full pack, but i dont think I will be a happy customer after I pay the money, whats the point for buying if it didn't offer as much as BAF had offered?

I finally made a decision and bought it. Perhaps some of the people who pre-ordered and regretted it will be less annoyed when they see that some people who checked it out first then chose to buy. I didn't buy to donate money to Bis and their development (I'm a Yorkshireman=cheapskate), but for the units and kit you get for the cash. I wonder if the video playback will stutter for me? Edit: No, it doesn't.

*I wouldn't have made this decision if I hadn't been able to play a lite-version of the campaign, so whatever the reason for it being included, it was good marketing for some players.*

No spoilers, just long post mithering about my opinions:

I really bought it because I actually like to have PMC units for my own missions: I prefer the idea of lop-sided confrontations and playing as a force that doesn't have the backing of a nation-state's military. I like the new helo and was impressed at how well an AI crew-mate can use the grenade launcher. I enjoyed using the AA12 far more than I thought I would - the buck shot has been balanced so the shotguns are actually useful now. I want the new SUV with decent textures, although more for the bullet-proof windows than the chain-gun.

The new UAV is excellent, even if I won't get anything more by buying the full version.

Gaia's campaign is good, and although it's not massively replayable, I find it more to my taste than Harvest Red's attempts at realism, and it's so much better optimised than some of OA's campaign. The third mission is rubbish, though. Reminds me of Sion Lenton's idea of having a patrol mission in which nothing happens (shot down by his lead game designer, incidentally).

Thank goodness I don't have to tell my squad mates to go hide in a corner so one of them doesn't get himself killed and lose me the mission. I've criticised Bis' voice acting time and time again - this time I actually think they've done a fairly good job. Tanny's VO is excellent, Poet's is good and Dixon and Ry's are fair. I get to kill 'Dan' rather than play as him, so that's me a happy camper. There's no 'this is Sparta' or 'it's gonna be a piece of cake' moment.

The Proving Ground actually seems quite interesting, even though I hated Shapur. It has its uses for scenarios.

No, there isn't such a plethora of content as BAF, but perhaps lots of those were resources they almost put into OA and they wanted to make a clear statement to naysayers about the whole idea of DLC for Bis games? Perhaps they also had ambitions to focus on a certain type of campaign with an alternative style of gameplay in a future DLC.

Requests for future PMC patches:

-An ammo crate for the new weapons, but particularly for the different shotgun rounds.

-Is a CQC view for the M8s really too much to ask for? Please, Bis.

-Make The Proving Ground bigger, just so that you're able to scatter some random dead trees and ground clutter around the edges so that the edge of the 'infinite terrain' isn't so glaringly obvious.

-Make a version of the new helo and UAV available as units listed under the OPFOR->Russia side. You don't even necessarily need to retexture them.

-I know that you'll stop men from parachuting out of the destroyed UAV, so no need to even request this, right? :rolleyes:

Request that stands no chance:

-Make the models use the weapon foregrips. It is a paid addon, after all. Not such an important request for gameplay, though.

Three feet of snow outside=time to make long posts on 'net forums.

tl;dr

Bought PMC DLC after having tried lite. That's a big compliment to Bis, but there's still some work left to be done in patches.

Edited by Richey79

Its working for me now....THanks for the help guys who replied to my problems.

So far its fun, annoying when the driver drives into buildings or round in circles but fast forwarding time gets rid of this :).

With the dust etc, gives out a good feeling of "Whats around the corner" etc.

Annoying, some of the times, I want to drive the SUV but wont let me.....

On the sniper/engine block mission at the mo, all good so far :)

Doesn't beat BAF tho :)

Also alot of the niggles I've read like which part of the engine should I shoot or I cant find the dead body, when loading up the missions, in the notes, it gives all these hints away! Poor obs from alot of people. Also common sense, example, A tank isn't going to have an engine at the front of the vehicle is it! Whoopsy daisy!

Good going guys, played Arma since its first release and being a member of the British Armed Forces, realism rocks so far as computer games go. Round of applause for BIS.

Edited by Jewell

@Richey, thanks for the considered post. Fair criticisms and complements, in my judgement, though, perhaps, I would disagree with some points.

Why did I use so many spoilers? Well - its official December, so after I watch Jingle All the Way, it will officially be the Christmas season a.k.a. present-exchanging window.

The third mission is rubbish, though. Reminds me of Sion Lenton's idea of having a patrol mission in which nothing happens (shot down by his lead game designer, incidentally).

We told you they weren't Tier 1 :D

Thank goodness I don't have to tell my squad mates to go hide in a corner so one of them doesn't get himself killed and lose me the mission.

We know that it's not to everyone's taste, and its certainly no excuse for optimising AI (which has been tweaked, for the record, particularly for Zargabad performance), but it enables some unique gameplay without the necessity of 'babysitting'.

I've criticised Bis' voice acting time and time again - this time I actually think they've done a fairly good job. Tanny's VO is excellent, Poet's is good and Dixon and Ry's are fair. I get to kill 'Dan' rather than play as him, so that's me a happy camper.

'Mon the Scots. Voice Actor Jim High - Poet AKA Brian Frost - is arguably (subjectively) the best Radio Protocol available in game, too.

There's no 'this is Sparta' or 'it's gonna be a piece of cake' moment.

:yay:

This just requires a spoiler of its own.

The Proving Ground actually seems quite interesting, even though I hated Shapur. It has its uses for scenarios.

I really like it. I understand that people (particularly fans of large-scale armoured engagement/ air deployments) will dislike it, but it has an entirely unique atmosphere, and I hope - like Shapur - it will be taken as something that gives our community more options/ a different challenge.

There are so many ideas we came up with for this terrain, different moods and challanges, I hope to see many of them developed by the community.

No, there isn't such a plethora of content as BAF [...] Perhaps they also had ambitions to focus on a certain type of campaign with an alternative style of gameplay in a future DLC.

True, we set out to construct a different experience. If you make BAF, the crowd will cry "but the community can make better models! .. we want a long campaign!", and if you make a campaign.. well, yes..

It should be remembered that PMC is a good number of missions painstakingly woveninto a campaign with a soul, and aesthetic, and narrativ; it's a brand new map, and unique models, all in a competitively priced DLC.

You also can't please all the people, all the time.

Requests for future PMC patches:

-An ammo crate for the new weapons, but particularly for the different shotgun rounds.

Look, we're really sorry about that, and we know it's a problem. The ammocrate will, of course, be added in a future patch.

As for the UAVs..

Three feet of snow outside=time to make long posts on 'net forums.

I'm just back from the UK - Prague is NO better.. but at least the Czechs know how to deal with a few snowflakes!

I hope you play the campaign again - it really can offer replay value (also why we separated much of the cutscenes), and, particularly get a change to play it in 2-player coop. Not to mention the multiple endings possible within 'Deception' alone.

Top Tip - Player two actually gets to play our

for himself in 2-player co-op! Choose wisely ;)

RiE