Sign in to follow this  
shezan74

Exporting Visitor image

I've tried to export V3 image to EMF, but the image size is limited to my heightmap (1024x1024).

I need a decent size image from V3 or from game map itself (i've seen some images from A2 game map in big size without objects like GPS and other things in the middle) to be reworked in World Tools background (for object placement).

Someone can explain me if there is a way to have a bigger EMF file exported from V3 or another similar solution?

I've tried to export V3 image to EMF, but the image size is limited to my heightmap (1024x1024).

I need a decent size image from V3 or from game map itself (i've seen some images from A2 game map in big size without objects like GPS and other things in the middle) to be reworked in World Tools background (for object placement).

Someone can explain me if there is a way to have a bigger EMF file exported from V3 or another similar solution?

AFAIK there is no limitiation related to emf export cause you may ever tell vis3 which image size you want and usually I have been exporting images larger than their respective heightmap png files size. I am using vis3 with no tweaking and no OA objects for getting stability...

Exporting is particularly handy to retouch airports and roads grounds over sat pic so you can get a better view from distance... if I am working on mask_lco I export to emf to get better island/zones boundaries...

On the other hand, till now I haven't got the whole idea related to boundaries on map... here is the pertaining discussion ....

Hope it helps.

Saludos!!!

AFAIK there is no limitiation related to emf export cause you may ever tell vis3 which image size you want and usually I have been exporting images larger than their respective heightmap png files size. I am using vis3 with no tweaking and no OA objects for getting stability...

Boh...?

Nothing is requested when i export my map... it will simply export a 1024x1024 image.

No way to increase...

Hi Shezan!

There should be a resolution dialog where you can just type whatever export resolution you want...

heres a pic...

export.jpg

Choose "Project"/"Export Map as Image"

This is my standard export procedure - my sat_layer is 20480x20480 so I export 20490x20490 EMF's - convert to .png - load into photoshop and crop by 10 pixels to remove BlueEdge... that gives me exactly matching 20480x20480 layers - which I can then convert down to 5120x5120 for worldtools...

Just type in whatever resolution you want... although only certain sizes will be useful, of course... and remember to allow extra for that BlueEdge - and remove it again afterwards...

B

Edited by Bushlurker

PS...

BlueEdge seems to confuse people a lot but it's pretty straightforward...

Why its there is a techie thing to do with overlap of satellite segments - no need to worry about that...

Only thing we need to know is how big it is in our particular project - so we can allow for it when exporting images...

This is easy - it's one heightmap cellsworth of sat_lco pixels... :D

or, as the Wiki says...

Size of "blue edge" is the size of one elevation cell in pixels of satellite texture:

Thats 10 pixels, for almost all of us...

eg:

Heightmap = 1024x1024 - satellite = 10240x10240, 1 heightmap pixel = 10 satellite pixels - so BlueEdge = 10

Only time it gets tricky is when you're not using that 10x ratio...

eg:

I tried a 28672x28672 satellite image once on my 2048x2048 heightmap...

that works out at 14x - 14 pixels of Sat_lco per 1 pixel of heightmap - so I had to allow for a BlueEdge of 14 when I exported layers...

B

Edited by Bushlurker

:o :o :o

oh my god... i never saw this option...

lol You make me feel like a veteran harharhar :D

yup :)

i'm working on World Tools background images but...

i have noticed a problem with background images. Coordinates are good (also exported with border and cropped to final size as said by Bushlurker but...

it seems the exported file is not correct.

I've checked the position of a road crossing and double checked into World Tools and the same coordinate is not placed in the same position on the Visitor3 project...

I must check World Tools again for errors in coordinate representation, but it's strange...

@Shez:

I usually export terrain as Bush said for getting better results, but I still get akwards boundaries looking not so good... at left bottom but on right top also...

Anyways... for my Easter Island project I used World Tools (v1.71. If I well remember) and mask was not precisely focused (same issue with Road Painter Tool, so I guess it is not a malfunction of your software)...

So, I picked up some remarkable tiny areas with plenty of objects (vegetation) and used it as a reference to avoid misplaced objects... this adjusted mask came back to PS for final readjustment of every layer ... and it worked perfectly...

I ignore if I am making everything properly as I am just a newbie, so if anyone knows a better method it would be nice to know... is also relevant to tell that World Tools works and is doing a great job for all of us!!!! Cheers!

Edited by Robster

Noticed the same problem with my tree mask..was even more obvious as i exported it from GM realworld GIS data onto a GM heightmap..and it was a little off :confused:

PS...

BlueEdge seems to confuse people a lot but it's pretty straightforward...

Why its there is a techie thing to do with overlap of satellite segments - no need to worry about that...

Only thing we need to know is how big it is in our particular project - so we can allow for it when exporting images...

This is easy - it's one heightmap cellsworth of sat_lco pixels... :D

or, as the Wiki says...

Thats 10 pixels, for almost all of us...

eg:

Heightmap = 1024x1024 - satellite = 10240x10240, 1 heightmap pixel = 10 satellite pixels - so BlueEdge = 10

Only time it gets tricky is when you're not using that 10x ratio...

eg:

I tried a 28672x28672 satellite image once on my 2048x2048 heightmap...

that works out at 14x - 14 pixels of Sat_lco per 1 pixel of heightmap - so I had to allow for a BlueEdge of 14 when I exported layers...

B

This doesnt work for me somehow.. Exporting it as 10250x10250 and its still off in my photoshop sat-image. Seems as if theres more height than with. Ill try with 10250x10255.

Edit: 10270x10300 did it :D Wierd.

Edited by MugAben

That IS wierd!

Can't explain that one at all...???

I should maybe have mentioned that when you crop off BlueEdge you only remove pixels from the LEFT and BOTTOM of the image (Canvas Size tool in Photoshop with the new size and click the little selection thingy to the TOP and RIGHT...

B

Yeeeah, i have no idea why.. 10270x10300 seems to work and take the bluelines in left and bottom away, nothing more. It lines up in west, but in east it doesnt.. Gah.. I just cant get it to line up everywhere.. It really makes my mask / sat work hard as hell! :/

Baffled by this one as well.... seems to be unanswerable questions week!:confused:

Just one wild guess Dampet... I remember you changed your heightfield size a while back... maybe its something to do with that??

Is your heightfield absolutely, definitely 1024x1024 now?

B

Yup, it is. Im sure it's just me doing something wrong somewhere though.. ^^ This EMF was all new to me when I had most of the basics in my satmap done anyway hehe! So a little tweak here and there, fixes most things.. A little more work-time because of constantly texture/mask editing, trying, packing and over again.. But nothing photoshop cant fix ;)

I really want this to work now.. I fear that my map simply wont be completed if this isnt taken care of.. I just dont have the patience and "drive" to continue this way.. Gah!!

So.. I hope you can help, here is everything..

Settings and visitor

As you can see, the left bluescreen is much bigger than the bottom. This is why 10250x10250 doesnt work for me.. I still havent found the right resolution.. :(

My sat is 10240x10240.. Double checked.

Left BlueEdge in my Visitor view looks just the same...

blueedge.png

I think thats just the way it looks in Visitor...

When I export a 20490x20490 EMF - convert to .png, load it into photoshop and zoom in real close theres a blue 10pixel wide border on the left and bottom... I choose to crop Canvas Size to 20480x20480 and move the wee button to the top right, so when you get a warning about the new canvas size being smaller, you know it's gonna be cropped off the left and bottom... works every time...

Still can't explain how you're using a square heightmap and sat-layer, yet need to crop to a rectangle... all your settings look fine...

B

Edited by Bushlurker

I really dont get it either. :P

What I did now to get it more accurate, was to make a red line in each corner on the satmap. Same size as a road. I then place a road exactly on the red line in each corner. Then I line the map-image with the four roads, on the sat map with the four red lines so they line up. So far it works good! If you want it to be as accurate as possible, just place crosses instead of lines, and place one in the middle so the total is 5. Or even more, it just gets harder for each one!

Hope this is usefull if anyone else runs into this problem.

What plugin do you guys use for photoshop to read emf?

In Visitor3 there is a small application named something like EMF2JPG.

Just drag-drop the EMF file over the icon and it will convert the EMF to JPG for you.

Thanks sheza. I forgot all about this post.

I think it might have something to do with the emf plugin I used for photoshop. Im gonna try the converter now.

So lets try again in 10250x10240, with the new pic.

Nope doesnt work.. Still off somewhere. :/ Picture

In visitor/game the road texture lines up perfectly with the road, where I used another emf image. But I was just lucky, and fiddled it in place the last time.

I have a blue line in the bottom aswell, so im gonna try to make it 10250x10250, and cut 10 of each now.

Edit:

Yes. Finally I think I got it. But that wouldnt be the first time. Allthough it seems to mach up in every corner now. I have to do as above. 10250x10250, and cut 10 of each.

Is it me who misread something that I only should cap the left side?

Edited by MugAben