Sign in to follow this  
rip31st

Fields of War: Normandy 1.00 and beyond WIP thread (formerly The 31st Normandy mod)

Excellent pic of mg-42 XxEnigmAxX !

It will have custom animations to it ?

Regards

Bielow

There are a lot of possibilities with the map. The primary use will feature a centrally located server we support. The mission will be a campaign that features beginning a pre-invasion frontal system. This will be multiplayer pvp only with 128 slots. Allies will have to invade France or alternately, the Axis invade England.

Crossing the channel initially by either side via air, or sea. To gain control of specifically linked key logistical towns. In other words, if your Allied, you need to take control of one of the Beach invasion areas and a few adjacent control points before moving further inland. Same with the Axis.

More details to follow.

Sorry to drag this up after the conversastion has moved on, but will you be organising events on your server every now and again? So that the mission reaches it's full potential.

It would be nice not to have to plead with some idiotic Rambo to hold the landing craft for me (or a whole squad) only for us both to be cut down (or him to run into a mine...seems more likely)! :p

Sorry to drag this up after the conversastion has moved on, but will you be organising events on your server every now and again? So that the mission reaches it's full potential.

It would be nice not to have to plead with some idiotic Rambo to hold the landing craft for me (or a whole squad) only for us both to be cut down (or him to run into a mine...seems more likely)! :p

Yes we will have special events between campaigns.

---------- Post added at 12:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:55 PM ----------

personally i already knew that, i tought he was with fields of war...am i wrong?

Wax contributed to our mod first only to join our group eventually to leave abruptly. Then he joined HIP briefly. Now he is contributing to I44. Not sure if he joined them, but he is donating some of his work to them.

He does good work.

Arma 3 announced, cant wait to see the FoW progress on it : orgasm.

Edited by Babylonjoke

I'm sure it will be compatible :) It's a long way off ( ArmA3 ) that is.

We're all still hard at work and Normandy progresses well,

Media will start to flow soon ;)

Must offer apologies for the lack of updates for the past few days.

Especially over the D-Day period,

We are still working hard and the mod progresses well.

But progress on our configurations and behind the game touches can't really be . (unless you want a picture of scripting ;) )

But we will have all sorts of media coming in the near future.

Stay tuned folks.

ohoh, too quiet here, what happens in Normandy? :D

Nothing ever happens in Normandy :D

I'm mean, the real one.

Well, since 1944

Edited by ProfTournesol

Well, they did find a Sherman off the beach a few years ago. It had been there since the invasion, and it can be yours for the low low price of half-a-million dollars. (Non-restored. Pretty much how they found it)

I hope to see pictures of various flags flying from the Eiffel tower shortly... :D

(Also, it might be a bit controversial, but have you ever considered putting some french forces/aircraft etc. on OPFOR? They fought beside the Germans, and even on their own. Hell, they bombed Gibraltar several times, once with a 100 bomber formation. Then there was the British operation to sink the French navy in one go, etc. etc.)

Edited by Darkhorse 1-6

I'm not sure it would be a clear cut faction. It might cause confusion. I dunno, maybe some others can input on this one darkhorse.

They didn't do a whole not in Normandy from what I understand.

Or atleast that i've read, If they did it's not widely known or advertised.

As I am to understand there will be the Free French (F.F.I/Maquis) in this coming release.

I wouldn't rule out the possibility of later on in our production stages the Vichy French made it in.

As I under stand they did see some action in the Mediterranean theatres and operation torch as I remember.

So definitely don't count out seeing Both French resistance and Vichy French Forces in the mod at some point.

But at the minute, The resistances case is stronger for being included than the Vichy.

(Also, it might be a bit controversial, but have you ever considered putting some french forces/aircraft etc. on OPFOR? They fought beside the Germans, and even on their own. Hell, they bombed Gibraltar several times, once with a 100 bomber formation. Then there was the British operation to sink the French navy in one go, etc. etc.)

Vichy forces were very weak and never really fought, apart some little fights here and there (particularly in Middle-East).

The overwhelming majority of the French involved in combat actions were on the allied side, and they were widely involved in the North African fights then in the liberation of Europe, for example in Monte Cassino were North African troops were litteraly sacrified to do the job, and they fought until the end in France and in Germany.

Edited by ProfTournesol

Vichy forces were very weak and never really fought, apart some little fights here and there (particularly in Middle-East).

The overwhelming majority of the French involved in combat actions were on the allied side, and they were widely involved in the North African fights then in the liberation of Europe, for example in Monte Cassino were North African troops were litteraly sacrified to do the job, and they fought until the end in France and in Germany.

You don't want to rely too much on wikipedia ;)

but you are partially right.

However Vichy france did still fight against the allies in North Africa.

Especally in Algeria/Morocco during operation torch.

The Vichy French Fire the first shots on the campaign against the allied transport ships.

And the Vichy french put up a good battle over the coming days.

General Eisenhower had decided that if French forces were going to oppose TORCH they would have to fire the first shot. As the boats turned toward shore, the French made known their intentions by firing on the transports. U.S. Navy ships immediately returned fire.

The first waves of landing craft plowed through dark swells toward beaches code-named from north to south RED, BLUE, GREEN, and YELLOW.

As naval gunfire pounded French batteries, the first American troops to land in French Morocco .

Company K, 47th Infantry came ashore at 0445 at GREEN Beach.

Forty-five minutes later over 600 men from all beaches returned sniper and machinegun fire and began capturing French and Moroccan troops and key points.

By daylight, American troops controlled all port facilities, the post office, telecommunications station, petroleum storage tanks, all roads leading into town, and the civil police force.

Reinforced by continuing waves of landing craft, American troops extended their beachhead inland against little more than sniper fire.

Sunrise made possible more accurate naval gunfire, and by 1045 all French batteries were out of action.

Most resistance to BLACKSTONE infantry advancing through town came from a walled barracks, headquarters to the garrison of fewer than 1,000 men.

American troops surrounded and isolated the barracks, then moved on to clear the rest of the town. As artillery was off-loaded, it too was trained on the barracks.

But because Eisenhower and Patton hoped to gain without a costly battle the surrender of troops who could later fight Axis armies, they issued no attack order.

have a look at this page mate,

Might find it interesting, Well i know i did ;)

http://www.history.army.mil/brochures/algeria/algeria.htm

Edited by XxEnigmAxX

You don't want to rely too much on wikipedia ;)

but you are partially right.

However Vichy france did still fight against the allies in North Africa.

Espically in Algeria/Morocco were the French Fire the first shots on the campaign against the transport ships.

And the Vichy french put up a good battle over the coming days.

have a look at this page mate,

Might find it interesting :D

http://www.history.army.mil/brochures/algeria/algeria.htm

Well i'm not relying on Wikipedia, i just quoted it for non French speaking guys who don't know a lot about French Army during WW2. Those fights you're talking about were very anecdotic in WW2, compared to the rest of French engagement alongside the "other" allies. In fact, Vichy forces were more involved into fighting against the French resistance.

Vichy forces also fought alongside Japanese naval forces in the battle for Madagascar in 1942. It would make for an interesting ARMA2 mod sometime in the future!

Well i'm not relying on Wikipedia, i just quoted it for non French speaking guys who don't know a lot about French Army during WW2. Those fights you're talking about were very anecdotic in WW2, compared to the rest of French engagement alongside the "other" allies. In fact, Vichy forces were more involved into fighting against the French resistance.

I must say i don't see how fact relates to anything slightly aendotic.

Free French forces worked along side the allies = YES.

The French resistance worked along side the Allies = YES

Vichy French forces fought AGAINST the Allies in Algeria/Morocco During Operation torch and the entire campaign = YES.

I don't see what your problem is with the facts?

Vichy France led by commanders Darlan, Nogues and Micherlier mustered a force of some 60,000 troops against the Allied landings.

The landings targeted Morocco & Algeria Which were held by Vichy France?

Is this not the truth?

Operation Torch = Allied Forces Against the Vichy Regime,It's really as simple as that.

Whilst the Vichy French Collaborated with the Germans,

The Free French forces and the French Resistance did not.

I really don't see why your arguing a mute point?

Anyway enough of this as it's grossly off topic for the Normandy release.

Feel free to bring it back up during the Med/Africa campaign stage.

Edited by XxEnigmAxX

I must say i don't see how fact relates to aendotic.

Free French forces worked along side the allies = YES.

The french resistance worked along side the Allies = YES

Vichy French forces throughout the Landings in Algeria During Operation torch and the entire campaign = YES.

I don't see what your problem is with the facts?

No problem with those facts, but misuse of a word. In French "anecdotique" means "not important, small facts". The role played by Armistice French forces alongside German forces was minor (small in North Africa, more important in Syria, near zero after 1942) compared to the role played by the FFL alongside allies. That's all.

Ahh yes, Agreed.

I guess if were talking about 1944 your correct Vichy France was more or less completely done regarding a force on force war by that stage.

Earlier on during Morocco and Algeria they played a large part in as they were the opposing Axis force in the area.

But that was it in relation to fighting against allied forces that I know of.

From then on as you say,

I believe the were more occupied in the crackdown on the French Resistance forces.

Anecdote in English Refers to a short story or tall that is interesting/amusing.

So I guess it can sort of fit both ways ;)

As i said I found it interesting.

While one belongs here about the Vichy regime you have apparently forgotten what:

What is then at the beginning? Will there one day be a mod to the german west campaign at 1940?

We've stated many times that we would like to cover as much of the war as we can.

1940 would be included in such wishes

I didn't mean to cause a squabble :o. I asked mainly because I've been reading "The Air War: 1939-1945" by Janusz Piekalkiewicz. (Pic) Among everything else, it describes actions the Vichy French took against the allies, both from the the Allies point of view, (mostly news reports released by the British, sometimes local newspapers etc.) and from the French point of view (Atleast one description of a large raid on Gibraltar in a French pilot's own words).

As a matter of fact, the French committed more of their aircraft against the British on Gibraltar than they did against the Germans.

That afternoon Winston Churchill met in Briare with the French government, who had been evacuated from Paris. To France's desperate pleas that Great Britain throw all its squadrons into the Battle of France, Churchill replied that their sacrifice would mean an end to Britain's own prospects for survival. French government leader Reynaud answered: "History will say that the Battle of France was lost for lack of airplanes," and General Georges added that he considered it "improbable that Great Britain would be attacked, whereas a massive deployment of aircraft on the Marne could alter the position." But Churchill could not be swayed.
The next operation against Gibraltar took place on the following day, Wednesday 25 September. The French formation was reinforced by two more bomber groups and two escadrilles. A total of 83 bombers made their run in good weather from 3:00 to 4:15PM., this time without fighter plane cover
At the climax of their bombing raids against the German Army on 5 June 1940, the French had deployed only 77 bombers, some of them antiquated, along the entire area of the front.

Vichy is fairly far south of Paris is it not?

Vichy is fairly far south of Paris is it not?

400 km by the road, 300 by plane.

I didn't mean to cause a squabble

No squabble, just my miserable use of the english language.