Sign in to follow this  
rip31st

Fields of War: Normandy 1.00 and beyond WIP thread (formerly The 31st Normandy mod)

Wow is the word! The map looks great and puts into perspective how big an undertaking this project is. :)

As well as being an awesome map to play on or tinker with it, i'll wager that it will be handy for educational purposes too.

Wish you all the best with it!

Edited by jequirity

Paris is not the only place where you can see historical buildings and objects. I won't tell everything...you have to find them youself :)

is carentan included? probaly it is but I haven't spotted it on the map yet.

is carentan included? probaly it is but I haven't spotted it on the map yet.

Yes it is. The map is is unzoomed max out so that you can see all the map area, but this hides many of teh smaller cities.

Generally all the towns which had some military meaning in the campaign are included like Caen, Carentan, Falaise, Bayeux and even smaller towns like Ouistreham, Villers Bocage and Carpiquet.

Glad to read it Aqu.

So, it seems there is an opened possibility of recreating/including Operation Totalize :yay:

YGenerally all the towns which had some military meaning in the campaign are included like Caen, Carentan, Falaise, Bayeux and even smaller towns like Ouistreham, Villers Bocage and Carpiquet.

good! :)

Glad to read it Aqu.

So, it seems there is an opened possibility of recreating/including Operation Totalize

or Operation Overlord!

Or Operation Cobra & Goodwood.

Indeed the map gives a massive amount of oppurtunity to cover many operations.

Land,Air and sea :D

Hello all

Great map, now i can bomb reading.

But, what will the level of detail be and can arma handle such a vast map? will it require a beast of a machine?

Rgds

Lok

Hello all

But, what will the level of detail be and can arma handle such a vast map? will it require a beast of a machine?

Rgds

Lok

Yes with good FPS as this is a multiplayer map.

Paris is not the only place where you can see historical buildings and objects. I won't tell everything...you have to find them youself :)

London :bounce3:

or Operation Overlord!

Afaik Ovrlord lasted till the end of August'44 ;) Totalize and any other mentioned operations were actions within the Normandy Campaign -> Overlord ;) People tend to see/name only the landing phase as Overlord.

Edited by topas

Hello all

Rgds

Lok

The map is very Computer friendly from what i gather.

It shouldn't put a whole lot more strain on the system than any normal Arma map.

Belgium is included, Holland isn't :'(

does this mod include the winter weather?

Probably not, this would require a lot of extra work

I guess you'll be happy to know that the team will be heading to the market?

;)

Market Garden Obviously

Edited by XxEnigmAxX

Afaik Ovrlord lasted till the end of August'44 ;) Totalize and any other mentioned operations were actions within the Normandy Campaign -> Overlord ;) People tend to see/name only the landing phase as Overlord.

Don't forget to mention Tractable as well as Totalize mind!

After this mod is finished sometime in the future, I'd love to see people whipping up some missions such as Perch, Martlet, Epsom, Jupiter, Goodwood, Bluecoat, Charnwood and of course Totalize and Tractable.

Totalize would be a great mission especially with the opening phase being an armoured offensive at night time involving Kangaroo apcs for the first time :)

You'd also have the Brits, Canadians and Poles involved on the Allied side; it would be quite a showcase of different countries (All wearing the same uniform and using the same equipment though).

@Rip31st- I'm assuming that with a map this size, you've had to scale it down to fit the entire area ingame? I wouldn't ask if I didn't already know. I'm just curious as to if it's possible to put such a huge area or if you had to scale it down. Thanks

I guess you'll be happy to know that the team will be heading to the market?

;)

Market Garden Obviously

:yay:

@Rip31st- I'm assuming that with a map this size, you've had to scale it down to fit the entire area ingame? I wouldn't ask if I didn't already know. I'm just curious as to if it's possible to put such a huge area or if you had to scale it down. Thanks

It's not possible to scale it 1:1, the engine can't handle it.

Were working on half scale at the moment. The limitations for the game engine include the terrain grid, but most importantly the object count. It's a tough go on such a large map for many reasons such as time it takes to place the objects. Not all the BIS objects work with the large grid so we have to make custom objects that work to avoid things looking out of place on slopes and other areas. Avoid clipping. Then you have to get creative with foliage. On smaller maps you can use smaller clutter effectively. On large scale maps you have to create newer, larger objects because of the max object count, otherwise you run out or things get bare or sparse within the default limitations. Then you compromise expected results when interacting with the objects creating objects much larger then they are meant to be. There is a delicate balance you have to find between reality and dealing with such a large area that was never meant to work with this engine.

But were doing it. We actually hit the ceiling before for the object count and had to go back to the drawing board. We revamped many objects, making them more efficient in many respects and now we can do what we originally intended doing which was bring Arma2 its largest theater.

I haven't read all 62 pages of the thread, but may I ask why you have chosen to model the whole part on one map instead of making, let's say, 10 maps that cover the same area but can handle more detail?

Not a criticism...just asking about the motivation.

I just saw the Eiffel Tower in Paris myself last year, and I can't wait to revisit it in Arma2. ;)

Abs

I haven't read all 62 pages of the thread, but may I ask why you have chosen to model the whole part on one map instead of making, let's say, 10 maps that cover the same area but can handle more detail?

Not a criticism...just asking about the motivation.

I just saw the Eiffel Tower in Paris myself last year, and I can't wait to revisit it in Arma2. ;)

Abs

We have other maps that cover smaller areas in more detail.

One plus side is this way you have areas which wouldn't have been shown in any map. I see it quite unlikely we had made a specific map for e.g. Paris. Also covering air warfare side of teh conflict is easier when the map is big.

and you can make a mission you leave England to attack Normandy, by air or sea. I forgot how it's called but with Band of Brothers what's the town where they're stationed in part 1? then you can leave from there with airplanes! :)

Plus you can run missions targeting naval forces in the channel and other such scenarios because of the large aquatic area also ;)