Sign in to follow this  
rip31st

Fields of War: Normandy 1.00 and beyond WIP thread (formerly The 31st Normandy mod)

hey ... oh my god... Rip well done, u are the most great architet in the BI forum..u got an huge patience!

Canis lupus your work is really awesome... well done!!!!!...FoW <3

I can't figure that tranparency and alpha channel thing out either.. I tried on the helmet camo for the 101st without much luck, I managed to get it to look right in O2 but in game they don't..

I see a lot of white outlines there, casued by the transparency and alpha channels...

Any idea how to overcome / eliminate this? I am having the exact same thing bugging me with T-28 wheels and tracks... :mad:

To my knowledge this seems to appear only where the texture is partly transparent. I have managed to eliminate it mostly by editing the trouble texture so that the alpha values are either 0 or 255 (i.e totally transparent or opaque). This is acceptable for things like wheels but not for windows etc.

Also the thing to do with all models having transparent textures is to remember sort the textures after making any changes.

I like them!

Although, concerning the landing troops - will there be black soldiers? I thought, there were extra korps for black soldiers

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/92nd_Infantry_Division_%28United_States%29

Same for the Asian soldiers...

I am not a racist but this cuts realism and I dislike the faces of the black soldiers BIS made for Arma 2 (at least the one which is in general use)

To please everyone we have added the following to accompany the normal already existing G.I ...

Construction Worker

Leatherman (biker)

Cowboy

Indian (I think politically correct would be 'Native American')

Cop

;)

You know what my is about and I don't want to turn this into another discussion about prejudices and political correctness :suspect:

Relax. It was just a joke (looks like a big fail). No intention to hurt anyone.

To your question. Yes, it is our intension to make that there are no black people in the final version.

I like them!

Although, concerning the landing troops - will there be black soldiers? I thought, there were extra korps for black soldiers

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/92nd_Infantry_Division_%28United_States%29

Same for the Asian soldiers...

I am not a racist but this cuts realism and I dislike the faces of the black soldiers BIS made for Arma 2 (at least the one which is in general use)

I know, its simply a matter of changing the config, I just didn't notice before I made the screenshots and I didn't wan't to start all over again but it will be fixed.. and don't worry I'm sure everyone knows this wasn't a question of racism.. I think I'll add the 92nd infantry to my list though they seems to be forgotten, I guess we got the "special units" here guy's..

ooh.. just got the joke:p

To please everyone we have added the following to accompany the normal already existing G.I ...

Construction Worker

Leatherman (biker)

Cowboy

Indian (I think politically correct would be 'Native American')

Cop

;)

Is the YMCA going to be playing in the background? :D

Pertaining to the Paris objects (Eiffel Tower and such), are there going to be a large amount of specific buildings made to coincide with the 1940's look of Paris, or is it default BIS buildings in place?

Not a big deal, just curious about the plans. The whole mod looks outstanding, keep up the good work.

A combo of both.

I had another shot at the helmets and the camo.. so far it looks pretty good but I don't have time for an in-game test right now, but sure hope it works this time..

okay so I did have time for some testing.. Rip when I figure out what I did right this time I'll let you know

camo1e.jpg

camo3j.jpg

Edited by canis lupus

Nice, looking very good...very detailed.

Question regarding last release of 31st Normandy map: Does AI see through that high grass eg. on Point Du Hoc? Because for me: yes, what makes map a bit unplayable. Is that true?

I still get those white outlines on the camo not as much as before but when sertain things are in the background they appear very clear.. Aqu was on the subject earlier, but can anyone explain a bit more as to why this happens?

Question regarding last release of 31st Normandy map: Does AI see through that high grass eg. on Point Du Hoc? Because for me: yes, what makes map a bit unplayable. Is that true?

If you have followed along, your answer is no they can't see through the grass. They can see through clutter.

as rip said Grass as in the ground clutter doesn't view block,|

But the tall grasses and grain blocks the AI view.

I don't think anyone AI or just a normal guy wouldn't see someone led down in a bit of grass.

Especially when they start popping off rounds at you.

Now I found something about the problem, with screenshots of one with the outlines and one without and as far as I can tell I need to disable interpolation on the alpha channel, anyone know how thats done?

Well, I mean rather normal high grass like this one on point-du-hoc, placed my mapmaker and visible on map as green dots and available with object ID. I had some testing just yesterday and... for me they see through grass. They are still shooting even if I crawl away.

Our grass objects do not show object I.D.'s on our Normandy2 map.

I'm not sure what's up with all the ID's. Maybe in the screen shot you can turn them off in the mission editor. Those don't come up for me anyway. The issue with the that particular grass is resolved because it's not even in the upcoming map release.

If you check out this video closely, the 2nd half uses our new grass which works great. You can clearly see towards the end, I only got hit after I stood up.

Hmm, I have tested it once again, but now it seems to be working. BUT... sometimes they see me anyway. Thankfully it's relatively small percent of all engagements I had today, but I suggest to check it out once again before release. Just in case.

Most of these bugged firefights were conncted with situation "I am in grass, they are not". It maybe seems AI sees sometimes in the grass when they are away? Of what if locations where one grass ends and another starts is bugged? These are only my thoughts anyway.