Sign in to follow this  
rip31st

Fields of War: Normandy 1.00 and beyond WIP thread (formerly The 31st Normandy mod)

Happy new year FoW team!!!i waited a long time now i can finally say 2011, the year of the relase has arrived(i hope)=D

Yes for sure. You guys will have the mod this year. Happy new year all!

are these the german units from i44 mod? and btw why do we need another one WW2?

I mean i really appreciate your work but why working against each other instead of combine all work from i44 with this mod (will result in a bigger contet)

are these the german units from i44 mod? and btw why do we need another one WW2?

I mean i really appreciate your work but why working against each other instead of combine all work from i44 with this mod (will result in a bigger contet)

Nope

Nope

Dunno, asked them, they didn't want to.

---------- Post added at 02:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:12 PM ----------

WOW, i hope you do a release for dunkeque and the battle of france.

Yes :)

Dunno, asked them, they didn't want to.

You make it look like they are opposed to the concept of sharing with (and being a part of) the community. Invasion 1944 has cooperated with other WW2 mods and non-WW2 mods alike throughout it's existence. Several instances of unauthorized use of content (more info, see page 4), whether accidental or intentional, tends to make people hesitant or even uncooperative. The lack of cooperation is not without reason, and is not meant as a way to hinder any kind of "competition" or all-encompassing "WW2 supermod" that people might like to see. I hate to bring this up again, but seeing as your answer is not reflecting properly on the cause(s) of the lack of cooperation, I figured someone else should give MrR0ket0 a more precise explanation. Summarizing the reason for the lack of cooperation instead of suggesting blame (or leaving it open to interpretation) on the other party would be a better way of achieving cooperation between the mods.

Edited by JdB

You make it look like they are opposed to the concept of sharing with (and being a part of) the community.

Actually rather than suggest anything at all behind your reasoning he proposed the poster ask you for himself if he wanted to know why, I fail to see how Rip31st can state the matter any more neutrally. I44 team members (past or present) regularly appearing in this thread to throw mud is going to tarnish their own repute more than anything anyone else has to say of them. Just leave it out.

Actually rather than suggest anything at all behind your reasoning he proposed the poster ask you for himself if he wanted to know why, I fail to see how Rip31st can state the matter any more neutrally.

"Dunno", as in -I really have no idea why they wouldn't want to cooperate with us-, when he knows perfectly well why, but implies that the other mod is simply uncooperative (fully open to interpreting benign reasons on the part of Invasion 1944 like hindering competition, personal issues with mod members etc). There is no reason for I44 mod members (or ex-members) to come in here to post the truth in this thread if it is being told by FoW mod members, but it isn't being told, and hasn't been told several times (until compelled to by the posting of evidence that proved the breaching of property rights), and so it is a necessary evil to guard against slander aimed at creating a false, negative view/image for non-mod members of Invasion 1944 in general, and the positive attitude towards the community that it really holds.

This is just another example of Rip31st playing dumb/acting like the angel of WW2 modding that is being ignored by the evil Invasion 1944, when the truth is very different. There is no cooperation, only FoW is responsible for that fact.

Edited by JdB

We were on MSN messenger earlier discussing MrR0ket0's comments and predicting an appearence in this thread by jdb. Wish I'd selected the option in windows live to cache out the conversation so I could have posted the chat here with time stamps. Hind sight is 20-20.

:)

Edited by Rip31st

"Dunno", as in -I really have no idea why they wouldn't want to cooperate with us-, when he knows perfectly well why, but implies that the other mod is simply uncooperative (fully open to interpreting benign reasons on the part of Invasion 1944 like hindering competition, personal issues with mod members etc).

Differences of opinion are par for the course here, nobody is in any way bound to hold or present your view where you seem to insist that only yours should be stated here, there and everywhere. Rip31st may recall precisely why you felt you couldn't collaborate but if he doesn't agree with it or understand it he's not bound to present it and 'dunno' is probably the best possible answer, along that is with suggesting the poster ask for himself. Again, you're the ones going out of your way to grind the axe over some injury that must now be very, very old. It's verging on pathetic.

JDB's views and opinions do not represent the I44 mod (he is no longer a member), oh and also happy new year everyone! :)

JDB's views and opinions do not represent the I44 mod (he is no longer a member), oh and also happy new year everyone! :)

I was waiting for someone to say that. :rolleyes:

RIP I praise your patience! Keep up the work, looking forward to your updated Mod.:)

If we only wait for one big Mod coming out with cooperations from all, that may be tens later that we could really play something for WW2.

I have a feeling we have gone through this discussion many times.

We have dozens of duplicate models in Arma addons (look for example how many versions of M4 rifle you can find). So is it illegal to make yet another one? No. Maybe we want to make things bit differently or maybe we just love making models.

I was waiting for someone to say that. :rolleyes:

Guy has never been a part of the decision-making process, so I don't blame him for not knowing the full story ;)

Guy has never been a part of the decision-making process, so I don't blame him for not knowing the full story ;)

Who F**kin cares? Let it go already!!

Differences of opinion are par for the course here, nobody is in any way bound to hold or present your view where you seem to insist that only yours should be stated here, there and everywhere. Rip31st may recall precisely why you felt you couldn't collaborate but if he doesn't agree with it or understand it he's not bound to present it and 'dunno' is probably the best possible answer, along that is with suggesting the poster ask for himself. Again, you're the ones going out of your way to grind the axe over some injury that must now be very, very old. It's verging on pathetic.

True, true.

JDB's views and opinions do not represent the I44 mod (he's no longer a member), oh and also happy new year everyone!

You are no longer a member yet you still post like you are. Why did you leave again? I never got the full story, might as well post why in this thread so we can see all sides..oh wait...nobody cares. Move on. Get over it.

Those units are lookin nice. Can't wait for the release.

"...People are people so why should it be...you and I should get along so awfully..."

Can't we all just get along?

entertainment value of this thread +1 :)

Yeah but now it's leaking integrity, can we get back on topic? I expect JdB isn't making friends in either camp at this stage.

So, I've got an idea, rather than collaborating (which frankly seems impossible), what about one or both projects publish details of their armour/damage/penetration scheme as an open invitation to any other party to standardize with. Even if players can't enjoy a WW2 super-mod we'd all appreciate the ability to incorporate units from either mod in our missions and know that they're going to behave consistently.

We've stated were open source from the get go. Community members share with us. We share with them. If you want to modify the textures, sounds, configurations, take screen shots, make videos, need access to the mlods. Just ask.

You will get everything in the 1.00 alpha with exception to the mlods. If you need those, ask after the release.

We will provide our work, original work as intended, with our server sigs. After that, what the community does with them as they wish and deserve to enjoy our mod any way they wish to.

Well that's not much help is it? Essentially you're saying you'll release and if anybody wants to reverse engineer your system post-release that's up to them. Not exactly a great recipe for cross-mod interoperability. Presumably when people submit assets you take steps to ensure they're configured consistently? I mean you have an armour system... right? Why not share it ahead of release when both projects might still be in a position to act on it? And vice-versa.

Well that's not much help is it? Essentially you're saying you'll release and if anybody wants to reverse engineer your system post-release that's up to them. Not exactly a great recipe for cross-mod interoperability. Presumably when people submit assets you take steps to ensure they're configured consistently? I mean you have an armour system... right? Why not share it ahead of release when both projects might still be in a position to act on it? And vice-versa.

Not much help? :rolleyes: We're handing the community our mod served up on a silver platter, carte blanche. So we haven't helped by giving the community a mod, and an open source one at that? :j:

Again, our permissions our opened. If you consider other mod(s) are not, then wouldn't you presume then that it would be up to a third party or the mod that is not open to create compatibility. I do not plan to download any other ww2 mod, or make them compatible with ours unless presented openly with the task. I have no problem with someone doing that if that were to occur - which anyone could have figured out by now, that isn't happening. Someone could easily do that themselves and bin a config with a server signature and release it as their own mod. So long as they gained permissions from the other mod(s).

Until then you will have to wait to see what we come up with. It's our gift to give, don't rush under the tree to unwrap it before it's time.

And yes, your hunch is correct, whatever is contributed is configured accordingly.

Again, our permissions our opened. If you consider other mod(s) are not, then wouldn't you presume then that it would be up to a third party or the mod that is not open to create compatibility.

No, I don't think that's a reasonable expectation if they have to work it out by reverse-engineering your release and then request MLODs to review model selections. It would be vastly more efficient for one or both parties (there's moral high-ground up for grabs here) to spend the small amount of time required to detail how their system works and then we might see some interoperability, it won't happen any other way. So let's see who genuinely wants it.

No, I don't think that's a reasonable expectation if they have to work it out by reverse-engineering your release and then request MLODs to review model selections. It would be vastly more efficient for one or both parties (there's moral high-ground up for grabs here) to spend the small amount of time required to detail how their system works and then we might see some interoperability, it won't happen any other way. So let's see who genuinely wants it.

Reasonable expectation>download>install mod>have fun>do what you wish with it :)

IF 'moral high-ground' is up for grabs where interoperability is concerned, call me a sinner!

What is it with people that have this mentality that these mods take such small amounts of time. ( That's not a question ).

***Edit and note, the above is very quotable!

Edited by Rip31st

What is it with people that have this mentality that these mods take such small amounts of time. ( That's not a question ).

I'll answer it anyway. I think most people here appreciate how much dedication and sacrifice these labours of love demand and I'm certainly appreciative of all efforts by all parties but name me one player who wouldn't think it an absolutely OUTSTANDING result if all WW2 projects worked well together. I don't think it would be that hard to make happen given just a little willingness on all sides

dude , learn how to make your own mod and stop nitpicking these guys! your not paying them so they have no reason to answer to you! It seems all you want is for them to join the other ww2 modders but it aint gonna happen unless "they" want it to! be happy someone is doing this because its obvious you cant yourself! the FOW mod is a new venture trying to build on things the community would like to see like a little pacific action! put the stick away , stop beating the dead horse and be happy these guys are doing anything the way they keep getting called out for not doing enough! Im just a sideline guy watching all the mods but i really get annoyed by your demands , "THEY DONT OWE YOU A THING" its there mod let them build it the way they want!

Thanks rip and all the modders working on this , must be tough not to get discouraged by such crybabies whining all the time, i dont know how you do it!

carry on!