Sign in to follow this  
Nephris1

Roads

Hi folks,

i am wondering tharer is no road dedicated thread for "noobs" ....

, as playing roads is a real p.i.a.

I tried that tool "ArmaRoadGenerator" but was too dumb to get it working - dunno why.

So what is the correct way to place roads properly.

I placed for testing a smal piece of road, and got the error that the texture couldnt be loaded, although the textures are inside the roads folder in my working dir.

God i loved WRP Tool in OFP!

Roads are pretty straightforward...

Get good ol' Alliex's basic roads installation tutorial in my crappy wee tutorials section here, follow it by reading this discussion and you should be all set with the basic Visitor-based road tool...

You need to know how this works, so have a go placing a few road parts...

Once you have enough of a grasp of how it works to start thinking... "hold on - this is OK I guess, but it's gonna take forever, goddammit!" - head directly to Homer Johnston's Road Painter Tool thread - read the whole thing, watch the videos - then join the rest of us in Praising Homer for making the whole procedure about 20x faster than the Visitor tool!!! :D

You need the Visitor tool installed with all it's road parts for Homers tool generated import files to work - so slogging thru that first part is a necessary step anyway - plus, of course - it emphasises just how much of a godsend Homers tool is!!! I did about 70% of my road network before Homers stuff came out! - closest I've ever come to despair & giving up...

Roads will still take a while - they're one of the jobs you have to be patient and just plod along till you're done, but it isn't quite the ridiculous three month endurance test it once was...

Remember to add Homer to your credits!!! :D

Have fun

B

Edited by Bushlurker

Hey thx m8.

Setting roads is really time consuming ... an implementation into WorldTools would be great....:rolleyes: :)

Nevertheless i amstill wondering wh the road textures inside bulldozer of my little road pieces arent loaded.

In my working drive means P:\CA\Roads2\Data all textures are imported, as also the configs got copied to my project dir ....

Is it a bug or am i the bug here?

Hm...

Can you see your roads in visitor but not in Buldozer?

As far as i remember, when i defined a new style of road i had to save the pew and exit visitor. When i restarted visitor and buldozer the roads where visible as they should be.

No i get a texture not found (or sth) when starting bulldozer.

I´ll check it today again, as i was bothered with other basic things in visitor.

In visitor i can just see the template, means not a texture on the road, i guess that is normal.

Well, to not being misunderstood i ll post a screenshot, later today.

Thx for input.:)

I now treid to get into the roads in visitor again...but that led me to my initila problem, tht made me posting this thread ....

I get again a texture no found error.

As u can see on this image

http://img228.imageshack.us/i/arma2oa2010112915215377.jpg

When i now check my folders,things are a bit weird imho.

In my P folder i ve got 2 folders called "roads" and "roads2".

Th folder "roads" doesnt contain any Data folder with texture and stuff.

When i have a look into my "Arma2/Addons" folder there isnt any folder called just "roads" but "roads2".

http://img812.imageshack.us/i/roads0.jpg

Have i deleted probably the "roads.pbo" from my Addons folder, as this unpboed "roads"folder must have its origin?!

I can of course add all roads from "roads" and "roads2" folder to visitor, as i have them unpboed,but the "roads" p3d without textures.

That of course , is the reason for my "texture not found error".

The roads from "roads2" folder are working as they should in bulldozer.

Very strange.

So, do u have 2 folders in your ArmA2/addons folder called "roads" and "roads2"?

Edited by Nephris1

When you install the ArmA2 Tool Set BIS provides, it creates a ROAD and ROAD2 directory in P drive for you, and provided the special MLOD road sections that work with the editing tools.

When you then De-PBO a standard Roads.pbo into that folder, you have overwritten the special bits.

You may have to clean out your Road and Road2 directories and re-install the Tools.

Oh ffs . .. i c, thx bud.

---------- Post added at 07:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:04 PM ----------

I now extracted the tools again, and got 2 folders callled "roads" and roads2".

But in none of them are textures, which was my actual problem.

So how do i have to go on to getthe roads properly working?

When you install Visitor - just like Gnat says - it installs special MLOD road models in "Roads2" - these special .p3d's are required for the road tool in Visitor to work properly (they have memory points so they snap together, etc)...

So - unlike most other game .pbos - when you come to unpack the Roads2 game .pbo you DON'T copy over the whole thing - that would overwrite those special models! and you NEED them!... so you copy over everything EXCEPT the .p3d models - ie: "bridge", "dam" and "Data" folders, and the config.cpp - but NOT the .p3d models...

B

Oh man, i had today a hysterektomie at work... i tell ya that was more easy to learn than getting visitor and stuff runing properly...

Thx.

Working now!

I dont understand your problem, the tools are very intuitive for installing and explain in great detail what extra steps you have to do to get a fully intergrated editing suite ............... NOT

LOL

Hang in there .... ;)

Is it correct that the "roads" folder has no config, and so no config canbe copied over intomy terrain folder?

Another problem occured in visitor when i create an asf3_xxx road, the terminator doesnt show up in visitor, all other do ...at least those i ve tested/used so far.

Is it a bug or ...whatami doin wrong here .... once again...?

No, my ROADS folder has a CONFIG.BIN and the same CONFIG.CPP sitting there.

Sure its from when I De-PBO'ed the rest of the content into the directory.

..... not sure about the terminator sorry.

For not messing things up now:

When i install the p:/ drive via Bi-Tools the folder i get

p:/Ca/Roads with .p3d files only.

p:/Ca/Roads2 with .p3d files only.

When i extract the only roads folder inside my ArmA2 installation folder wich is

Arma2/Addons/Roads2 i receive

.p3d files

config.cpp

bridge folder

dam folder

Data folder

Next step:

I copy from the folder Arma2/Addons/Roads2

config.cpp

bridge folder

dam folder

Data folder

to p:/Ca/Roads2

That result in my p:/ca folder in

a roads folder with p3d without any config.cpp

a roads2 folder with config.cpp; bridge folder; dam folder; Data folder

Where do u get the config.cpp inside your p:/Ca/Roads folder?

Ummm ... hmmmm

I don't have a "Roads" PBO in ArmA2 anymore ....... did I ever?

Sorry, Maybe Roads.pbo is from ArmA1. I just copied it across a long time ago

Oh, and I looked again ... I fuked up, there is no config file in the Roads directory. *shrug*

Does the ArmA2 tools actually install that Roads directory?

If it does, thats a little odd because ArmA2 doesnt have a Roads PBO it seems !

Last I checked all A2 installs contain a Road & Roads2.pbo by default.

BI Tools will also install a Road & Roads2.pbo by default. :D

Oh my goodness what a messy mix...:D:eek:

My ArmA2 installation (vanilla) just installs

a Roads2 folder...

The roads & roads2 comes with the P: drive installation with the content i posted above.

Oh dear....what now....?

Hmm... really? Lol, maybe my installs fubar.

I was looking for Allies tutorial but can't find the thing. My CA\Roads2 has the config, bridge, dam stuff ... nothing else in my CA\Roads except the models.

Wish I could be of useful help, but alas roads are my last thing sort out here. So I really haven't tried or read much on them. :rolleyes:

*edit*

Ok so, I went and refreshed myself on the roads. I do not see the terminators either. Perhaps a feature? Hmm.. see everything else, but no terminators. Kinda annoying.

Edited by Gnome_AS

I've got all Allie's tuts on my website download page - precisely 'cause they're hard to find when you need them...

The important roads one is there too...

I don't seem to have a "roads" folder... just a "Roads2" - it has the Visitor-installed MLOD .p3d's, plus the Arma2- derived Bridge, Dam, Data folders and Config.cpp...

B

Interesting. Well, I have both folders. Extra stuff in Roads2, but only the pieces in Roads folder work in Visitor. Assume those are me special pieces. Which is all that really matters anyway I guess. (as far as road network parts)

So the no terminator is normal then?

I ve again problems with the terminator of asf3.

As already posted, the terminator doesnt alwys show up.

Right now,ive set one, must have saved my terrain, and right now i cant revert or delete that terminator.

Is there any technique , i can delete a terminator?

I cant select it in Visitor, as it is not present there, but in Bulldozer.

As the terminator is next to another roadpart, i cant cover it.

Any hints or suggestions would be much appreciated.

Hmm... isn't there a select object script or something floating around? Not sure what the functionality of it is, never used it myself. Perhaps that may help.

Also you might try selecting the piece in buldozer, alt-tab back to visitor, then press delete. This seems to work for me when I can't grab something in visitor. About all I got suggestions on this topic.

I'm still assuming myself the terminator issue is normal. I'll look and see if something can be done about that in general. I would think it's probably a config issue of sorts, perhaps in the .p3d files themselves. Tis rather annoying..

Well the strange thing is i cant see it in visitor, but i can inbulldozer.

I cant select it in both.

So this is really an anoying point,god thx it is just a map to learn .....and no real project.

Can't think of any suggestion at all Nephris... it's a weird problem... I know that some of the road parts (junctions mostly) are missing "icon" definitions which causes them to not show up on the in-game map, but thats not the issue here...

*edit... I vaguely remember reading about someone placing objects but then not being able to get a grip on them later... I think it was something to do with it being a large heightmap though... what size is your test map?

B

Edited by Bushlurker

Not sure if its related. I get these errors in the RPT file with Vanila OA/CO

Warning: Road selection asf3 has wrong name format

Warning: Road selection mud has wrong name format

Warning: Road selection asf3 has wrong name format

Warning: Road selection mud has wrong name format