Sign in to follow this  
-R-COM-FPaiva

Is there a way to replace default OFP Models?

I have brownsed the forums for a long time without being registred, but all the results i have managed to find where too old or didn't explained much things.

I want to know if there is a way for me replace the current default OFP models for new ones, so i can customize my own game.

Thanks in Advance

You can replace the default models by editing the main config located in the bin folder. You'll need to unbinarize the config and edit the model paths of whichever units you want to replace under CfgVehicles and change them to new ones. Don't replace the original game config though! It is recommended to use mod folders:

http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/modfolders

you can download and use some of the many existing replacement mods. GRAA and WW4mod have exceptional replacements for troops.

There are more out there however that replace weapons, vehicles, effects, landscape... just about everything in the original OFP.

I was meaning if is there a way for me to learn how to do the same as the FFUR team did, replacing the game units.

use a bin tool to convert or edit config.bin in your ofp\bin folder

scroll down to class CfgVehicles

change the model=""; to correspond with the new models you want to use

change the weapons[]={}; and magazines[]={}; to give the unit new weapons

repeat for every unit you wish to change

to change the models of existing weapons scroll to class cfgWeapons and again change the model=""; for every weapon you want to alter

BE SURE to backup your config.bin BEFORE attempting any changes and if you know how, use a mod folder for the new config.bin

Edited by SilverRanger

FPaiva;1794613']I was meaning if is there a way for me to learn how to do the same as the FFUR team did' date=' replacing the game units.[/quote']

yes apparently you just get everyone elses models and reconfigure them,compile and addon pack without asking them if you can use them, even if they do say no just use them anyway... i think thats how FFUR did it :P

I would do the same, the problem is that i cant find any suitable models.:)

use a bin tool to convert or edit config.bin in your ofp\bin folder

scroll down to class CfgVehicles

change the model=""; to correspond with the new models you want to use

change the weapons[]={}; and magazines[]={}; to give the unit new weapons

repeat for every unit you wish to change

to change the models of existing weapons scroll to class cfgWeapons and again change the model=""; for every weapon you want to alter

BE SURE to backup your config.bin BEFORE attempting any changes and if you know how, use a mod folder for the new config.bin

Thanks!

Thanks was helpful. But to edit the .bin file, i must have some especific program or i just need to use the notepad?

@wheres my rabbit ?

as long as he uses it on his own pc and doesn't release it as a separate mod, I don't think he needs permission. it's the same as taking FFUR or any mod, opening the campaign pbo and replacing all units inside manually to play the campaign with new soldiers...

@[R-COM]FPaiva

you need a specific program like BinView. use it to edit the config.bin or convert it to .cpp which you can then edit with notepad

Now is that really the best way to do it?

I did a mod, simple models, it´s on beta 0.39 yet but playable.

The good thing is that you can play multiplayer with others that dont have the mod installed.

Not sure that is possible when you edit .cpp files.