Sign in to follow this  
Spayker

Do something with cheaters or Battleye is unusefull!!!!!

Hey, everyone! I want tell you about gamehackers in Arma 2 OA / CO.

First of all, about my server configuration:

Battleye server version: 1.111

Host platform: Linux (Debian Lenny x64)

Arma 2 server version: 1.55

Arma 2 server name: -=WASP=- Arma 2 CO

Game mode: warfare

Let me introduce some server logs, whiches show you what battleye writes when some hacker tryes to connect:

14:12:23 Player PLAYER connected (id=).
14:12:23 PLAYER uses modified config file - 9600497.12

14:13:49 BattlEye Server: Player #11 PLAYER (41.248.179.78:2304) - GUID: 47efe2588fb0e63dc13c06acf2647da6
"6984.65 | NOTF | Server_PlayerConnected: Player PLAYER () has joined the game"

22:41:28 Hendrik uses modified data file - Arma 2;Arma 2: Operation Arrowhead;Arma 2: British Armed Forces
22:41:28 Player Hendrik connecting.
22:41:30 Player Hendrik connected (id=9121412Hendrik).
22:41:30 Hendrik uses modified config file - 1.04
22:49:04 Hendrik uses modified data file - Arma 2;Arma 2: Operation Arrowhead;Arma 2: British Armed Forces;beta;Expansion
22:49:04 Player Hendrik connecting.
22:49:04 Player Hendrik connected (id=629442).

<censored, please refrain from making advertisement for these... individuals>

In the end, I ask Battleye developers to make normal security level for arma 2 oa. We don't need new styles for MP. We don't need some mercenaries addons. Just fix these problems with cheaters and hacks! How do you want make Arma 2 more popular if it's so bugged and vulnerable to hacker attacks???

Edited by W0lle

One of the biggest reasons as to why Arma 2 is so vulnerable, as are all of BIS' games, is due to the robust and open-source scripting abilities the game comes with by default. They'd have to remove these in order for most of these cheats to go away, and that's never going to happen due to the huge modding community their games have. For now, BattlEye and signature checks are the way to go.

Anyone know what happened to Dolittle? :confused:

While I understand where you're coming from Zipper, isn't that a bit of a cop-out? As I understand it, most of these 'hacks' involve someone circumventing BattlEye and/or the signature checks to get the access required to abuse the scripting. Is the problem really that endemic to the design of the game that it's impossible to fix? More to the point, if it's been a problem with all of BI's games is it really that out of line to expect that a more robust solution could, or rather should, have been found by now?

One of the biggest reasons as to why Arma 2 is so vulnerable, as are all of BIS' games, is due to the robust and open-source scripting abilities the game comes with by default. They'd have to remove these in order for most of these cheats to go away, and that's never going to happen due to the huge modding community their games have. For now, BattlEye and signature checks are the way to go.

I'm sorry, but I do not believe that.

Yes, we have the robust scripting system, but BIS has access to the robust programming language called C++ in which their game is designed.

They can work better with the battleEye devs to properly protect the game. I find it really rediculous right now that we are told to "not use the ingame admin and remove our admin passwords".

It's been proven that the solution provided does not prevent the attacks. Instead of running around the problem, FIX IT!

We shouldn't have to alt-tab to ban people via BattleEye's command prompt style Rcon tool when the ingame admin system should just be fixed and IT should use BattleEye's design.

I'm not sure I understand how that connection data can be seen as a hack?

It clearly says the player is using a config file and some mods nothing about hacks.

Config files and mods are NOT hacks although some config files go dam close.

Why anybody feels the need to hack in this game is beyond me, theres no epeen stats to record on scoreboards once you leave the server assuming the particular mission is finished you have to start all over again score wise.

You'll find heaps of hackers in games like COD & BF but not sim games come on.

What you got owned by a better player and as you can't be beaten he must be hacking, heard it all before.

I have been playing Arma2 since release and more recently OA, I have admined two servers and I have NEVER seen a hacker, I have seen BE boot for mods though but thats it.

I love Arma for being a hack free game its fantastic and even advertise it as such to Friends looking for a new game.

Also it might pay to check peoples pings before you go calling hack lol.

Definitely not saying it's probably the biggest issue, just one of them. Sure, more can be done, and I agree that things like the ingame admin should be fixed (don't know why it hasn't been yet. Perhaps BIS have a reason?), but I'm simply stating it's unlikely that they'll ever compromise the scripting potential for cheater-free MP. Again, I'm only stating what I think is going on, not what is going on.

Frankly I'm surprised people are still hacking these games. Surely they'd get more of their much-sought-after lulz from bigger, more popular multiplayer games...

I'm not sure I understand how that connection data can be seen as a hack?

It clearly says the player is using a config file and some mods nothing about hacks.

Config files and mods are NOT hacks although some config files go dam close.

Why anybody feels the need to hack in this game is beyond me, theres no epeen stats to record on scoreboards once you leave the server assuming the particular mission is finished you have to start all over again score wise.

You'll find heaps of hackers in games like COD & BF but not sim games come on.

What you got owned by a better player and as you can't be beaten he must be hacking, heard it all before.

I have been playing Arma2 since release and more recently OA, I have admined two servers and I have NEVER seen a hacker, I have seen BE boot for mods though but thats it.

I love Arma for being a hack free game its fantastic and even advertise it as such to Friends looking for a new game.

Also it might pay to check peoples pings before you go calling hack lol.

Ehh is not all about points ingame some just play coop for the teamwork and when our base suddenly gets bombed over and over again or suddenly all players are doing squats or dancing for 10 minutes or suddenly all gets kicked from server even admin so dont say thats no hack

Yes, we have the robust scripting system, but BIS has access to the robust programming language called C++ in which their game is designed.

They can work better with the battleEye devs to properly protect the game. I find it really rediculous right now that we are told to "not use the ingame admin and remove our admin passwords".

It's been proven that the solution provided does not prevent the attacks. Instead of running around the problem, FIX IT!

We shouldn't have to alt-tab to ban people via BattleEye's command prompt style Rcon tool when the ingame admin system should just be fixed and IT should use BattleEye's design.

Just a thought but maybe bis is aware of the problem and is working on fixing it :idea:

Well then communication with the community would be the key right?

In this series, community has always been a part of the scene and it'd be great to get updates on this.

Make a simple post "We are addressing the admin issue, please stand by for an ETA", instead of saying "Don't use ingame admin and remove your admin pw from your config"...

Make a simple post "We are addressing the admin issue, please stand by for an ETA", instead of saying "Don't use ingame admin and remove your admin pw from your config"...

I think it was dwarden saying that but i also think you left out the part where he said "until we get it fixed" or something close to that.

You make it sound like it was a permanent solution!

Hey, everyone! I want tell you about gamehackers in Arma 2 OA / CO.

First of all, about my server configuration:

Battleye server version: 1.111

Host platform: Linux (Debian Lenny x64)

Arma 2 server version: 1.55

Arma 2 server name: -=WASP=- Arma 2 CO

Game mode: warfare

Let me introduce some server logs, whiches show you what battleye writes when some hacker tryes to connect:

14:12:23 Player PLAYER connected (id=).
14:12:23 PLAYER uses modified config file - 9600497.12

14:13:49 BattlEye Server: Player #11 PLAYER (41.248.179.78:2304) - GUID: 47efe2588fb0e63dc13c06acf2647da6
"6984.65 | NOTF | Server_PlayerConnected: Player PLAYER () has joined the game"

22:41:28 Hendrik uses modified data file - Arma 2;Arma 2: Operation Arrowhead;Arma 2: British Armed Forces
22:41:28 Player Hendrik connecting.
22:41:30 Player Hendrik connected (id=9121412Hendrik).
22:41:30 Hendrik uses modified config file - 1.04
22:49:04 Hendrik uses modified data file - Arma 2;Arma 2: Operation Arrowhead;Arma 2: British Armed Forces;beta;Expansion
22:49:04 Player Hendrik connecting.
22:49:04 Player Hendrik connected (id=629442).

<censored, please refrain from making advertisement for these... individuals>

In the end, I ask Battleye developers to make normal security level for arma 2 oa. We don't need new styles for MP. We don't need some mercenaries addons. Just fix these problems with cheaters and hacks! How do you want make Arma 2 more popular if it's so bugged and vulnerable to hacker attacks???

Oh wow, we've also had that Hendrik idiot in our Australia games.on.net server. He just did stupid crap like changing weather, putting players/vehicles in the sea in Chernarus.

You make it sound like it was a permanent solution!

Unfortunately, that's more or less what was implied. (Unless I'm missing a more recent update, emphasis mine: )

until this is completely rewritten / changed You server is and will be on danger being messed up by script kiddies ...

That really doesn't sound like a fix is coming in the near future. This has been a problem for quite a while now, and so far has really only received a band-aid that has utterly failed to stop the hemorrhaging.

Well, when you implement for the user scripting commands such as serverCommand, serverCommandAvailable, setVehicleInit, etc.... you are prone to see them abused, no matter how much checking code you put in it.

These commands give the player ability to act as admin, doing this will result in these commands being used, not always by the good guy.

Ofc somthing should be tried to control it, but I'm not sure there's a definite "we can re-code to make them non-abusable" answer.