Sign in to follow this  
rickidoo

Little ARMA 2 tips that help in a big way

There are tons of tutorials, a Wiki, and an army of players willing to help other players get more out of Arma. With so much information, it's easy for little tips to get lost in the mix. I'd like to start a thread here on Arma 2 tips, but each tip can only be a single sentence long. You can follow it with an optional 'benefit' statement, also one sentence long.

Here are a few that have helped me.

1. When interacting with foreign language locals, turn 'subtitles' on so you can see a translation of what is being said.

Benefit: It sure beats having to read the chat log for the English interpretation.

2. If you are in command and are in a helo looking for ground installations, turn up the video settings to see far distances (even if it slows framerates), and use the command view key ('del') to get a seller world view.

Benefit: You really get a great 'lay of the land' view and can use the helo patrol to pick up valuable intelligence.

3. Select a color team (e.g, red) by Shift and selecting one member of the team. (e.r., Shift F2)

4. When assigning members to a team color, team members 2,3,4 are always the leads.

Benefit: makes it very easy to select a team *single handed* with Shift-F2, Shift-F3, Shift-f4 etc.

4. When assigning members to a team color, team members 2,3,4 are always the leads.

Benefit: makes it very easy to select a team *single handed* with Shift-F2, Shift-F3, Shift-f4 etc.

Yes, that's a good one. :)

One little tip from me, which helped me a lot and I like to spread around:

Keep in mind that this might only work for people who play with the arrow keys. :)

To GETOUT or EJECT from a vehicle I don't search for the option in the action menu, which sometimes causes delays or even wrong selections.

I have these options set in the control menu to the following keys:

Get out: 2x Lean Left

Eject: 2x Lean Right

This setup won't be in conflict with anything because you can't lean yourself in a vehicle.

Edit: Oops, not 1 sentences longs, sorry. :)

Edited by Undeceived

Originally Posted by rickidoo

Both good.

Another: when setting up a convoy of several vehicles, assign drivers in order as suggested for teams by rickidoo - drivers would be 2,3,4 etc.

Benefit: You don't have to look at the team icons to know who's driving what, so it's easy to give orders to the drivers with F2, F3, F4 etc.

Ciao

Carl

Ok my little tip,

When working with AI dont run around like headless CoD players move between areas of high cover, the AI WILL use it, and move slowly under contact else the AI will break cover and stop engageing to try and stay in formation.

It really impressed me how the Friendly AI behaved when following these simple rules.

another AI tip

when in combat the AI will fight much better when ordered to do something specific. if you simply have them follow you as you aimlessly sprint around, the AIs are going to get cut up, spending more time trying to maintain unit cohesion than fighting.

try ordering a color team to a specific point on the ground, or directing thier fire. if they AI remain stationary they are much more deadly.

once the time comes to move, order your team to its new position, then move WITH them, not them with YOU.

One little tip from me, which helped me a lot and I like to spread around:

To GETOUT or EJECT from a vehicle I don't search for the option in the action menu, which sometimes causes delays or even wrong selections.

I have these options set in the control menu to the following keys:

Get out: 2x Lean Left

Eject: 2x Lean Right

This setup won't be in conflict with anything because you can't lean yourself in a vehicle.

Edit: Oops, not 1 sentences longs, sorry. :)

By default in vehicles E is fast forward and Q is slow forward isn't it?

-k

By default in vehicles E is fast forward and Q is slow forward isn't it?

-k

Henz why he whats to spread it around Haha, one day the AH-64 that spots you will suddenly fall from the sky following a very dissapointed pilot :D

Sh*t, guys, it could be. :(

I didn't think about that because I play with the arrow keys and have my lean left and right on the 1NUM and 2NUM. There is no fast / slow forward.

Hm... In that case I think you can scratch my tip. Unless you also play with the arrow keys.

I adapted my first post a little bit now.

On the other hand... I think that pressing the key twice won't make such a difference that the vehicle boosts 50 meters ahead before the getout-action takes place. :)

Edited by Undeceived

I use 2xC (stand) for: Get out, Eject, and Step Over.

This has on occasion (or a a rather hilarious effect) thrown me out of choppers mid flight as it is also the button for 'turn-right'. However as I spend very little time flying so it hasn't really been a problem.

-k

Edited by NkEnNy

Good solution too. :) Everything is better than searching for the right option in the action menu... :)

when you buy your AI set it up so they form a proper fire team. Fire Team Ready Assist.

rifleman - fire team leader - automatic rifleman - rifleman. I usually use AT infantry but if set it up that way you will increase the death dealing capacity of your fire teams.

always always try and have a vehicle providing over watch for your infantry. if they spot something, that vehicle will shoot at it from afar. example a tow system can reach out past 3 k. (not sure if it can in game but in RL it can lol)

If you are leading a convoy of trucks to deal with a town. recon it with your binos and spot as much as you can before you command your trucks to move in. you should see a pretty light show as they tear up the town.

For maximum chopper/plane fun, buy a good joystick with lots of buttons and a throttle. Map all your flight controls including "manual fire" and "next target" to it. Add controls so that you can use the action menu with a hat switch or something. Make sure to have a "getout/eject" button, as well as a countermeasures button. It makes the air vehicles a ton easier to fly and saves a lot of lives when transporting human teammates. Its a little expensive but it adds so much to the game.

Think i got mine to ctrl 2x O, i wanted 3X O since it used to be bail out in IL2(i think, or was it combat flight sim?) haha

Stay in cover, don't try to be a hero but a survivor.

Shift positions often to avoid being surrounded.

Stay in cover, don't try to be a hero but a survivor.

Shift positions often to avoid being surrounded.

use ` the 1 then 8 to tell your ai to take cover. They mostly get behind something but still will return fire making them effective and harder to hit.

not sure if being in stealth or combat makes a difference to this.

1 don't get shot

2 shoot everything

3 get money

But really , my only trick is to take your time...

Edited by Fox '09

-If you see strange circles around enemy and/or friendly troops this is because of low difficulty setting:

Goto -> options -> game options -> difficulty -> increase difficulty

-If the wheels of your plane wont turn enough for you to get onto the runway make sure you use the " left/ right paddle" function to turn and not the "left/ right turn"

Edited by larsiano

(Repost from another forum)

Unbind evasive forward (2xW) and bind Turbo to a key for classic FPS sprint (Turbo key + W), set Smoothing to min, put headbob to 1/6. You might also want to give Aiming deadzone = 1/6 a chance. I also have Zoom In bound to Mouse 4 (doesn't hold breath) and Zoom Out Toggle to Mouse 5 for room clearing.

If you play multiplayer in organized communities, unbind the default VoIP key (or move it in a less used area of the keyboard) and bind separate Direct, Group and Command channel keys. Please be aware you can use key combinations as well. (Caps Lock for Group, Ctrl+Caps Lock for Command channel VoIP). If you insist on using the default key (although you're asking for comms chaos :P), at least unbind the 2xCaps Lock = VoIP toggle.

When you get into a car, press 2xAlt to toggle freelook. You'll be able to drive with the keys and look around with the mouse. Just don't forget to untoggle it when getting out. You might find it useful to bind a key to Get Out as well (and perhaps Ctrl + 2xkey to Eject)

Pressing both W and Q allows you to drive at a faster speed

Or you can just use E ( default )

Use the ALT key to look around insted of shifting your body every where. Your aim stays inplace and you might not be seen as easily by AI.

Question: on map, how do you get the different markers I.e. dot, and such?

If you are under the command of an AI leader, remember to press space, then "Done," if you are in position, as this makes the AI do their next move faster.

Question: on map, how do you get the different markers I.e. dot, and such?

Double-click the map to add a marker and then use the Up and Down arrow keys to change the icon. You can only change the icon while you're editing the marker, not after. To delete a marker, move the mouse pointer over it (no need to click) and press Delete.

Double-click the map to add a marker and then use the Up and Down arrow keys to change the icon. You can only change the icon while you're editing the marker, not after. To delete a marker, move the mouse pointer over it (no need to click) and press Delete.

Thanks, I appreciate this.