Sign in to follow this  
rscarrab

OA+BAF CTD Crash

Hi, :)

I have recently received a new PC which is mainly intended for Arma2(OA+BAF). In every regard this PC is capable of running it without issue; i7 950@4.0GHz, 6GB RAM, 480GTX, Win7 64, OCZ 60GB SSD (for Arma2 only).

On my other PC i dont have any issues with Arma (in regards to CTD or error messages not brought on by mods). The specs are basically the same apart from; Q9400@3.2GHz, 4GB RAM, 1GB 5870, Win7 32, normal HDD.

A fresh install was done on my new system (of both operating system and Arma2). Arma2+OA+BAF was updated in this order;

Arma2 THEN 1.07

OA THEN 1.55

BAF THEN 1.01 (hotfix)

Before i installed another program (which was Empire Total War Game of the Year Edition) everything seemed to be working fine; Large battles with; 50% light vehicles, 30% tracked vehicles, 20% helicopters, 15% planes (RE: Flashpoint Takistan (SP Mission) -setup page).

Now when i try and do "benchmark 1" it doesnt load and Operation Arrowhead shows up as "not responding" in my task manager. Due to the fact that i could run such a large scale battle without issue and THEN crash on the benchmark is quite odd but suggests that it might be a GPU issue... though theres is no crash report nor any other form of indication that my graphics card drivers have crashed (ie. the popup error from the bottom right taskbar -display driver stopped working/nvldmkmm etc).

Note: benchmark 1 ran without issue before the 1.01 hotfix but because ive had this PC for such a short time i cant tell if thats related.

I can play benchmark2 & OA benchmark no problem, load up Cherno (which has high FPS, with units) and/or Takistan.

The crash can also occur after pro-longed gameplay, first it was a once off. Then it happened the next day twice, and then later that night you couldnt get a game without having a CTD from a frozen screen (never actually CTD's, rather the process just doesnt respond).

This is so strange and i cant seem to get my head around it. Anyway, when i get back from work ill be re-installing my OS and Arma2. I just hope this resolves it, ive even considered booting up Arma after applying every patch. Ridiculous. :rolleyes:

Any help would be appreciated as my heart is broken here after trying to get this all sorted. :(

question why ARMA 2 1.07 ? why not 1.08?

tbh, im not sure. I think it was because i was under the impression that 1.55 contained the 1.08 update files, so i figured 1.07 first (which i already had on a pen drive). Is that correct?

Dude. I just got my new computer - an i5 760 with lots of bells and whistles. I have JUST the same problems you are describing. My OC is dead stable in synthetic tests, so I hope its just this patch.

If I set my settings "too" high, I cant run benchmark 1 from original Arma 2.

The other threads about 1.55 indicates that ArmA 2 now will cop out if you use too high settings.

Hope I see you on the NF server soon! :yay:

Hey Viking, ye man its been a while since ive been on the server alright. As you can see ive got my hands full. :(

Actually i was on the other night, had all the teams set-up and ready to go. Then as soon as we catch enemy fire... CTD. Worst thing about it was that i was acting FTL. Joined back and same thing happened again. Decided not to join since i didnt want to keep messing with who is FTL and/or continue to get CTD's... was a real bummer, man.

(bear in mind that this was after 3 days (one of them being a WHOLE day) of troubleshooting my PC/Arma already).

---

Right so, ive re-installed my O/S twice already. I've re-installed all my GPU drivers, sound card drivers, updated directx, patched the windows hotfix (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/983615/en-us)(RE: http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=76670) and even gone so far as to install my Dell 24" monitor drivers. I've turned off Hyper-Threading and turned it back on.

Ive updated; Arma2 (to 1.08), OA (to 1.55), BAF (not lite, to 1.01).

When i first had an issue it was a plain and simple FREEZE. I could still hear sound effects and even talk to others over the direct ingame chat, but i had to end the process in task manager (system resources were free, not heavy under load).

Then i updated my Directx drivers and found that my issue became a CTD (as in i didnt require the use of task manager). At this point i was able to receive crash dumps, not before. So after checking the crash dumps i noticed that it contained about 100 lines of this;

"Buffer to small - nowhere to write the data".

I then proceeded to download the Beta 75666 which was meant to address this issue, which technically it did i suppose. I could play the first benchmark again and I could play longer without a crash (though the frequency is random, from what i can tell... or the variables are too vast for me to comprehend). And by "longer" i mean anywhere from 30mins to an hour, TOPS.

So now im getting an nvidia driver/dll error message in my crash dumps;

"Exception code: C0000005 ACCESS_VIOLATION at 006BEE0C

graphics: D3D9, Device: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 480, Driver:nvd3dum.dll 8.17.12.6099"

Ive been considering downgrading to 1.54, but does that mean i should also downgrade to 1.07? (which one is the cause? 1.55 or 1.08? Or both?)

Apart from user made threads there doesnt seem to be anything (BI) official stating that users should downgrade until a proper fix is in order. If there is no fix available at this moment than BI should create a thread stating as such.

As well as that the PMC DLC is just around the corner. Which i intend to purchase. If it turns out that this issue is left aside while PMC is given all the attention; than i will feel slightly shafted.

Suddenly this feels like the nvlddmkm error all over again. :mad::(:mad::(

Crash Dump #1 (Chernarus)

Exception code: C0000005 ACCESS_VIOLATION at 0096AEA8

graphics: D3D9, Device: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 480, Driver:nvd3dum.dll 8.17.12.6099

resolution: 1920x1080x32

Addons:

*omitted*

Mods: ca;expansion;baf;Expansion\beta;Expansion\beta\Expansion;BAF;@CBA;@zeu_AI;@CSM2BAF;@Vopsounds;@sthud;Objectdraw;@JTD;@DC;@GDTCompass;@mapPlus;@GDTBinocular;@LandTex;@sap_clutter

Distribution: 1486

Version 1.55.75666

Fault address: 0096AEA8 01:00569EA8 F:\Program Files\Bohemia Interactive\ArmA 2\Expansion\beta\arma2oa.exe

file: [FPSTEST]Jet%20FPS%20Test

world: Chernarus

Prev. code bytes: C2 04 00 D9 44 24 04 51 D9 1C 24 E8 28 27 00 00

Fault code bytes: D9 06 8B 44 24 10 D8 C9 83 C4 04 D9 18 D9 46 04

Registers:

EAX:0CB0123C EBX:0C040000

ECX:078F5A38 EDX:00000000

ESI:078F5A38 EDI:0CB00800

CS:EIP:0023:0096AEA8

SS:ESP:002B:078F5A20 EBP:09A8E100

DS:002B ES:002B FS:0053 GS:002B

Flags:00010203

Crash Dump #2 (Takistan)

Exception code: C0000005 ACCESS_VIOLATION at 006BEE0C

graphics: D3D9, Device: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 480, Driver:nvd3dum.dll 8.17.12.6099

resolution: 1920x1080x32

Addons:

*omitted*

Mods: ca;expansion;baf;Expansion\beta;Expansion\beta\Expansion;BAF;@CBA;@zeu_AI;@CSM2BAF;@Vopsounds;@sthud;Objectdraw;@JTD;@DC;@GDTCompass;@mapPlus;@GDTBinocular;@LandTex;@sap_clutter

Distribution: 1486

Version 1.55.75666

Fault address: 006BEE0C 01:002BDE0C F:\Program Files\Bohemia Interactive\ArmA 2\Expansion\beta\arma2oa.exe

file: FlashpointTakistan104 (__cur_sp)

world: takistan

Prev. code bytes: CC CC CC CC 56 8B F1 E8 F8 8C 07 00 8B 44 24 08

Fault code bytes: 8B 48 04 8B 10 51 52 8B CE E8 86 D3 FF FF 8B C6

Registers:

EAX:000092E4 EBX:00C89D18

ECX:0182F47C EDX:00000002

ESI:0182F47C EDI:00000000

CS:EIP:0023:006BEE0C

SS:ESP:002B:0182F45C EBP:0182F4D8

DS:002B ES:002B FS:0053 GS:002B

Flags:00010246

Crash Dump link:

---

And Dwarden, FYI;

"This is the official update for Arma 2: Operation Arrowhead from 1.50-1.54 version to 1.55. This patch will also update your original Arma 2 1.00-1.07 to 1.08 if necessary." (http://www.arma2.com/index.php?Itemid=20&option=com_rokdownloads&view=folder〈=)

Edited by rscarrab
Crash Dump link added

if you have crashes please either

1. follow the instructions how post bug report ticket on CIT here

it has even sticky here: http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=102991

or

2. send me email on my nickname @bistudio.com with crashdump files (arma2oa.mdmp arma2oa.bidmp arma2oa.rpt)

and subject should contain [Crash]

and files should be compressed

I have already --in my previous post-- included a download link to the crashdump files you requested. This is the "less preferred" method is it not?

less preffered method:

Spoiler:

pack them (all 3 or 2) into 7z/rar/zip archive and upload to e.g. www.rapidshare.de or other usable free download services

http://www.filedropper.com/

http://www.filefactory.com/

http://www.easy-share.com/

http://fileqube.com/

http://myfreefilehosting.com/

http://www.mediafire.com

http://fileden.com/

http://badongo.com/

then post URL to the file as part of Your new thread

Anyway, ill send the file over email as well.

Cheers

Haven't read all the replys here so there may be someone with a much better suggestion than I. But this is what worked for me. First let me say that I have a DVD for ArmA 2 and a DVD for AO and the Sprocket for BAF.

I installed the 1.55 patch + the hot fix for BAF and that is all. I seem to be able to play any where that is patched (servers).

thanks for the dump, btw. there is new beta build 76067 so please try it :)

Ok, will do that Dwarden. Cheers.

Thanks for the suggestion ChiefRedCloud, but my problem isnt necessarily connecting to servers. Rather i cant play Arma2 in GPU intensive scenarios. So i wont even bother connecting to a server if that issue still exists.

Like for instance i play the Takisan Army Showcase scenario, get in the fighter jet at the airport in Zagrabad and fly over the centre of Zagrabad 2 or 3 times, as low as possible. This was the only way i could quickly force a crash (ie without getting immersed after half an hour to an hour).

I also noticed that those who are NOT experiencing problems are for the majority med-high end users. Those (EDIT: or some) of us running V. High settings are getting problems when the GPU is under heavy load (like, a lot of shit is happening at once).

Hey O'B,

I know you installed a new OS but since you had something to do with the Nvidia driver in the crash dump have you used an NVidia cleaner like "DriverCleanerPro" or something like that to make sure there are no residuals.

Perhaps use a previous driver...?

If its in the NVidia driver options: make sure that CUDA GPUs used is set to 'Zero'

Hope to see you back in the server soon mate...

Edited by Dwarden
it's CUDA not GUBA :)

Hey Ed, Ye i downgraded my nvidia drivers from 260.99 to 558.96.

The last time i did it i decided to follow an online tut (i opted for the more meticulous method, this time) which explained that i should turn off windows driver update, which i did. remove only PhysX and Stereoscopic drivers from Add/Remove Programs. Then delete all Nvidia & Nvidia Corp folders (C:\Program Data; C:\Program Files; C:\Program Files(x86)) as well as the files located in the Windows dir (C:\Windows\sytem32\driverrepository\some folder in there containing the older nvidia files).

Then i went into device manager and manually unistalled my GPU driver. Rebooted into safe mode and ran driversweeper and deleted EVERYTHING nvidia.

Rebooted again and instead of using the nvidia installer (which i had done 3/4 times previously) i manually installed the drivers from device manager, pointing to the already extracted nvidia driver files.

Cheers for the suggestion regarding turning CUDA GPUs to 'Zero' btw, im gonna try that out when i get home. :)

I re-installed 558.96 cause they are the ones Von is using. Only difference is that he has a GTX 470 and i have a 480... but i figure they should perform under the same drivers similarly.

Note:

Game is being played at these settings;

Everything V.High except;

-AA = Normal

-Shadows = High

Resolution: 1920x1080 (native output is 1920x1200)

View Distance: 4000/4100/4086 (depending on what values were available after a re-install)

HDRprecision = 32 (or set to V.High in options where the version allows)

Did memtest, ran for 8 hours; did 9 passes with 0 errors.

Ran Furmark for half an hour and the GPU peaked at 100 degrees C.

Would this have anything to do with HyperThreading?

Can anyone running @ 1920x1080 w/ everything V. High confirm that they arent experiencing any issues after prolonged gaming sessions?

Any help would be appreciated.

EDIT;

The i7 950 iam using is running at 4.0GHz (stable overclock). Would that coupled with the amount of power a GTX 480 needs require a bigger PSU? (mine being a 600w)

The only sign of instability in my system is when arma is running, also would anyone know of any stress tests that stress the CPU and GPU together?

Edited by rscarrab

Hey Thor, its coming along as well as it possibly can on my end here. :)

Prime95 was throwing up BSOD's (within about 2 mins on test #2) but after having a good chat with Viking there yesterday i went ahead and tested it without HT (which i had done before to see if there was any improvement in FPS, which there wasnt -so i turned it back on). It was interesting cause i wasnt aware that when you turn off HT; Prime95 shows 4 CPU's rather than 6 (or is it 7, cant remember), the extra ones being virtual cores.

I have it stable in Prime95 which i ran for 2 hours after taking off HT. Thing is it's still crashing, have to ctrl+alt+del to kill arma after it hangs.

Im convinced there is something thats needs doing on BI's end. Wish i could do it myself tbh as ive spent the last 2 weeks meticulously narrowing down the issue.

I've created a ticket (http://dev-heaven.net/issues/15410) which hopefully should get some much needed attention. :)

Vonnie's crashing as well now, but he's saying that he's getting BSOD's outside of arma, though i believe he's getting the same type of crash as myself and many others, but his .RPT file (crashdumps) dont come up with the same errors as mine. If im talking to him later tonight than im going to suggest that he upload his crash dumps.

Im not using -exthreads btw and i cant be sure whether it will directly affect the CTD's im experiencing. I thought i heard that quads are supported by default now since some time ago, negating the need to use -exthreads. i dunno though...