Sign in to follow this  
maturin

Newbie looking to unpack .pbos

I downloaded the CPBO tool for my Arma 2 1.08 on Windows 7, but I can't get it to work. The tool claims that is has been synced to the files, but clicking on a given .pbo only brings up a black script box for a fraction of a second.

Looking around here, it seems I have to mess with my registry to get it to work, and I'd rather not do that. Does anyone know of a tool that will work out of the box, and does it come with a detailed readme or tutorial. Any linked or posted help would be much appreciated as I am a complete beginner. Google hasn't yielded too many good results.

If anyone is interested, I intend to mess around with ACE 2 recoil configs for personal use. I'm told it's as simple as finding the file and changing things in notepad, so if there's likely to be any hidden pitfalls, let me know.

Anyone? Is this the right forum? There has to be at least a good tutorial somewhere.

if you don't want to mess with your registry, you can still use cpbo from command line.

to extract use cpbo.exe -e somefile.pbo

to make pbo use cpbo.exe -p directory somefile.pbo

...you can see the options available when you run cpbo from the command line.

if you don't want to mess with your registry, you can still use cpbo from command line.

to extract use cpbo.exe -e somefile.pbo

to make pbo use cpbo.exe -p directory somefile.pbo

...you can see the options available when you run cpbo from the command line.

That sounds more like it...

I typed exactly that into command line (a black script box, never used it before) and hit enter but it didn't recognized cpb.exe as a program.

I've been messing with the various PBO unpacking and viewing apps for a day or two now. CPBO works by registering itself with PBO packages in the windows interface. Because of that, it needs to edit the registry, which Windows 7 by default does not allow programs to do. If you right click the CPBO.exe and select 'run as administrator,' entering any passwords if needed, it should be able to register itself and should start giving you options on the right click menu for PBO's.

I tried to run it as administrator already. I think I have to edit the registry to allow it to edit the registry.

Pbo View is a handy little tool but it doesn't seem able to unpack BAF or PMC pbo files )and yes, I got the updated version).

I really want to have a look at the PMC missions but can't unpack the pbo. cpbo returns an unkown block in header error (even using the 7.7.2010 release) and DeBpo returns an unknown header type error (got the very latest from Mikeroo's page on DH). I also tried MacsTools pbo but it just crashes.

Does anyone know how to unpack PMC pbo's?

PMC and BAF pbos have an encrypted header that's why tools do not work.

If you installed CPBO which you did, right click the pbo you want to unpack and go to open with,

and browse for cbo, once you have it then cpbo icon will show in the list,click on it and hit ok and you will unpack the pbo.

A folder with the same title as the pbo will showup either right underneath the pbo,

or at the end of the folder the pbo is in.

Tried that Gunter - it works for A2 and OA pbos but not BAF or PMC pbos.

Are you able to unpack the BAF and PMC pbos?

I don't have high hopes, based on T_D's reply above, but would be happy to be surprised. ;)

Edited by KaBoNG

I've managed to unpack the PBO's via the command line only; which is fine. What I'd like to know is: where is the information within the PBO that states where the units will appear within the Editor unit tree? i.e. which side; whether is is USMC, US ARMY, BAF; and whether it is AIR, MEN, SHIP? I want to reorganise these because my unit tree is getting very fragmented with all the addons.

where is the information within the PBO that states where the units will appear within the Editor unit tree?
I want to reorganise these because my unit tree is getting very fragmented with all the addons.

Excellent question, and it would be a neat idea to do that, I mean if your in the editor imagine if you could reorganize the units ladder,

or the others related to where you want.

You know, come to think of it it wouldn't be a bad idea to have that feature in the editor to begin with.

I mean your going to be the only one using your editor why not have it organised the way you want, based on how you edit and or do things.

Well being outside of your question as to how to do it, I got to assume its a configuration file seperate from the addons or

pbos themself that takes the pbos and integrates them, just a guess really, but Im sure someone would know perhaps one of the addon makers.

Hope you figure it out.

Sorry for resurrecting such an old thread, but I have wasted nearly an hour searching through troubleshooting threads and trying out different PBO tools. I am a Bear of Very Little Brain and cannot get any of the PBO tools to work. I do not want to mess with my registry. Running cPBO from the command line isn't working, nor are any of the other non-registry-fiddly recommended fixes for any of the PBO tools I've tried. Can anyone help me get an easy-to-use PBO extractor tool working? I'm an artist, not a programmer. ("Damn it, Jim!") Oh--nearly forgot; I'm trying to extract default BIS PBOs from Arma 2 Free, not the encoded expansions' PBO files.

Edited by Echo38

I've seen your post earlier and I would personally recommend PBO Manager. It's easy to use, built into the context menu (when you right click in Explorer). After installing, simply move the PBO of choice into your A2 Profile\missions folder (available in My Docs) and extract the pbo into its own folder. When you're done editing, use the context menu again to repackage it.

Hmm, the BIS community wiki doesn't seem to have an entry on PBO Manager. Any idea why?