Sign in to follow this  
mugaben

Another coordinate problem

Hey guys.

I cant find any solutions to my coordinate problem.

When zoomed all out, (100km squares), the coordinates show 1 digit.

Thats fine, on a 100km map i guess.

But zooming in:

one click (10km squares), theres to digits

two clicks (1km squares) and further, (100 meter squares), theres only 1 digit on both :confused:

This is the parts of my config which should control these blocks in the coordinate system. Ive tried a few things, but nothing seems to have done anything.

class UTM {
		west = 700000.000000;
		south = 5089760.000000;
		zone = 31;
		hemisphere = "N";
		};
		longitude = 52;	// positive is east
		latitude = -10;	// positive is south

class Grid : Grid {
		offsetX = -700000.000000;
		offsetY = 5100000.000000;

class Zoom1 {
			zoomMax = 0.02;
			format = "XY";
			formatX = 0000;
			formatY = 0000;
			stepX = 10;
			stepY = -10;
		};

class Zoom2 {
			zoomMax = 0.15;
			format = "XY";
			formatX = 000;
			formatY = 000;
			stepX = 100;
			stepY = -100;
		};

class Zoom3 {
			zoomMax = 0.85;
			format = "XY";
			formatX = "00";
			formatY = "00";
			stepX = 1000;
			stepY = -1000;
		};

class Zoom4 {
			zoomMax = 1e+030;
			format = "XY";
			formatX = "0";
			formatY = "0";
			stepX = 10000;
			stepY = -10000;
		};
	};

Any ideas?

The map is 10x10 / 10240x10240 / 100km2. Sattelite is also 10240x10240 and cell meters is 10.

class UTM 
	{
		west = 700000.000000;
		south = 5089760.000000;
		zone = 31;
		hemisphere = "N";
	};
	longitude = 52;	// positive is east
	latitude = -10;	// positive is south

class Grid : Grid 
	{

class Zoom1	
		{
			zoomMax = 0.02;
			format = "XY";
			formatX = "0000";
			formatY = "0000";
			stepX = 10;
			stepY = -10;
		};

class Zoom2	
		{
			zoomMax = 0.15;
			format = "XY";
			formatX = "000";
			formatY = "000";
			stepX = 100;
			stepY = -100;
		};
		class Zoom3	
		{
			zoomMax = 0.85;
			format = "XY";
			formatX = "00";
			formatY = "00";
			stepX = 1000;
			stepY = -1000;
		};
		class Zoom4
		{
			zoomMax = 1e+030;
			format = "XY";
			formatX = "0";
			formatY = "0";
			stepX = 10000;
			stepY = -10000;
		};
	};

Akio: what exactly does the hemisphere variable do? What if you have a world placed in Latin America, how can you define Western and Southern hemisphere at the same time?

I don't remember seeing any of this "class UTM" stuff in a config, though of course I could be wrong... where did you get this info Akio??

@Ice...

take a quick look at this crappy chart... basically, Zero is on that Greenwich meridian for longitude, and the Equator is Zero for latitude...

South America is well to the west of the UK, and below the equator, so the West and South values will both be negative... "Zones" are different... the UK and the Greenwich meridian are the borderline between Zone 30 & 31...

Without going in to massive technical detail... imagine an orange skin - peeled off an orange... it isn't flat - nor can it ever be made truly flat... However - you could press a small area down hard against the table - that'll make that bit flat at least, but all the other surrounding bits will curve up and away from that flat bit... Thats OK if you're only interested in the little bit of orange skin directly under your fingertip...

Thats basically what UTM zones do.. when you're looking at just that one zone your map will be ok - point to point measurements on the map will pretty much agree with point to point measurements out "in the field" but as u start to move into neighbouring zones, things get further and further out of whack

if you need a map on a large enough scale to cover several UTM zones it's time for a different projection & datum...

For most smaller uses UTM is what you want... hassles only really occur if the area you're interested is on a border between two zones... UTM is what most people will see in a local weathermap for example... big countries like the US, or depictions of bigger areas (like Google map) tend to use a big cylindrical projection like Geographic Lat/Long... this can make areas look rather different... it's really for looking at whole countries...

DEMs, Google Images - they're all "Geographic Lat/Long" - little pieces of a big picture of a whole country made to look flat(ish)... they're the whole orange peel... - which is why you should "reproject" to UTM (wgs 1984 + appropriate zone) - just like ZeroG illustrates in his excellent tutorial... which makes your little bit of landscape part of a relatively small area stretched to look like the only truly flat bit on earth... the bit of orange peel directly under your fingertip...

B

Edited by Bushlurker

Maybe im blind. :) I dont see any difference in my config text, and aiko's.?

Class UTM is something I found while looking for a solution to my problem, which has yet to be found. I think it was in one of aikos posts I found this. I just added it without knowing what it would do or not do. So far - no difference.

class zoom1 :

formatX = 0000;

formatY = 0000;

replaced by

formatX = "0000";

formatY = "0000";

class zoom2

formatX = 000;

formatY = 000;

replaced by

formatX = "000";

formatY = "000";

With your configuration, I encountered the same problem as you.

By changing the two class (zoom1 and zoom2), it works.

---------- Post added at 01:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:36 PM ----------

class UTM

// Class that can provide UTM coordinates to a map after a real terrain. Can also be applied to a field imaginary.

{

// UTM COORDINATES "WEST" AND "SOUTH" MAY BE TAKEN ON THE SAME ITEM : BOTTOM RIGHT CORNER OF YOUR CARD

west = 700000.000000;

// UTM Coordinate Axis West (X) card that matches the right edge of your card (OR BOTTOM RIGHT CORNER OF YOUR CARD)

//To find it, use the "Google Hearth" in "Mercator Projection transvers" or use a map with WGS84 coordinates metric.

south = 5089760.000000;

// UTM coordinate axis of the South (Y) card that matches the bottom edge of your card (OR BOTTOM RIGHT CORNER OF YOUR CARD)

// To find it, use the "Google Hearth" in "Mercator Projection transvers" or use a map with WGS84 coordinates metric.

zone = 32;

// The time in which is the coordinates of "South / West," you have marked above.

// To help you http://www.dmap.co.uk/utmworld.htm

hemisphere = "N"; // N (North) ou S (South)

};

latitude = 52;

// In degree, a figure "round"

// A positive value will refer to the Southern Hemisphere, we are out in the Northern Hemisphere

// To find it, use the "Google Hearth" to "Degrees, minutes, seconds"

longitude = -10;

// In degree, a figure "round"

// A positive value means the East and a negative value means the West.

// To find it, use the "Google Hearth" to "Degrees, minutes, seconds"

class Grid

{

// The value of your coordinated West (X) with - (minus) in front.

// North Coordinate axis (Y) of your map

// To find: coordinated South (Y), plus (+) the distance in meters on the side of your property (by 10240).

Edited by akio