Sign in to follow this  
acidic35

Submarines?

i don't think they are, since there is all those rocks, i think it will only be possible for the sub to appear floating on water, which is useless.

It should be pretty easy to model - just a nice little periscope biggrin.gif

actually, it kinda does

walker made a wetsuit addon, but since you can't go underwater with your view, the view perspective was just above ground, and personally i wouldn't find looking through a periscope any fun, or shooting one for that matter. someone made a TLAM missile/script a long time ago, so if you wanted a launch you could just make it come out of the water, since if a sub was there it would be firing submerged anyway

You don't need to use any scripts to get the submarine to float. Just use the same kind of config.cpp like the LST does.

Tho you wouldn't be able to drive it. But it would be cool as scenery, and as a launch platform for Navy Seals.

Dont see why it cant be done. Bmp floats and you can drive it. LST floats and you can drive it (a little slow for my liking). If you really wanted to you could drive a tank under water (although you would die quickly). Although why you'ld want a submarine is beyond me. What use does it have apart from missiles? Firing torpedoes at the shore???

you could sink a jeep on the beach biggrin.gif

but i don't really see why they would be much use, unless they are extremely shallow they can usually launch SEALs submerged.

i guess some diesel submarine sitting on the surface recharging it's batteries would be logical, but what would a diesel submarine be doing at a gay resort island?

the wetsuit addon is just a boat that is smaller. And it bounces about 3 miles into the air and takes FOREVER to come back down. And plus, it's too slow

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (theavonlady @ May 06 2002,18:19)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">You could race them across Everon.  smile.gif<span id='postcolor'>

LST vs Submarine??? Well that would be cool... If engeine does not support it then Boheima Studios should kick their coders in the asses and get them to work.... RECODING TIME!!!

yeah I agree with Sweeper. Everybody says "the engine won't support it" but it won't be that unlikely Bis would update the OFP engine, maybe in the resistance addon

yeah but we have to ask do they really have any practical use? who's going to want to sit underwater and launch some missiles inland when you can be up there in the middle of it?

How about floating ships with tomahawks, will they work in OFP? there is a lot of water areas in OFP i hate to see them go to waste

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">You could race them across Everon. <span id='postcolor'>

Hmmm...I always did like "going to the submarine races."

wow.gifwow.gifwow.giftounge.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (USSoldier11B @ May 07 2002,08:09)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Hmmm...I always did like "going to the submarine races".<span id='postcolor'>

For those that aren't aware, someone did put out an over-land racing mission with you in OFP's patrol boat versus about a dozen more AI boats. First one in the water on the other side wins!

Anyone got a link? That was one funny mission!

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (theavonlady @ May 07 2002,07:15)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">wow.gif9--></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (USSoldier11B @ May 07 2002,08wow.gif9)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Hmmm...I always did like "going to the submarine races".<span id='postcolor'>

For those that aren't aware, someone did put out an over-land racing mission with you in OFP's patrol boat versus about a dozen more AI boats. First one in the water on the other side wins!

Anyone got a link? That was one funny mission!<span id='postcolor'>

can u shoot each other??!!

The cpp of the wetsuit can be redone to act as a submarine but it needs a model (as does the diver this would stop the bouncing thing completely) I am waiting to see if I can get oxygen.

I and several others allready have models for a submarine in .obj format and I have a cpp script that works, including a periscope view. With oxygen available now such things will be possible.

Depth change seams to require some jiggerypokery with aircraft config cpp simulating a BMP and inheriting some aspects of land vehicle class. It also probably requires maximum depth / height settings to be set for that particular vehicle. I am not sure how it will work as I am still experimenting. I have a script that can do this but it is not ideal; it puts a big load on the processor. Better if it is a property of the vehicle.

Water depth on current maps is not sufficient to dive deep so subs will not be able to get close to islands hence we will need new maps as well. Wrpedit or visitor will solve this.

Seeing underwater is not possible in the engine. We will have to wait for OFP 2. (I am trying some techniques to mimic an underwater view but they are not ideal)

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (acidic35 @ May 07 2002,11:45)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (theavonlady @ May 07 2002,07:15)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (USSoldier11B @ May 07 2002,08<!--emo&wow.gif)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Hmmm...I always did like "going to the submarine races".<span id='postcolor'>

Anyone got a link? That was one funny mission!<span id='postcolor'>

can u shoot each other??!!<span id='postcolor'>

No cheating!

Everone starts off as pilot of their boat and if you spend even a second disembarking, you'll most probably "miss the boat". biggrin.gif

And whats the point of a submarine?confused.gif??

sneak attacks? what do you plan to do run your sub aground and jump out?

honestly i'd rather start at the beach, do a halo, or use a damn boat than sit in a sub as it creeps along at 5-10 knots

1. The author of this thread has spent 0 seconds thinking about the actual use of a modern submarine.

2. The author of this thread is 14 years old seeking hollywood style explosions.

3. You don't need a submarine.

4. No major war conflict would ever take place on such a tiny island. The conflicts depicted in the original 1985 campaign is about as big as it would get. If the enemy had major bases on such an island, the Air Force would probably bomb it back to the stone age or the Navy would dispatch a Destroyer to flatten it with cruise missiles.

5. Yes, additional sea units would be nice, but instead of a Los Angeles class nuclear submarine, let's add an inflatable raft, which could be used for silent Black Op insertion.

6. You don't need a submarine.

7. You don't need a submarine.

8. You don't need a submarine.

9. Please stop posting retarded suggestions like "Let's have C-5", "Let's have 747", "Let's have Submarine".

Inflatable raft now whats the point of that!!!!, hehe only joking, now thats more like it, yeah top idea m8, inflatable raft silent approach excellent......