Sign in to follow this  
Dwarden

ARMA 2: Operation Arrowhead, version 1.55 - Patch released.

One nice thing I have noticed since this last patch is that para jumping now looks really nice. Before the ground would only get its proper textures at about 500m, now it looks good from way up. Thanks!

For me patching back to 1.54 and reinstalling the game did the trick. It remove unnecessary files and now it works beautifully.

I'm sure this has been posted by many others, but for me the game is basically unplayable now do to the LOD issues. I haven't played vanilla ArmA 2 in awhile so I will give that a shot, but if it is FUBAR'd as well I will be uninstalling the game and patching back prior to this disaster.

Seriously BI, breaking doFire, several other things, and this God-foresaken LOD issue reaks of little to zero quality assurance testing. You should stop all work on your PMC pet project and fix the game you broke.

I love this game, but hate this crap.

Edit: Take a queue from the medical community - With regards to patching your games, first - DO NO HARM.

Edited by RangerX3X
My brain needs a defrag...

That's called 'backing up' :)

On my system copy/paste/rename (15 Gb) is much faster than doing a reinstall. But I don't have any mods or addons, so I can see that impacting the speed if you have many Gb of mods and other addons. Does uninstall/reinstall play nice with mods and other add-ons?

I am tired of this. I downloaded the patch in good faith. Now I can't play the game but a few minutes before a stuttering and slow down occurs, things dissappear, and my game play impossible.

There is a memory leak, or whatever you want to call it that this patch creates. Cannot BI fix this?

I know I m not the only person experiencing this.

Please fix this or tell me what I must do to do so.

Thank you

Confirmed! I have the same problem. Weird things stop working. Like my dialogs stop popping up when they are supposed to. My frame rate drops from 90 to 27. The only way to fix it is windowing out and back in. I'm extremely pissed off about this. How could a prob as big as this not be caught?

Yes im experiencing it randomly on Chernarus map and other places.

Last night for example I was playing Chernarus at night, and all is well (apart from obvious LOD flicker) .. and after about 39 mins of play I needed to flank my team by vehicle to get a better position for over-watch of a target. I was driving then got out, then very suddenly it felt like a load of AI had spawned fps wise and turning became jittery and everything you expect when allot of calculations and AI are around (bearing in mind there is only me and my team and nothing near as I know becuase I made the mission).

Second thing I notice is any object within 200-300 radius will start popping in and out and redraw slower per head turn. As soon as this happens I know what to do, I simply alt-tab, wait a second or so, tab back ... and hey presto FPS is back to what it should be and no clumps of trees re drawing slower.

So I can confirm over time this will happen, and alt-tab always fixes it (for me). Never had this in my entire time using A2 up to AO or any patches, only up to the pre 1.55 and 1.55 official, all graphic settings never change throughout or my rig, I dont have background task running and always kill firewall and things like that, again nothing changed like that since I installed OA from v1.1

I have said this before but I have played enough now to see this randomly happen and a repeatable way to fix it.

Although it never gets enough to be crash worthy, it just gets sluggish.

Now, is that a memory leak buffer issue some place?

(OA CO BTW)

Edited by mrcash2009

The direct speech channel in the new update, doesnt work. You can type in what you want to say but no other person can read it. it doesnt show up on their end. Is anyone aware of this?

On my system copy/paste/rename (15 Gb) is much faster than doing a reinstall. But I don't have any mods or addons, so I can see that impacting the speed if you have many Gb of mods and other addons. Does uninstall/reinstall play nice with mods and other add-ons?

As I mentioned in my post, uninstall doesn't touch modfolders so long as you say "NO" when asked if you want to delete saved game files, etc. It only deletes the game files from the installation folder. The installation folder and anything you've added remain intact.

I back up the whole folder, it's only about 20 GB. Then I delete the installation folder before copying back; safer than copying with 'overwrite' in case BI ever adds additional files in the game "Addons" folder, /dta or wherever. Those hanging around could potentially cause problems.

Note for computer novices: this works only because there are very few and consistent registry entries. This is not necessarily the case for other software. Not a recommended roll-back procedure in general.

Ciao

Carl

---------- Post added at 14:55 ---------- Previous post was at 14:39 ----------

I'm extremely pissed off about this. How could a prob as big as this not be caught?

@others as well as tacticalnuggets:

I have no idea how many people are affected by these issues, nor, I hazard, do you. Where are your statistics?

Certainly in the case of the A2 1.08 patch, I and others have had sufficiently dire results from the patch that we've reinstalled 1.07. However, yet others say that 1.08 is working perfectly for them.

Given the number of active players & assuming a majority have downloaded the various patches, the number of posts complaining would appear to represent a relatively small percentage of users (ofc, not everyone with problems would post, some would just wait patiently for a fix). There are no statistics available to any user, possibly not to BIS either, on how widespread - "big" - these problems are.

At least for A2 I suspect something buggy in the patching, whether in the 1.07 -> to 1.08 or in the previous 2 patch jobs since I installed the game. Without comparing MD5 sums from various working & buggy game files - & not just the exes, though that would be a start - it's pure speculation. However, that at least some patchings have apparently worked perfectly does point to an uncontrolled variable.

Posts by Dwarden & other BIS staff have dropped significantly compared to the previous week. I am damn sure that's because they're slaving over the keyboards right now to sort things out. And I'm certain they will, just as soon as they can. I don't think screaming at them helps in the least. Please could you cool it a little?

BR

Carl

Edited by Carl_D
Connection kept dropping while editing, duplicated 2nd message

Agree with Carl D, BIS is quite aware of the problems by now. Those with 1.55 problems just need to deal with this locally while waiting for a fix to come out.

We all get frustrated now and then. But there is no logic to yelling at the BIS folks. We need them as friends, not as whipping boys.

Surely I'm not the only one that likes this patch?

I have less LOD issues compared to 1.54.

New video options have increased fps, Vsync enabled (Nvidia CP/ Vsync "app controlled").

I've bumped other options to very high from high, seems to be getting better every time I get to play.

Surely I'm not the only one that likes this patch?

I have less LOD issues compared to 1.54.

New video options have increased fps, Vsync enabled (Nvidia CP/ Vsync "app controlled").

I've bumped other options to very high from high, seems to be getting better every time I get to play.

I suspect most of the people who like the patches are too busy playing :)

It's interesting to compare your experience with the disparate problems others have had. And I mean disparate; not everyone with problems seems to have exactly the same pattern of issues. IMHO that points to something getting corrupted,

Cheers

Carl

Only the GREAt Computer GURU in the sky knows how many different computers and configureations of these computers are out there running or trying torun ArmA 2. The 1.55 patch + the BAF Hot fix and as far as I know (yea my disclaimer for tomorrow) it works great for me.

But in all fairness I have friends who have NOT been so luck. It would seem that the patching what ever combo you use can screw with things. In example my friend has a DVD of ArmA 2 and a Steam of Operation Arrowhead. He's tried numerous combinations, uninstalled the game several times and reinstalled it. Heck he has even formated his drive and reinstalled windows to get it to work. But OA still does not work for him.

So far he can play ArmA 2 (Chenarus) jsut fine. But NOT Operation Arrowhead. Go figure.

Given the number of active players & assuming a majority have downloaded the various patches, the number of posts complaining would appear to represent a relatively small percentage of users (ofc, not everyone with problems would post, some would just wait patiently for a fix). There are no statistics available to any user, possibly not to BIS either, on how widespread - "big" - these problems are.

Umm...so based on your own last sentence, how could you possibly state "...appear to represent a relatively small percentage of users..." in your first sentence?

You have absolutely no empirical data to make such a statement. Your post smacks of typical forum arrogance and ignorance.

While there may be some players that can play the game without a graphics issue given a specific hardware configuration, what affects all players are when common scripting commands are broken - such as doFire - and that is a fact, jack.

Patch 1.55 is an issue and its very well seen. This game has its system requirements post on its box or what not, so no GURU or any other bs should be toped up with MAJORITY got it working. All who have the system requirements should be able to play ArmA OA as for what it is. Iv went back to patch 1.54 and its the first time that iv went back on an patch on the series all the way from OFP! 1.55 realy has issues with its LOD's and other issues as well. BI went 10 steps back on this new patch for OA. Lets just hope they move up 20 steps to get the LOD's issue and others fixed.

Patch 1.55 is an issue and its very well seen. This game has its system requirements post on its box or what not, so no GURU or any other bs should be toped up with MAJORITY got it working. All who have the system requirements should be able to play ArmA OA as for what it is. Iv went back to patch 1.54 and its the first time that iv went back on an patch on the series all the way from OFP! 1.55 realy has issues with its LOD's and other issues as well. BI went 10 steps back on this new patch for OA. Lets just hope they move up 20 steps to get the LOD's issue and others fixed.

I can't disagree with you ....... something should (and Ihope will) be done about it.

Umm...so based on your own last sentence, how could you possibly state "...appear to represent a relatively small percentage of users..." in your first sentence?

You have absolutely no empirical data to make such a statement. Your post smacks of typical forum arrogance and ignorance.

And taking part of a sentence out of context to attribute to someone something they did notassert smacks of trolling.

The rest of the sentence and indeed the whole of the paragraph emphasises that there is no empirical evidence on how widespread are the problems, e.g.:

There are no statistics available to any user, possibly not to BIS either

That the set "user" includes me I would have thought blindingly obvious.

While there may be some players that can play the game without a graphics issue given a specific hardware configuration, what affects all players are when common scripting commands are broken - such as doFire - and that is a fact, jack.

I was not referring to any specific bug, and the doFire bug is clearly a cock-up of some description. It is consistent.

However, it isn't doesn't seem only to be graphics problems - there are quite variable problems in A2 1.08 with some people being unable to load some missions or campaigns without error messages, CTDs, or computer lock-ups. Others say it works fine for them.

In the case of Bardosy's A2 campaigns I've just learnt that "something changed in the 1.08 bin.pbo" that prevented his campaigns from loading. He has already modified his campaigns to load correctly on 1.08. Not a graphics/hardware issue at all but something to do the description.ext file.

I intentionally didn't refer to any specific bug or set of bugs. The point of the post wasn't to deny there are problems - quite the reverse - but to point out that screaming at BIS doesn't help them, or other users with problems, one iota.

Feel free to flame away; I shall not be responding to any of your posts. Welcome to my kill-file.

*plonk*

Carl

And taking part of a sentence out of context to attribute to someone something they did notassert smacks of trolling.

The rest of the sentence and indeed the whole of the paragraph emphasises that there is no empirical evidence on how widespread are the problems, e.g.:

That the set "user" includes me I would have thought blindingly obvious.

I was not referring to any specific bug, and the doFire bug is clearly a cock-up of some description. It is consistent.

However, it isn't doesn't seem only to be graphics problems - there are quite variable problems in A2 1.08 with some people being unable to load some missions or campaigns without error messages, CTDs, or computer lock-ups. Others say it works fine for them.

In the case of Bardosy's A2 campaigns I've just learnt that "something changed in the 1.08 bin.pbo" that prevented his campaigns from loading. He has already modified his campaigns to load correctly on 1.08. Not a graphics/hardware issue at all but something to do the description.ext file.

I intentionally didn't refer to any specific bug or set of bugs. The point of the post wasn't to deny there are problems - quite the reverse - but to point out that screaming at BIS doesn't help them, or other users with problems, one iota.

Feel free to flame away; I shall not be responding to any of your posts. Welcome to my kill-file.

*plonk*

Carl

I think your missing the point of what everyone is saying.

It does not matter the statistics.

It does not matter the frequency.

It does not matter the variety.

1.55 is BROKEN. That is the problem. People who paid money for this game; the people who have to download this required patch for MP, are getting extremely frustrated because we cant really play the game anymore unless we revert back. The problem is most people already have 1.55 now. A new fix needs to come out within a week. And that is not because I'm pushy, its because I cant play the game without it.

Nothing was taken out of context. You wrote what you wrote, and the logic involved is invalid. If your statement were an Excel formula, your result would yield #VALUE! because your post(s) thus far have none.

Value that is.

:yay:

Agree with Carl D, BIS is quite aware of the problems by now. Those with 1.55 problems just need to deal with this locally while waiting for a fix to come out.

We all get frustrated now and then. But there is no logic to yelling at the BIS folks. We need them as friends, not as whipping boys.

What does this mean, 'deal with it locally ".... ?

It would be nice if a developer from BIS would make a statement here.

Until this is fixed I will just play something else. The game ArmA2>OA has become unplayable for me and many of my friends. Thanks BIS.

I play OFP / ArmA etc since 2004 but maybe it is finally time to drop this game. Tired of all this patch business and Beta and other things ....

BTW> I also find it extremely amusing to suggest to patch back to 1.54 when many servers are already patched to 1.55.

Edited by baerchen

i totaly agree with baerchen they ruined the game for me now and everytime iam flying a damn chopper the game freez and my pc go bannanas with every patch they made they r making it worse and i have damn steam version so everytime i have 2 reinstall the damn game it patches all by self back 2 this damn patch 1.55 so plsss release a goddamn patch to fix this problem coz we also paid lots of money to buy this game, hope a pacth will fix this problem soon coz iam dying to play it

Well, BIS certainly knows sales figures. They will have an idea of how many copies of the game have been sold. That may even be public knowledge, haven't checked.

THere are currently 72146 registered members of this forum. That represents a percentage of the owners of the games sold that belong to the forum, roughly. Of those, only a small percent are still active. That number doesn't even matter really, just the number of people who respond to a poll vs. total sales.

Run a poll on here to determine who had issues and who didn't have issues. Figure out what percent of total users took the poll, multiply that by the ratio of poll participants to total sales and you get the likely number (rough ballpark figure) that had trouble with the patch overall.

If anyone is adept at doing that stuff, would be interesting to know. I suspect a lot higher than BIS wants to let on.

Edited by Slyder73

After installing 1.55 patch i cannot buy units in warfare (CTI) mode - am i the only one? The menu is just blank. I can buy weapons and everything else is working as it should, but i can't buy any units and 75666 beta isn't resolving. Same happens when i start vanilla arma 2 1.08. In 1.54 OA and 1.07 A2 all works fine.

Had a 4h play yesterday, and it work pretty good. no freezes, lod seems much better for me now. the only thing i noticed is the longer startup time when joining servers and loading maps...

better to Bohemia Interective to let out the following patch what game ratings haven't fallen completely