Sign in to follow this  
darthmuller_cro

Which anti-aliasing mode to use on AMD 5000-6000 series?

Im interest for your experience... which aa mode you using, game default or

ati ccc ones? Which gives you best preformance and game best look?

I have AA on Low (in CCC i have it set to "application managed"), and i use 200% 3D resolution to make it look better (especialy the trees looks much better).

But i didn't really tried to find the "one and only best setting", i was fidling with the AA settings only a little and found that the 200% res with low or no AA looks better (IMHO) than 100% with any other AA settings,

and as an added bonus the 200%+lowAA doesn't seem to cost any more FPS than 100%+HighAA (at least on my system).

But i admit, all of my "findings" can be also only subjective placebo feeling.

Anyway, nothing i could do would give me any magic FPS boost (at least not with the HW i have), so i consider it just a waste of time to fiddle with the settings any more.

HD5870 (Catalyst 10.10)

I use Normal AA in game

Res 1920x1200 3d=100%

I use "ATI Tray Tools" to turn off vertical sync as I couldn't find a way to do that in CCC

AA is Application Controlled / Box filter.

HD5870 (Catalyst 10.10)

I use Normal AA in game

Res 1920x1200 3d=100%

I use "ATI Tray Tools" to turn off vertical sync as I couldn't find a way to do that in CCC

AA is Application Controlled / Box filter.

The latest Beta patch has included vsync

By disabling it in game I got up to 165 FPS on editor without any script obstruction

5133p39, 150 3d was my settup on my old monitor (4:3) 1280x1024 and and i had best preformance and game best look, even with post process effects

on very high with no blurry at all. Now i have new monitor 1920x1080 and putting 3d to higher then 100% kills preformace badly. Trying ccc AA modes

gives me better image quality and fps drop usually...

---------- Post added at 10:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:32 PM ----------

Yeah, I did notice that in new Beta but of course you can't play online with that as its v1.55

NOTE: The official v1.55 patch has been released now so now we can all start using it :yay:

http://www.arma2.com/index.php?option=com_rokdownloads&view=file&Itemid=20&id=423%3Aarma2oapatch150to155〈=en

Nice!

5133p39, 150 3d was my settup on my old monitor (4:3) 1280x1024 and and i had best preformance and game best look, even with post process effects

on very high with no blurry at all. Now i have new monitor 1920x1080 and putting 3d to higher then 100% kills preformace badly. Trying ccc AA modes

gives me better image quality and fps drop usually...

Well, 150% of 1280x1024 is still less than 100% of 1920x1080, so i am not surprised - in your case it's understandable you'll get better performance with AA instead of using higher 3D resolution.

I run on an old LCD with native 1280x1024, and i usualy use 1280x720 as display resolution (as i record every game session in case there would be something worth uploading to YouTube) which makes 2560x1440 with 200% 3D resolution - which is still playable (except in Chernogorsk town where my FPS drops to 27, which is strange considering i have minimum of 60 anywhere else on the island, but that town makes my computer cry for some reason).

Anyway, make sure your AA-Mode in CCC is set to "Multi-sample AA" (lowest performance impact) or "Adaptive Multi-sample AA" (still relatively low performance hit), the "Super-sample AA" looks better, but it is also more resource hungry than the previous two.

Try the highest in game AA settings with "Multi-sample AA", and then with "Super-sample AA", and let us know what difference in FPS it makes.

I am curious myself, so i am going to try it myself (will post the results ASAP).

Dont bother with ccc it doesnt work at all! Lower preformance i talked about

was from some bug or incompability, i get red lines on screen and edges in game are same with all AA modes. It was nice to try but it failed :thumb:

I did little testing and here are the results.

Tested somewhere in a thick Chernarus forrest (a carefuly chosen view which i found to be most performance hungry).

All in-game video settings (except those listed) are set to Very High, PP disabled, Terrain and Objects on Normal.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

All CCC settings set to provide highest image quality

- Anti-Aliasing: 16x, Wide-tent (samples: 32x)

- Anisotropic Filtering: 16x

- Catalyst A.I.: Disabled

- Mipmap Detail Level: High Quality

- Anti-Aliasing Mode: Super-sample AA

ArmA2 video settings:

- 3D resolution: 2560x2048

- Antialiasing: High

- Resulting FPS: 13

ArmA2 video settings:

- Antialiasing: Disabled

- Resulting FPS: 19

ArmA2 video settings:

- 3D resolution: 1280x1024

- Antialiasing: High

- Resulting FPS: 28

ArmA2 video settings:

- 3D resolution: 1280x1024

- Resulting FPS: 36

CCC settings set to sacrifice quality for better performance

- Anti-Aliasing: Use application settings

- Anisotropic Filtering: Use application settings

- Catalyst A.I.: Advanced

- Mipmap Detail Level: Performance

- Anti-Aliasing Mode: Multi-sample AA

ArmA2 video settings:

- Antialiasing: Normal (for some reason, i got 0.5 FPS when i set it to High)

- Resulting FPS: 30

ArmA2 video settings:

- Antialiasing: Low

- Resulting FPS: 26 (less than with AA on Normal!)

ArmA2 video settings:

- Resulting FPS: 34

The results are little confusing so it doesn't seem to be very useful, but since i already did it, i decided to share it.

- The difference between Quality and Performance settings in the CCC doesn't seem to be worth the low FPS (well, those insane quality settings in combination with all on Very High it makes the game totaly unplayable anyway).

- For me the interesting find is that the "Normal" AA gives me slightly better performance than "Low" AA.

- For those with small native resolution (like 1280x1024) i would recommend trying 200% or at least 150% 3D resolution, as it provides overall better image quality than any in-game AA settings.

---------- Post added at 00:48 ---------- Previous post was at 00:46 ----------

Dont bother with ccc it doesnt work at all! Lower preformance i talked about

was from some bug or incompability, i get red lines on screen and edges in game are same with all AA modes. It was nice to try but it failed :thumb:

I get red lines on the left and top side of screen, when i use native 3D resolution in combination with AA set to "High".

That was nice look in whole situation :) ... I have red lines only if i use different modes thru smoothvision no matter what aa setup i use in game. AAA works with some preformance loss and supersample seems doesnt work.

Tested withAti 10.10 and 10.10e beta driver.

use EDGE Detect + MLAA filtering enabled

4x or more samples

Red lines again with this settup but preformance are fine... MLAA is kinda blurry

so for me is better to use only edge dettect, but those red lines are creepy annoying, does anybody knows how to get rid of that?

MLAA works like special post processing effect but done with DirectCompute etc.

that's why it can be used at any game even if it prevented usage of AA before