Sign in to follow this  
richard

Trolleybus

RnM presents you two trolleybuses under development. Me and Martin are working on this project for some time now and we want opinions.

First one is Å koda 14tr by Martin:

2ut18uu.png

2j61o49.jpg

The second is Å koda 9tr by Richard:

dw44mc.jpg

15x767q.jpg

More screens on 9tr:

http://i53.tinypic.com/vr4gie.jpg - inside

http://i53.tinypic.com/iqei6r.jpg - trolleybus without vandalism is just not a trolleybus

http://i52.tinypic.com/2iu8ihf.jpg - front

Now if it happens you don't know what a trolleybus, Martin can explain it to you:

A trolleybus (also known as trolly), "Trolejbus/Troleibus/ТроллейбуÑ" in Eastern European countries is an electrically powered bus which

gets electricity using two "sticks" (or 'mustache' in Lithuanian) mounted on the roof from two overhead wires which are suspended over the road by poles.

The trolleybus was invented in 1882 by Dr. Ernst Werner von Siemens who ran the first demonstration trolleybus system called

"Elektromote" in a Berlin suburb. Little progress was made with the trolleybus since then until a man called Lombard Gérin opened

an experimental trolleybus line at the Paris Exhibition in the year 1900 after 4 years of testing. The first operational trolleybus that

carried passengers was opened on July the 10th 1901 in Bielathal, Germany. Since then other cities in Europe like Leeds and London

in the United Kingdom began operating trolleybuses. Although trolleybuses are not common in many Western European countries

they are very popular in the Eastern Bloc countries and Chine where they are one of the most important forms of public transport.

Trolleybuses have many advantages over normal diesel powered buses, one of the main advantages is that they are eco friendly and

produce no smoke or CO2 providing that the power plant generating the electricity is eco friendly like wind turbines. Trolleybuses are

also very quiet and more efficient then diesel buses in hilly terrain and never run out of fuel.

Most trolleybuses used in the Eastern Bloc are manufactured by Škoda Plzeň in the Czech Republic which has been producing

trolleybuses since the early 1930's. Some of the most well known and most widely used models include the Tr9, 14Tr, 15Tr and 22Tr

which are still in service today.

Fits well in the ArmA world, for sure.

And more civilian stuff is always welcome!

My only nitpick would be only: too much dirt ;) Yes, I know buses can get that dirty, but if this is supposed to drive around cities it could get dirty like this only on a winter-map :)

Plus-> I suppose you won't modify any maps to include all of those overhead cables?

http://railforthevalley.files.wordpress.com/2010/05/ivanovo23030.jpg

Maybe go for a regular bus instead to stay on the realism-side then ;)

Plus-> I suppose you won't modify any maps to include all of those overhead cables?

Of course, Taviana :tongue:

Oh, just came to my mind;

Any chance for a Skoda RTO?

That type wasnt in OFP Resistance ?

btw or what about to make the most used bus in the world -

Karosa LC 735

20091125_p2_lc735_krajina.jpg

sry for requesting :p

That type wasnt in OFP Resistance ?

No, not this one. The one in OFPr was roughly based on SM-11 model.

Those blueprints look good, may make one.

If this would ever happen, would be very nice. Still remember travelling by these as a kid.

Edited by topas

hah, coolness! I remember 14Tr driving around my city.. good old days. I loved the noise it made, today's trolleys are way too much silent.

Good luck with the project!

Niiice. Although that interior looks weird in its unfinished state. Could you do a version with mesh across the windows and a locked cage bit as a prison bus? mmmm

Having lived in Seattle for a while I'd love to see some nice electric buses, especially if you can map out the overhead wires and stuff and have the arms track... :p

Could you do a version with mesh across the windows and a locked cage bit as a prison bus?

Not really, because it's not a bus, it needs electric wires above to be able to run.

Niiice. Although that interior looks weird in its unfinished state. Could you do a version with mesh across the windows and a locked cage bit as a prison bus? mmmm

Why would inmates travel around a city? :biggrin:

And there is a prison bus with this in Sigma pack for Arma 2!

Martin, Thorne, good job!

I wait for the next udpate of this and Tavianna!

Hello,

Here is an update on how we are doing with this project. I only have time to post a few pictures today but later when we make more progress I will post some more.

This is Thorns 9Tr WIP:

tbus.th.jpg

This is my 14Tr WIP (I didn't make a smdi texture for the doors yet so they dont have that reflection, don't mid that)

trb1.th.jpg

trb2.th.jpg

Please leave your comments :smile:

Why would inmates travel around a city? :biggrin:

I just remembered from the above picture what a trolleybus is! we don't have these so much in the uk. nice work above !

those windows could use some dirt ' date=' but otherwise, awesome![/quote']

Which model do you mean, mine or Thorns?

I just remembered from the above picture what a trolleybus is! we don't have these so much in the uk. nice work above !

Yeah they shut them all down :sad: But I can't imagine a trolleybus in Londons rush hour, its bad enough with buses. :confused_o:

Looking very promissing!

Now that the bus-palette is expanding one would need a place to store and maintain them :)

This one has unfortunately been demolished and made room for apartment housing... :(

Oh, you posted them already, guess I'm too late :P

P.S. Call me Richard and also, the last name ends with E, so it's Thorne

Looking very promissing!

Now that the bus-palette is expanding one would need a place to store and maintain them :)

This one has unfortunately been demolished and made room for apartment housing... :(

I was planing this on Taviana as the Trolleybus system will be used in 3 large cities.

has unfortunately been demolished

Excellent, so I will resurrect it in ArmA 2, I don't know exactly how everything looks but I will do my best to re-create this fine building. :smile: Thanks for the link

Excellent, so I will resurrect it in ArmA 2

lol, you're crazy :bounce3:

btw; check PM

Edited by topas

Hi, everything (unless the glass things...) look better without the .smdi texture; even improve the performance. Let's C ya