Sign in to follow this  
Hud Dorph

Nvidia GTX580 benchmark ArmaII

For me I'm not really looking for better FPS since my FPS in OA is great with the 480, but for better temps. Textures in OA will turn to blur and trees will go to blobs if temps go past 55C ingame. Regular temps are around 58C ingame... :(

Hopefully the 580 will stop these blurry textures from happening.

So would I, I mean it runs fine, its just the game. When temps go past 55C, most of the time, textures seem to just go to shit. :(

I think the only way to fix this is lower temps.

Nope, the 6970 isn't going to beat the 580, that's pretty much confirmed at this point and the 6990 is a dual GPU card so there is no comparison there.

Even if you were going to make that comparison, the single GPU 480 pissed all over the dual GPU 5970 in many tests.

Oh and JFYI, the 6970 (This seems to be hotly contended) and 6990 are both delayed and the 580 is available now (I just got my shipping confirmation).

Nvidia does have a dual card in the pipes IIRC, so that would be a fair comparison. Neither dual GPU card is likely to be available before Q1 2011 so it's a moot point.

Could you point to any benchmark?? haven't seen any of the 6970 yet...

Could you point to any benchmark?? haven't seen any of the 6970 yet...

There is plenty of leaked stuff and then there are the specs.

It will likely be just slightly slower than the 580 but it will run hot and with a much higher tdp than previous AMD cards.

It's not going to be a 580 killer.

@ Enad

Your temps have nothing to do with your texture problems, The last few gens of Nvidia are rated to ~100c.

Edited by BangTail

There is plenty of leaked stuff and then there are the specs.

It will likely be just slightly slower than the 580 but it will run hot and with a much higher tdp than previous AMD cards.

It's not going to be a 580 killer.

@ Enad

Your temps have nothing to do with your texture problems, The last few gens of Nvidia are rated to ~100c.

Well, I rather wait until it is out to draw any conclusions (at least wait until I see some reliable benchmarks).

Well, I rather wait until it is out to draw any conclusions (at least wait until I see some reliable benchmarks).

Sure, you can do that, but I can promise you it's no 580 killer ;)

Sure, you can do that, but I can promise you it's no 580 killer ;)

Might kill it in perf/price ratio... who knows

lol few hundred to enjoy graphics at acceptable framerates. no thanks. rather buy a console.

lol few hundred to enjoy graphics at acceptable framerates. no thanks. rather buy a console.

Have fun trying to play ArmA2 on that console...

yeah i'd get one... if it wasn't $600. hopefully the HD6970 is in the $400 range like the 5870 was.

Edited by UncleKeith

yeah i'd get one... if it wasn't $600. hopefully the HD6970 is in the $400 range like the 5870 was.

I've seen them as low as $510.00 and they'll likely come down when the 6970 appears.

Although that's not guaranteed with Nvidia's screwy pricing :rolleyes:

Although that's not guaranteed with Nvidia's screwy pricing :rolleyes:

Amen

I still have nightmares from buying 2 8800GTX at that price (each), 4 yrs back.

Their price never seems to change for newest card.

I'm glad to see my GTX285 handles this game, else I'd go get that GTX580.

Amen

I still have nightmares from buying 2 8800GTX at that price (each), 4 yrs back.

Their price never seems to change for newest card.

I'm glad to see my GTX285 handles this game, else I'd go get that GTX580.

Tru dat bro.

You always pay a ridiculous premium for the latest and greatest and just talk to Muggins here if you want to know all about that ;)

Cheers :D

Edited by BangTail

So would I, I mean it runs fine, its just the game. When temps go past 55C, most of the time, textures seem to just go to shit. :(

I think the only way to fix this is lower temps.

Or try to RMA it, if you think its the card problem and not software problem.

Or try to RMA it, if you think its the card problem and not software problem.

It's not a card problem, it's the game, I've had it happen on all my past graphics cards aswell. OA and ArmA 2 textures love to just switch to the lowest LOD's and stay that way for awhile, I was just speculating it was a heat issue, but I really have no idea. Whatever, it doesnt happen too often, I can deal with it...Now If only I could get OA to run...thanks to the new 1.55 Patch..:(

It's not a card problem, it's the game, I've had it happen on all my past graphics cards aswell. OA and ArmA 2 textures love to just switch to the lowest LOD's and stay that way for awhile, I was just speculating it was a heat issue, but I really have no idea. Whatever, it doesnt happen too often, I can deal with it...Now If only I could get OA to run...thanks to the new 1.55 Patch..:(

Me and a few others have had this issue as well Enad, though I've hardly seen much lengthly discussion on this issue. At first I thought it was something to do with Nvidia's little feature in it's recent drivers that would switch your card to 2d mode if it thought it was overheater and WOULD STAY THAT WAY until you restarted the pc, but I disabled that and still get the same issue at times. I think it's memory related in some way in conjunction with the game.

Edit: Also I may take advantage of my EVGA step up to grab me a gtx580 before my 90 days is up lol. I figure why not, I'll be set for another 2 or 4 years.

Did you see much improvment over the 480s Bangtail?

Havent really tested in games yet.

I've got in-laws here until tomorrow but I'll let you know ;)

Havent really tested in games yet.

I've got in-laws here until tomorrow but I'll let you know ;)

Yeah I'll be glad to hear that from someone who has it first hand, not some benchmark.

I'll probably end up getting a 580 anyways as a friend of mine wants to buy my 480 for $400, so might as well spend $120 and get the Black Ops Edition. :D

You know that the Black Ops edition DOESN'T have the game in it right?