Sign in to follow this  
shezan74

maps under construction:

hi all im working on a new island

Sierra Leone is a 10 x 10 km map it focuses on the areas of operation Barras, from were the west side boys captured some members of the UK forces. The villages will be as good as the game allows for accuracy.

Features:

Terrain types

Dry dusty red soil

Dense Jungle

High grass

Swamps

Low palm fields

Few main roads

Few small villages

Uk base to work from

Is there any round houses addons out or up for use to make it feel more african as there part of the village that got attacked and would look great i am making some but thought why invent the wheel again.

Idid see some in the arma1 african map pictures did it ever come to fruit bushwars

@shezan finnaly got WT working and may i say thanks for what you have made i have put more objects down in a couple of hours than the time it took to do sangin 7-8 months now is there any plans to have min max size added for trees and bushes say 50 -125 randomne's

Also have a winter sangin thank's to bushlurker for the texture ill drop them in a week or 2

Can't wait for these maps Smokedog. Sangin is an absolute masterpiece, so I assume Sierra Leone and winter Sangin will be too.

Hi ice breaker and thanks mate any intel you have ill be glad to take i have the exact area but am lackin on the actual village lay outs and building type i saw there were 2 round houses in the village and would like to make some if i can

@tpw thanks buddy I hope so too it will be my xmas prez to you all as a thank you to all who have helped and guided my way to learning the Map making nightmare that is arma2

Is there an addon maker out there that would like to join us to make some enemy to fit these new islands IRA Taliban and west side boys

1 Could do with some help for sounds for sangin walking on snow sound and help to set it in cfg

2 Any ILS information to set an airstrip in Sierra

3 Winter grass and trees if there is any

Also we got the belfast Ardoyne area a small pvp map that me and Sleepingbag from 3 PARA are working on ill post when we have something worth showing.

Edited by SmokeDog3PARA

Hier a little overview from the map i am working on with an clan mate:)

A Province somewhere between Afghanistan and Pakistan

20.48 km x 20.48 km

i hope the first beta is ready before Christmas:bounce3:

gyuooa3o.jpg

Edited by Fogu

1 Could do with some help for sounds for sangin walking on snow sound and help to set it in cfg

PM Bushlurker, he's got a nice variety of snow sounds we used for CWR2 Nogova and CWR2 Winter Kolgujew.

Hello everyone,

after my litte starting problems I am now working on my project for about 2-3 weeks.

I wanted to get into a deep desert valley with an oasis and some older colonial structures.

Now there I am a littlebit confused, on the one side I think it looks pretty nice for an really desert atmosphere but on the other side I think it would be unplayable when playing on times the Sun ist standing high.

I tested a littlebit with the satmask but if I make it darker it doesnt look like a desert to me, and other colours going to be orange and so on..

Is there another way to say how the sun fall down to the valley?

Here are 2 pictures of the gloomy shining, I got the bloom on low, so I dont want know how it is with high ^^

I have set the time to 1200 midday and august.

http://i1142.photobucket.com/albums/n611/Wiz15/Baghlar/Test48.jpg

http://i1142.photobucket.com/albums/n611/Wiz15/Baghlar/Test49.jpg

try a bit of desaturate in color and gain some intensity to hold a balance

besides you can set an overlay with tone filter to adjust those areas where color looks fine...

cheerio!

I don't know if there's a better way, but you have a very much natural look now and you can notice how many light is spreading all over the lanscape, even with some clouds...

You also might notice that sat color affects some clutter and trees colors as well...

BAHA Conflict

20480 x 20480

dual islands

i cant seem to load it in my actual game it said i created the PBO file and i put it into a directory called @BAHA but it wont load in arrowhead for some reason.

I don't know if there's a better way, but you have a very much natural look now and you can notice how many light is spreading all over the lanscape, even with some clouds...

You also might notice that sat color affects some clutter and trees colors as well...

Yes, looks really natural now, also the clutter and trees, its getting an nice face :) thanks.

At the moment I am setting up more houses for the Oasis settlement, and in one ingame test I get one confusing Error in my Rpt:

Warning: Unaccessible ladder point for AI (already used for actionbegin4) in ca\structures_e\housek\house_k_6_dam_ep1.p3d

Warning: Unaccessible ladder point for AI (already used for actionbegin5) in ca\structures_e\housek\house_k_6_dam_ep1.p3d

Warning: Unaccessible ladder point for AI (already used for actionend4) in ca\structures_e\housek\house_k_6_dam_ep1.p3d

Warning: Unaccessible ladder point for AI (already used for actionend5) in ca\structures_e\housek\house_k_6_dam_ep1.p3d

All of these terrains look fantastic, its really good to see people who are inspired, like myself, to create new worlds in this virtual one we all live in!

I would like to see some real world AO's that are in use by ISAF pop up on the forums occasionally, HRV (Helmand River Valley). Would really like to see a 5km Geo-specific Terrain for dismounted and helicopter ops.

I will be slowly creating one along with my 1000 other tasks, it will be for VBS2 at first but I will look to convert it over to ArmA 2 and ArmA 3 as and when 2.0 comes out, this is so I will have native access to the A2 Objects.

I look forward to hopping back into the forums as ive been AFK for almost a year!

Regards,

OChristie

Looking good! But dont forget to smooth the roads and try and make it geo-specific. So, for example, if a compound with a door exists then build it! Looking forward to seeing more!

ATM this is a very WIP, but my pal Minimilico and I enjoy to make beautiful maps and this shouldn't be an exception... today I made some round stones to see how they would fit over a riverbed but this is a relatively slow process, you know, anyways you should expect to visit what you see in aerial photos...

smooth roads... erm what is that? nah! I just advance 1 km per day... avoiding brain damage ... this terrain has a 2.5 meters grid... really nasty ... hahahaha

Hows the performance on such grid? :o

I'm thinking of increasing the grid in my existing projects...

@Ice: Tiny grids are not so troublesome but base texture layers are FPS killer, so don't set them too low... keep at least a 4x ratio between terrain grid and base texture layers... cheers!!!!

As some of you may already notice in the September 1939 tread, I'm working currently on a map for the mod. The main source for me is a Polish historical map from 1937 from which I acquired heightmap and something along the lines of 'historical land cover'. I'm making extensive use of GIS software (mainly Quantum GIS) as I find it faster, easier and more flexible in some respects to use it, especially with big raster files than e.g. GIMP. And I'm trying to emulate some of the marvelous possibilities of TerraSim VBS2 maps creation software (can be seen here) with freeware GIS software and software created by the community (World Tools, Road painter). The vegetation that can be seen on the provided video was 99.9% generated with World Tools (there is some room for improvements there though).

The satellite texture is being created by Topas. We've considered using high-resolution orthophotos form the Polish geoportal or sat pictures from Google or some other mapping service but decided to create the custom texture due to copyright restrictions. And I must say that thank's to Topas' skill it was a very good choice.

I wonder what do you guys, who have experience with creating maps for Arma and your own workflows for this think about such an approach.

Gnat;2125975']Great work it is lecholas and topas !

Thanks.

Gnat;2125975']w o r k ... f l o w ? Whats that?! lol

You surely mean that getting in any form of contact with Visitor 3 can't possibly be described as 'work' but only as 'pure pleasure' or 'relax', right? :j:

Yeh well, if Visitor3 wasn't full of problems and lacked many basic (expected) features ..... I'm sure it wouldn't feel like soooooooo much hard work.

Project workflow would then become somewhat natural .........

Why not circumvent V3 and go for third party and community tools?

Well, I'm all ears. Which tools do you mean? Are there any real alternatives to circumvent V3? In my experience there are some great community made tools that can replace or extend some of uncomfortable/ineffective V3' funcionalities but there is no one tool to combine their outputs apart from V3. I'd be more than happy to be proven wrong.

Well maybe not yet - however without the vision and people trying to tackle it, its unlikely to happen.

While I am hardly an expert, my take is:

a) Use 3rd party software for the terrain design

b) Use external tools to do mass object placement (World Tools)

c) Use the arma itself to populate the world with objects on the detail level (3DE/road painter/RTE)

d) Use mikero's tools and help+encourage him to develop additional meaningful tools needed close the file formats

The file formats are almost completely understood nowadays thanks to hard work of mikero, T_D, Sy and some others.

CallExtension (Arma2.NET, JayLib) provides an interfaces to import and export data.

dschulle did with Snake Man and Rom WrpTools. Some Russian(s) did WrpEdit.

To get down to using V3 only to import that data from other sources to build the final WRP is already a good step.

This can (already) be done AFAIK. To avoid V3 altogether and do the binarization process ourselves would be best in the long run.

Surely it is not an easy job, yet it takes a lot of time to make terrains - and with better tools one could save a lot of time.

Why not invest some of that time to make better tools instead/as well?

Edited by .kju [PvPscene]