Sign in to follow this  
shezan74

maps under construction:

don't think anyones done a Yemeni map yet.....

How do you plan to fill a yemen map? placing sand grains one by one with world tools? :D

Although I am having internet issues at the moment (stuck using my phone currently) I am planning on starting my first island project once I'm back online, or once I get the required files/software/remaining tutorials from the local library.

I'm planning on an island chain, a semi large mainland off to one side or a corner, and possibly a semi large island base somewhere. All on a map the size of the 31st Normandy's map. If all goes well and I manage to get started, ill probably be back in 3 years. :)

Until I get the rest of what I need I will probably just experiment with L3DT.

How do you plan to fill a yemen map? placing sand grains one by one with world tools? :D

... with world tools you can place them all at once... ;)

B

another Afghan Map....

Feyzabad in northern Afghanistan with the surrounding Mountains.

Wintermap

-Terrain done with 90m SRTM Maps from USGS

- Sat Image done..i have different maps from 20m zoom to 1km (see whats best in look & performence)

now i am in Visitor and load all the stuff....my first Map with Visitor (Arma)

cool cool..looking forward to the Feyzabad map! and yeah i think the yemen map would be cool! but one thing i forgot to say was for which ever area i make i was hoping to have active us military forces present in the area and activily hunting taliban!

but yeah ill look into the Yemem area you mentioned Bushlurker thx!

EDIT: or even and Iraq map as long as it fits what im looking for and has active us military present!

Dave,

oh...thank you pal! 30m Aster is perfect:yay:

..and the 90m Data looks already perfect in bulldozer...now i try to use the better Aster data.

Any tips for me with the sat image resolution? i have data you see every house and any details..and a other with lower resolution. what view distance recommend you..20m over terrain..50m, 1km?? I use Global Mapper 12 for all the Texture and GEO stuff.--what a nice tool :D

i capture the Airport in the valley and the northers small villages parts of Fayzabad...the whole city is too much.

Grüße von Darmstadt nach Hamburg! :cool:

... don't think anyones done a Yemeni map yet.....

I've had a Yemeni map in the works for about 6 months now (not touched it in a couple of months).

Originally started out with Terrain/Sat/Mask/Tex for "Little Aden 20KM" (just down the coast from Aden), binned all that and went for "Aden 20km" as the city/port has a bit more to offer.

Right now I'm up to HFZ terrain editing (L3DT), which I've imported from Global Mapper (NASA ASTER 30M DEM), Pulled what ive got so far into V3 for a quick screenie:

th_AR72_Aden20km_V3_SCRN1.jpg

I've finished the high res satmap which has been mapped to the exact UTM coords of Aden (hopefully works out in V3):

th_AR72_Aden20km_SAT_SCRN1.jpg

Zoom in of the above marked area:

th_AR72_Aden20km_SAT_SCRN2.jpg

The 20km area I'm building has few sandy areas, some beaches and outskirts of city. the city and port are busy and cramped.........I'm already dreading filling with objects.

Maybe outsource the object placing, :cool:

One day I'll get it finished (<<<< the motto of V3 mapping IMO)

Edited by Geordie
Title

[Continued....5 screenshot limit reset]

The next map is older than the above, and also still not finished (cough cough)

Khark Island 10km is an island off the coast of Iran, a bit of everything in it.

WIP Screenies:

th_AR72_Khark10km_SAT_SCRN1.jpg th_AR72_Khark10km_SAT_SCRN2.jpg th_AR72_Khark10km_V3_SCRN1.jpg th_AR72_Khark10km_V3_SCRN2.jpg

Below is an early test run in L3DT, This was before I found out how to work with DEM data, It was built using an imported PNG of the island outline. Load of fun. (and not very accurate)

th_WIPKharkIslandSAT.jpg

Khark and Aden (post above) are being made with PvP in mind, Amphibious attackers and land based defense, Trying to focus on future hot spots.

I've read all about the UK's Aden campaign and thought...'Hey modern day Aden'.

Imagine how hard I laughed when Yemen tips up the news! Looks like someone might invade that place sometime soon after all eh!

Khark island is the only 'strategic target' island with an Airport I could find in Iran, lots of oil to be 'Defended'

One day Ill get em both finished LOL

Edited by Geordie
Title

Any tips for me with the sat image resolution?

Use Universal maps downloader.

Insert the coordinates from your square from Global mapper. You can choose several map services: Google, Yahoo, Microsoft..either way street maps or stamaps...up to the level of every house. You can download the tiles and merge it with the program. TADA: you have a perfectly fitting satmap and heightmap

But you will recognize that this kind of satmap features too much detail. I advise you to use the UMD map only for placing objects i.e. as a mask for Visitor or the ingame editor.

After this, I myself would make a more simple satmap with L3DT or Photoshop.:bounce3:

I picked up making my mod again.

I'm trying to make a complete mod with everything from units to vehicles for my Entebbe airport project.

Time to finnish...ehhhh... maybe a year or so.

I hope to maybe finnish it one day :)

Later,

Allie

another Afghan Map....

Feyzabad in northern Afghanistan with the surrounding Mountains.

Wintermap

-Terrain done with 90m SRTM Maps from USGS

- Sat Image done..i have different maps from 20m zoom to 1km (see whats best in look & performence)

now i am in Visitor and load all the stuff....my first Map with Visitor (Arma)

For higher quality data for Afghan use:

http://www.gdem.aster.ersdac.or.jp/search.jsp

http://afghanistan.cr.usgs.gov/

Isola Di Capraïa :

mini_112795ui_selectisland_IsolaDiCapraia_ca.png

Administration

Pays Italie

Région Toscane

Province Livourne

Code ISTAT 049005

Code postal 57032

Préfixe tel. 0586

Culture et démographie

Population 333 hab. (2001)

Densité 18 hab./km²

Gentilé capraiesi

Saint patron San Nicola di Bari

Géographie

Coordonnées 43° 03′ 00″ Nord / 9° 51′ 00″ Est / 43.05000, 9.85000

Altitude 52 m

Superficie 19 km²

Code cadastral B685

mini_561159arma2OA_2010_08_15_22_34_50_51.jpgmini_722412arma2OA_2010_08_15_22_42_22_28.jpgmini_257471arma2OA_2010_08_15_22_44_32_55.jpgmini_795498arma2OA_2010_08_16_22_57_04_13.jpg

Objectif du projet :

L'objectif principal de ce projet qui est pour nous le premier, est tous simplement de l'amener a son terme, avec le plus de détails possible.

The main objective of this project which is for us the first one, is all simply to bring it has its term, with most details possible.

- Data sat : Google Earth

- Data topo : NASA

- Roads : based on reality - object : A2

- Vegetations : type méditerranéen - object : A2OA

- Rocks : type méditerranéen - object : A2OA

- Structures : Type mixte - object : A2/A2OA

- Ambiants : type méditerranéen - object : A2OA

- Base aéronavale artificielle flottante

- 1 Big town

- 4 small villages

On this project :

Nanucq : Création/retouche - Images source - Textures.

Gamerz : BI editing tools 2 - Visitor3 - Arma World Tools - Roads Painter tool.

Video 1

Video 2

Step : Alpha PBO.

Scuse for english/french ^^

Edited by Gamerz

Hi,

I'm working on a map based on a region north of Qom, Iran. This region is the area recently exposed by the US to be the location of a hidden/underground nuclear weapons/fuel facility.

I got the DEM from Global Mapper (ASTER 30m res).

I got the Satellite pic from MySatellite (1700 tiles stitch from Google Earth) around 10700x10700.

I used Global Mapper to "rectify" the Satellite Pic to the DEM.

I used Global Mapper to "cut out" a region 20480x20480 and scaled it by 0.5 in the X,Y dimension and 0.8 in the Z dimension. I exported this to XYZ format.

I used Global Mapper to "cut out" the same region for the Satellite Pic and exported as a raster image to BMP (10240x10240).

I used GIMP to edit the Satellite Pic to ensure that the edges of the map matched the s_satout_co.paa for a smooth transition if players go off map (this version isn't shown below)

Satellite Pic (original is 10240x10240)

tps5y1qqyvu02krj3abb_thumb.png

I used GIMP to create a layer for each of the main texture types on the map. (roads/runways, dirt tracks, sand, desert, mountain, rocky mountain, light grass, grass). I had the sat pic as the base layer and literally just painted the areas in each layer to the corresponding chosen layer colour.

Mask Pic (original is 10240x10240)

lk0tr3pe6eq86b9a7ts7_thumb.png

I took the config.bin from Takistan (used Eliteness to derapify) as the basis for my config.cpp, cfgClutter.hpp, cfgSurfaces.hpp and layers.cfg. I used textures and clutter from OA and had a few BinPBO issues, mostly resolved now though (see other threads on this).

I used the runway tutorial to successfully align the runway and ils... My plane's takeoff but don't land yet.

In Game Test Shots

44cbv90origwnvi6ne4c_thumb.png

9gtqiv94eotsik4ep7_thumb.jpg

I have found that there are some texture issues on the border of some textures, it looks like its my asphault texture... it shouldn't be there. Need to fix this next.

hvgxqezvfrejpl5fn2us_thumb.png

Things to do:

Roads: I'd like to use my road and dirt tracks masks to paint the roads... Not sure if this is possible?

Vegetation, Farms, Airport(s), location definitions, town generation, military installations, nuclear facility and well as all the miscellany!

This is my first map.

Edited by Tupolov

I used the runway tutorial to successfully align the runway and ils... My plane's takeoff but don't land yet.

lol, me ! my AI planes land successfully but they have some problems to found the good way to taking off :(

I'm using "this landat 0" in the waypoint for the aircraft... They just circle.

I defined the ilsposition, and taxiin and taxioff co-ords. Taxing for takeoff works well.

simplement de l'amener a son terme, avec le plus de détails possible.

I think that's a project goal we can all sympathise with! :D

Looking good guys! Like the painstaking mask-work Tup!

(doing your painting in restricted-palette "indexed colour" mode, or converting from RGB to minimum palette indexed colour - and back again - before export for use is a good way of making sure you only have your desired range of colours in there... otherwise painting "red" can introduce 50 different shades of red - you might not even notice, but the engine does and gets confused when it comes to reading your mask at import time... this can cause all sorts of blurry/dodgy groundtextures and confusion)...

I'm pretty sure theres a thread or two about this... worth a search...

On the ILS front - this is pretty straightforward and usually works out OK...

You've read Marksmans tut, so you know the standard procedure... there's some additional discussion in this thread, and an "enhanced" set of Marksman illustrations in this one...

Since this is technically the project boasting / mutual reassurance thread ;), feel free to start a well named new thread, or resurrect one of those appropriate older ones, if you feel you need to discuss masks or ILS's further...

Meantime... good work guys! looks like solid, well thought out, well prepared projects! looking forward to seeing them develop!

B

Bushlurker,

Just wanted to say thanks for all your very informative and useful posts. Great stuff and really looking forward to seeing LFA14!

Will alter the colour in the mask to see if it fixes it.

A bit daunted about roads. Have just got hold of Allie's tutorial.

Hi..

obviously there are many islands in the making...nice:)

so i´ll add mine too:

At the moment i´m refurbishing my Omahabeach map which i began in Arma 1. It will use many custom objects buildings etc and a new version of summervegetation which will be released very soon. so here are some impressions...

Cliffs_1.jpg

arma2oa2010-11-2322-03-24-67.jpg

arma2oa2010-11-2023-16-33-69.jpg

have fun...

Bowen Island

Currently just a 15360x15360 terrain which I am tweaking. On back burner.

Interesting, i am working on a map based on Bowen too.

Not sure there will ever be a released version as im just getting started learning about mapmaking.

This is sort of a sandbox for learning the basics of editing.

1024x10m heightmap based on ASTER data and atm a temporary sat map made in l3dt.

Still a lot of terrain editing to do, but im not going to put too much effort into making it 100% true to real life.

Would just take too much time.

ScreenShot229.jpg

That is interesting, I'm not going to ask you to stop working on it or anything as you are free to build what ever you like. But if you are willing we can perhaps work together on one project. Feel free to pm me about it. ;)

That is interesting, I'm not going to ask you to stop working on it or anything as you are free to build what ever you like. But if you are willing we can perhaps work together on one project. Feel free to pm me about it. ;)

Im not realy sure how useful i would be on such a project, i am just in the begining of learning about these things.

Maybe later if i feel i am starting to know wth i am doing... ;)