Sign in to follow this  
Fox '09

CIA SOG/SAD units

How did you know I was going to do a nanernade?

Decided to start from scratch on every base model since I tweaked my workflow to produce stuff more efficiently and it also allows me to not get bored as quickly :p. Nothing is currently scaled right so the proportions may be off. Currently 2k polys, probably could lose a lot from deleting hidden faces and optimizing. Still need to do the chest rig, custom leg holster mount, hood, shemagh, bundled rope, this helmet, and maybe a beanie, other than that the base models are pretty much done. Going to hopefully do all those tomorrow, then UV most if not everything so they are ready to sculpt when I return from the holiday next week. This is just the loadout for one guy, but I am going to expand the collection once he is done so expect more pouches and bags later.

Left to right: Molle hydration bag(handle is wip), SAW pouch or Utility pouch, Double M4 tucked cover, Double M4 covered, AN/PRC-148 Pouch, Early Safariland 6004 base, TCFM 02 knife in sheath, Molle mounted dump pouch, Triple M4/Pistol Pouch (bungees are done just not shown).

Expect a test fitting soonish once the other bases are done.

mj1zz7.jpg

Update: Current hydration pack. Was going to model out the molle straps, but no point. Adding some straps and buckles on either side so I can attach things like the AK or rope or boltcutters etc.

w86gxx.jpg

Done until after the holiday. Mask is going to be redone just using my old one to show the look I want and I realize the beanie is clipping, too tired to fix it, plus the headset will cover the ears just not sure which one to do.

345hbag.jpg

Only a couple more base models to go and then its on to uv's and sculpting/textures.

Edited by drmidnight

wow this is great. Good job drmidnight. :D

Finally back from vacation so expect some more updates in the next couple days.

word , same here

we'll have those textured soon , and from there on it's easy sailing :)

Crappy max renders :p

Little to no smoothing is applied so things are reeeeaaally blocky and plenty of errors. Redid the mask, really wish I could alter the head without the major hiccups I assume would come with such a task so the ears aren't sticking out.

Radio and magdump are the only things optimized and ready for zbrush everything else I haven't touched and I am still trying to scale them right.

Current vert count of everything including the soldier base and head is sub 9k so I have plenty of room to add stuff to, not sure about the engines limits, but I am aiming for 15-18k once I get all the details done and bump these square bases up after I do the high poly's and retopologize the lowers.

Still to do:

• Buckles for vest
  • Hydration tube
  • Radio cords/Headset and/or handset
  • Jacket zippers
  • Various Magazines
  • Finish Holster and thigh mount.
  • Glasses/Goggles

Colors are just for fun.

Please point out stuff and make suggestions, keeping in mind what I said above, everything is heavily wip and not even remotely close to reflecting what it will look like when it is done.

8w0e2b.jpg

sfigdw.jpg

Edited by drmidnight

One word mate, Awesome !!!.

Excellent level of detail mate, I really appreciate your attention to detail. As for a suggestion, i have absolutely no modeling/texture knowledge but am wondering if you are going to implement or are thinking of implementing a changeable headgear system whilst in game? similar to what the AAW units have (being able to cycle through different helmets/beanies ect on the fly during a mission), I'm only curios and have know idea how much work that takes so I will understand if you guys aren't going to implement it.

Looking fantastic mate, oh and take you're time there's no rush.

One word mate, Awesome !!!.

Excellent level of detail mate, I really appreciate your attention to detail. As for a suggestion, i have absolutely no modeling/texture knowledge but am wondering if you are going to implement or are thinking of implementing a changeable headgear system whilst in game? similar to what the AAW units have (being able to cycle through different helmets/beanies ect on the fly during a mission), I'm only curios and have know idea how much work that takes so I will understand if you guys aren't going to implement it.

Looking fantastic mate, oh and take you're time there's no rush.

Thanks, expect even more detail soon, currently they are just the super low poly base models.

It would probably come down to fox since I have no experience getting things ingame, but this is something I would love to see as well. Once we get everything together I am sure we will talk more about stuff like that. I am going to mess around with trying to get a working unit ingame before too long so eventually I hope to be able to produce some on my own, but for now it is up to fox.

Very nice work :)

btw drmidnight if you want better renders try Marmoset Toolbag

I've heard of that but never really tried it before, guess I'll check it out for when the models get to a more complete state, thanks. For where its at now I just use the default max render engine with one light since it is basically an insta-render :p.

I've cleared my schedule tomorrow so I can spend pretty much all day on these so expect some updates.

Jeez, drmidnight you are god.

Looking awesome, keep it up.

Thanks, hopefully it turns out well ingame.

Took a break from moving verts and deleting polygons to work on the hood high poly.

It's getting there, need to pinch out the sides a little so it would actually go up like a hood. time for lunch :D

e0h75f.jpg

UPDATE:

Starting to add in some smaller details. Nearly finished then it is on to retopologizing and uving.

dlqqsk.jpg

2mer4ur.jpg

2qmhoc0.jpg

Edited by drmidnight

first detailing pass before I bump it up again for another one to add some texture and finer details.

29qm5cg.jpg

is this a gangster guys or some CIA guys haha, there looking damn sexy, very nice detail.

is this a gangster guys or some CIA guys haha, there looking damn sexy, very nice detail.

lol :p it gets cold up in those mountains.

nope this is the new ArmA GTA Mod :D

Wow very nice hood...

Any ETA ? --> Kidding :D

I guess that with that they are ready for Chedaki hunting in cold Chernarus november...

About to start on the rest of the jacket, just getting the vest placed so I have a reference for the folds. I need to widen the shoulder straps some and make the zipper larger. Also feel like I need to structurally change the hood some more and bring out the sides so they fold over a bit. I might completely redo it. It just feels too small currently and it isn't a matter of scaling it up.

167a79j.jpg

Edited by drmidnight

Put a Samurai sword pack with two handles sticking out on his back and you have a ghetto ninja! they look eatable in the screenshots no joke.

Put a Samurai sword pack with two handles sticking out on his back and you have a ghetto ninja! they look eatable in the screenshots no joke.

Must be the wax matcap I use. What's making it seem "ghetto"? The recon-wrap? or everything together? Maybe when the pouches finally get in to tie it together.

Well the whole beanie, the face scarf and the hoodie make them look "gangster" but there very good man I'm just pulling your leg.

have you thought about modelling puffa jackets like snug fit and North face for you SOG units?

have you thought about modelling puffa jackets like snug fit and North face for you SOG units?

Not really since I personally dislike them :p. I am just doing a hard shell one and probably wont do any others for the time being. I'm trying to simplify the amount of things I make so these eventually get done.