Sign in to follow this  
bullman

Just asking: How to order team AI to walk/patrol?

Hi,

Based on the kind of mission I am thinking of making, it seems that I have realised that I do not know how to order my AI to walk/patrol when I give them a Move order. Essentially, I want to know how/if I can order my AI to move somewhere but to basically walk like they are on patrol. ie. not running or jogging so as to reduce detection, but not crawling either because because they need to be able to look around freely.

I know missions can easily script enemy AI to do this but what about getting your own AI to do it?

Cheers

Bull

Hey man, under the waypoint, You can adjust wether their combat state to "safe" and their speed to "Limited"

Will make them walk like they are on a patrol. you can also adjust what formation they are in.

if you want them to continue put the last waypoint to "Cycle" and their will walk back to the first Waypoint.

I think this question should be asked here (the mission editing and scripting section):

http://forums.bistudio.com/forumdisplay.php?f=93

Anyway, I'm not sure how much experience you have with mission editing, but let me recommend this guide to you:

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=4847

It's for ArmA 1, but most of the stuff in there applies to ArmA 2 as well (thankfully there's an ArmA 2 version is coming out as well). It is by far THE BEST mission editing guide for ArmA, and it goes to a high level of detail whilst maintaining a noob friendly format. Check it out.

Thanks but I think you both misunderstood me. I am not talking about mission editing/scripting. This is about gameplay.

When you are already in a game, and you are in command of AI infantry units, how do you get them to walk (not run or crawl or stealth) as if they are on patrol?

Unless its way-pointed via scripting / editor essentially the only way is when they follow you as leader and set to "safe". Or the same but sending them ahead "forward" so you are the last man in the compact column formation.

Or .. use hybrid command scripts to put them in high command or edit mission so teams are in high command and you can set them to movement slow/safe etc via way-point options that way.

Personally I cant think of many scenarios I want a team under my control to send them some place in a safe patrol style other than them following me.

Edited by mrcash2009

Unless its way-pointed via scripting / editor essentially the only way is when they follow you as leader and set to "safe". Or the same but sending them ahead "forward" so you are the last man in the compact column formation.

Or .. use hybrid command scripts to put them in high command or edit mission so teams are in high command and you can set them to movement slow/safe etc via way-point options that way.

:( I am not exactly sure what you mean by "hybrid command scripts" and putting them in "high command". Is this like a mission script which basically adds ANOTHER type of movement type of order for the player to use with his AI?

Whatever the solution you are suggesting, the player should still retain full control of the AI units assigned to him like he would if he gave them a regular Move/Aware/Crouched order for example.

Personally I cant think of many scenarios I want a team under my control to send them some place in a safe patrol style other than them following me.

I am not surprised because surprisingly there seems to be no type of mission around like the one I want to make. :huh: I have already asked the question about this type of mission and discussed it partly in this post.

Consider a MP game like Warfare (large map, lengthy game) designed for a low number of players 1-4 a side, that isn't exactly based building/researching etc that plays out more as a realistic combat simulator. One side may be tasked with defending a target, the other with attacking. Each player controls perhaps a relatively large number of AI up to 30 maybe. Basically all AI units are under human control so the ability to command AI becomes very important. Basically both players will need to first reconnoitre for the enemy. The defending players might want to order a group of his AI to "patrol" between point A and point B. To do this he wouldn't want his units running or crawling would he? He would want them to behave just like the enemy AI you see in SP missions patrolling the map.

Edited by Bullman

Now I don't know about setting the behaviour of the patrolling units, but it seems to me that what you are looking for is the HIGH COMMAND module. Simply place a "high command" and a "subordinate" module on the map, and synchronize the two together. Then synchronize the "high command" module to the player, and synchronize some units to the "Subordinates" module. That way, the player becomes the commander of all subbordinate groups and can issue commands to them. Here's the wiki page:

http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/High_Command

Have a quick read

OK thanks I will have a look at that. However, I am thinking this might only allow one player per side (the designated Commander) to be able to possibly assign units a "walk/patrol" command/order (if at all possible).

Still, it seems odd that by default you can't order your own AI to move any other way besides crawling or running. Is walking/patrolling only appropriate for enemy AI in SP games?? :rolleyes:

Sorry mate I didn't fully link the hybrid thing, I should have done that (more confusion added my end).

Bottom line is, scripted is the only real way. High command is the only "other" way ... Hybrid is as you describe but it means you have better control who dynamically gets sent to high command and back.

As regards in general about walking (as opposed to your original point about patrolling) .. the closest you get is as I say them following you in safe as leader and they follow, other than that its a case of using danger and stealth and other modes to make them move in caution, but ... alas ... never "walk".

Patrolling and walking with AI .. again, is all based on the mission and scripting / way-point that was set for them which would have been "safe" .. and a slower walk setting and patrolling mode.

So ... to just jump into anything with a team and off the bat make them walk to some-place with a command setting on-the-fly ... their isn't one directly. I dont find many situations I want it anyway, becuase im normally the leader and If I want them to follow slow then I set them as mentioned before, and in most situations I have asked my AI to move some-place 9 times out of 10 its becuase I need them to move quickly anyway.

Edited by mrcash2009

Is there actually no way to let the AI do a patrol, perhaps via map!? this is really strange.. why has BI never integraded that? i think it's one of the basis maneuvers in every army..

Hi,

Based on the kind of mission I am thinking of making, it seems that I have realised that I do not know how to order my AI to walk/patrol when I give them a Move order. Essentially, I want to know how/if I can order my AI to move somewhere but to basically walk like they are on patrol. ie. not running or jogging so as to reduce detection, but not crawling either because because they need to be able to look around freely.

I know missions can easily script enemy AI to do this but what about getting your own AI to do it?

Cheers

Bull

Put your units on SAFE and STAND UP and they will walk.