Sign in to follow this  
Dwarden

Men of War: Assault Squad open beta @ STEAM

thanks for the tip. I had to wait a day for the key to actually work in game BTW.

Edited by sparks50

new page and new keys , seems like they ran out of STEAM keys ... happens

How is this compared to say, I dunno, CoH?

Its far more micromanaging orientated, so (assuming its like the other MoW stuff) you can take control of one guy, fire his weapon move him around tell him what weapons to pick up. At the same time though, you can just command it more like a regular RTS. I really enjoy it, I seem to get really attached to individual troops (they all have names too!)

One of the best game series. In closed beta, I played the mp modes in sp, but the difficulty level is almost insane. AI playes really good. Especially when the first tanks arrive, there is usually only few minutes to live. I should try some MP-games again if there is now more rookie players.

CoH is arcade for people who don't care about angle of theirs tank (to richo incoming round) or theirs armor type (sloped vs nonsloped vs mm layer) etc.

MoW is for tactical realism fans

You have multiple ammo per most of guns, multiple weapons per vehicle

units can have rifles, mgs, pistols, various types of grenades, explosives, molotovs, smokes,mines, detectors etc

in fact it's like trying compare BC2 with OA :)

Edited by Dwarden

Just played for a bit and had great fun, feels at home almost in an instant. Went on Tiger Tank rampage, killing 3 Shermans in a row just when the enemy team was forming up for some kind of zerg rush in front of our spawn zone :thumb_down:

don't forget that this game developers were ones of these invented the Direct Control system for RTS

(where you can control directly the movement, facing and aiming of unit)

ofcourse MoW:AS has it too (btw. CoH copied it in one of theirs big DLCs)

Hmm, Whats involved in this game? is it like making "bases" or camps with buildings and creating units? Or, you given pre-set units to use? What about planes, bombing, artillery, paratroopers, trains etc?

Also what factions can you play as? (in the beta/demo I mean)

ps. Sorry for my stupidity as it may seem, i've not heard of this game before. :(

I thought these guys were working on a Vietnam RTS, not a big fan of WW2 myself. Anyone know if that's going to have a beta?

This game has no base making, but you are able to create fortifications/minefields. Also units are given at start of the mission, but in some mp modes and even in sp - you gain slowly credit to buy units, tanks or other stuff. Better stuff costs much more, but in amateur hands you can easily loose tiger for a single soldier with AT-grenade. Different tanks also have their own ways to play - T34 is meant to move all the time and try to flank while tiger could stand still and rely on heavy armor. There is much vehicles and unit classes to use. The whole game is full of little features and details. Its amazing how good the game actually is. I dont know why am not currently playing it. ;)

In earlier beta that I played had soviet, german and US armies. There is planes, bombing artillery and paratroopers. Not sure about the trains but I think the full game could have those. Earlier games had at least.

I cant wait the full game with new SP missions.

Edited by SaOk

I thought these guys were working on a Vietnam RTS, not a big fan of WW2 myself. Anyone know if that's going to have a beta?

Vietnam MoW is same as Red Tide expansion for MoW ...

made by some contracted small studio working for 1C or so ...

AS was heavily balanced for multiplayer PvP but also coop skirmishes vs AI ...

also with some slight work the maps from MoW and the mods and community work will work in AS aswell ...

MoW:AS vs MoW is approx like OA vs A2

Pretty good. I love MoW. The only problem I really encountered was when I'd call for reinforcements they would not go where I told them to causing me to lose lots of ground due to poor response times. Other than that it was awesome.

I loved Men of War but my system isnt up to the task to play it properly yet. I got some way but after a while the missions became bigger and bigger, then my pc couldnt provide the necessary power for a nice framerate anymore.

Waiting with playing again untill i can get a new pc :)

Thanks for informing us about the beta... MoW is definitely one of my favorite games.

This game has no base making, but you are able to create fortifications/minefields. Also units are given at start of the mission, but in some mp modes and even in sp - you gain slowly credit to buy units, tanks or other stuff. Better stuff costs much more, but in amateur hands you can easily loose tiger for a single soldier with AT-grenade. Different tanks also have their own ways to play - T34 is meant to move all the time and try to flank while tiger could stand still and rely on heavy armor. There is much vehicles and unit classes to use. The whole game is full of little features and details. Its amazing how good the game actually is. I dont know why am not currently playing it. ;)

In earlier beta that I played had soviet, german and US armies. There is planes, bombing artillery and paratroopers. Not sure about the trains but I think the full game could have those. Earlier games had at least.

Now I have never played this game, so I can't have a definite opinion... but what you described there sounds very VERY similar to World In Conflict. I am a fan of realistic/detailed RTS, but I already have World In Coflict... So is MoW worth getting or should I just stick to WIC because their similar?

I hope I don't sound like some ignorant fool trying to compare Harvest Moon with ArmA 2...

Edited by kyfohatl

Looks and feel alot like their other title: Theater of war. So what the difference?

I loved Men of War but my system isnt up to the task to play it properly yet. I got some way but after a while the missions became bigger and bigger, then my pc couldnt provide the necessary power for a nice framerate anymore.

Waiting with playing again untill i can get a new pc :)

The predecessor "Soldiers- Heroes of WW2" is only 5$ on steam at the moment.

If you haven't tried that I recommend highly. It plays a bit smoother.

I've had MoW for ages but I recall I got stuck in german campaign with annoying sneaking mission... Great game though.

The predecessor "Soldiers- Heroes of WW2" is only 5$ on steam at the moment.

One of a few games i consider a "must have" - also the last Codemasters punlished title i bought :D

edit: lol @ publish typo, kinda fits though..

Now I have never played this game, so I can't have a definite opinion... but what you described there sounds very VERY similar to World In Conflict. I am a fan of realistic/detailed RTS, but I already have World In Coflict... So is MoW worth getting or should I just stick to WIC because their similar?

I hope I don't sound like some ignorant fool trying to compare Harvest Moon with ArmA 2...

I tested only the World In Conflict demo, but the games are much different. The unit/tank purchase system is similiar, I believe, but the game is totally different. E.g. all the soldiers in men of war behave really realistically with complex looking AI. It almost feel real to command soldiers one by one to move new position while rest cover with suppressing fire. There is endlessly room for different tactics to use since also the maps are fully destroyable. Soldiers and even tanks could use houses as cover, offering an excelent way to hide. Opposite to that, everything can be burned down with flamethrower or exploded with dynamite or AT-grenades. And even the house pieces can be used as cover. AI uses proper tactics to attack with mass, not with single soldiers.

Unit commanding is also very easy. You can set them have more or less free will - they can stay where you want on knee holding fire or make own choices. All units can have their own settings and have their own inventory. Still if you command them as a squad then the soldiers automically share their ammo which allows faster ammo gathering if needed. Creating and splitting squads is also very simple. The more you play, the more easy the commanding is. The game is won by good tactics more than fast mouse clicks.

MoW is definitely always worth of getting. There is no even close a similar style game.

The two are very different games. WIC takes place on a larger scale, where you don't really have a lot of control over individual units, whereas MoW gives you a lot of control over individual units (ex: inventory management, direct control, crewing vehicles, etc...), and typically the map sizes are smaller (but the battles can still be pretty significantly sized).

Looks and feel alot like their other title: Theater of war. So what the difference?

I only tried the ToW demo, but Men of War definately seems more intuitive and seems to be more action oriented (for most people, that translate to MoW = more fun).

I love the old MoW I hope that MoW:AS is going to be as awesome as the old one :)