Sign in to follow this  
jr_walker

Clutter Crash

Hello,

If I attempt to enable clutter, ARMA CO crashes when I try to open my island. The error in the .rpt file is:

Warning Message: Cannot open object ca\plants2\clutter\ca\plants2\clutter\c_stubble.p3d

One thread I reviewed indicated that I would need the appropriate .pbo in my @namespace Addon directory. I’ve tried various combinations of that with the same result. The tutorial threads don’t mention any such requirement.

I get no errors in the .log file when the island is binanarized. Below shows my directory structure and config files.

cantopenobj.jpg

Any idea what I am doing wrong or not doing?

Thanks

hmmm... yes...

From the looks of that directory path you're a bit confused on the whole P:\ drive paths front... Old Bear made a good post with pictures recently , illustrating what it should be like.. it's un peu francais but easy enough to follow and spot on in its construction... Robster was struggling in another thread with a similar thing and found one of Alliex's posts on a similar topic, and lastly - while you're at it, you might as well read thru all of Alliex's tutorials... these are scattered around all over the place, and Allie hasn't been around recently to tidy things, so I've gathered together all his tutorials lying around on my HD and posted them on my new wee website for easy access...

Might be a good idea to have a read thru all of them, just for info purposes...

You should be able to glean all the info you need to set up P:\ properly from that lot, so I won't repeat what they'll say - the basic concept is that you unpack a significant chunk of the game into your readymade P:\CA folder, plus copy a "configs only" version of that CA folder into your "namespace" folder (ASI?), (theres a little batchfile in the tutorial that you can adapt to do this bit automatically)... so you end up with a...

P:\CA = all the game .pbo's unpacked - each in their appropriate folders (don't overwrite the Roads2 models!!)

P:\ASI\CA = same folder structure as above but config.cpp's only

P:\ASI\IslandProjectFolder = this is where you have "Source", "Data" and your .pew and .wrp island files, config.cpp, etc...

Read all of the above and the concept should kick in no probs, then its just a matter of putting it all together - which is a chore, but usually only needs done once... (and, if you can muster the HD space, then once you've got the whole P:\ fuss done and tested and working - just back up the entire P:\ setup)...

I've had to reinstall Windows at least once during my project and had no worries at all with a complete physical backup of the "BIS TOOLS" folder (which carries the virtual P: drive along with it in the "ArmaWork" folder - just reinstalled default tools to get them in registry, then overwrote the whole damned thing again - worked fine and saved all my littlestuff like buldozer profiles, kptypes and Vis scripts - back to where I was in minutes... well worth it...

You have worked your way thru Sgt Ace's Tutorial haven't you?

One of its main aims is to force you to put together the basics of this structure - get it working, and see an in-game result - all in an evening... I remember doing it twice ;)

B

Edited by Bushlurker

In addition to the excellent explanations Bushlurker, it seems to me the path of your model in config.cpp file is not correct.

It should be: "ca\Plants2\Clutter\c_stubble.p3d";

In addition, if you use objects ARMA2 and OA, it just be helpful:

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=101407

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=108849

Yup, akio is correct. Arma always crashes when clutter is missing or the path is wrong :)

Thanks all,

Better now, but not into the woods yet, so to speak.

I did look at the pictures Old Bear posted in dougboy’s thread, and believe, at least compared to the extent of the pictures posted, that my directories were structured the same. I do have a back up of the project and have I reinstalled the tools and project several times, each time following Sgt. Ace’s tutorial. And as I read the setup section one more time, it looks like I’ve installed it incorrectly at least the last few times… :-[

I realize this is not my first post and far from my last posts for assistance. But please know I do Google, search the forums, study extracted .pbos and experiment (because I learn that way) before posting here. (You should see how many things I’ve figured out on my own ;-> ) If you search for ‘clutter’ or ‘unable to open object ca\’ you really don’t get many hits.

The errors are gone now and no more crash, yet no clutter…but I'm confident the problem lies in my surfaces config (which was probably the initial problem I had before I started reinstalling and moving things around). I’ll get sorted…(or be back with more questions).

Take care all!

ALL SORTED: Weeds, bushes, dead stuff...blowing in the wind. Outstanding!

Edited by JR_Walker
update