Sign in to follow this  
kyfohatl

Alpha Prime's Gameplay? (check link)

I'm guessing this is the game this sub-forum is about?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alpha_Prime

Anyway, if this is the game, then can someone tell me a bit more about the game and especially about its gameplay? Wikipedia goes on too much about the story and not enough about the gameplay. All I've managed to figure out is that its is an FPS from these links:

http://au.pc.ign.com/objects/746/746915.html

http://www.alpha-prime.com/

By the way: First! <----- bad, bad :nono: Sorry, couldn't resist

Thanks. I must say it doesn't look too bad. I really liked the AI and judging from that video, it seems pretty smart.

It uses the Doom3 engine i think. Played the demo once and like the atmosphere.

AI: they either patrol or wait somewhere until you show up, bit boring. Also i think once they spotted you they have really fast reactions. You always get hit when coming around a corner no matter how good you hide.

Thats what i remember at least.

No, it is not using Doom 3 engine. It is powered by Enforce Engine from Black Element Software.

)rStrangelove;1780769']It uses the Doom3 engine i think. Played the demo once and like the atmosphere.

AI: they either patrol or wait somewhere until you show up' date=' bit boring. Also i think once they spotted you they have really fast reactions. You always get hit when coming around a corner no matter how good you hide.

Thats what i remember at least.[/quote']

No, it is not using Doom 3 engine. It is powered by Enforce Engine from Black Element Software.

Yeah, and havock physic according to wikipedia (quote):

The game is powered by the Enforce 2 Engine with Havok Physics...the game has been complimented for having a solid engine with crisp visuals that live up to its mainstream contemporaries.
AI: they either patrol or wait somewhere until you show up, bit boring. Also i think once they spotted you they have really fast reactions. You always get hit when coming around a corner no matter how good you hide.

I was just reading about that actually. Here's the wikipedia quote about the game's reception (I don't know reliable it is in this case):

The enemies have been criticized for being too hard, with perfect aim at all ranges and no reduction in damage, leading players to constantly having to save and load.

Though again, as I said, I don't know how reliable that is. I mean, I remember ArmA 2 being critisized on several occasions by the "casual gaming community" for being "too hard" and having an "unfair" AI (don't ask me for quotes on this, I can't remember where I red these because it was a year ago), but I think we all agree that that's just a load of bull.

So, to anyone who has played the game: how do you find the AI?

Meqon physics is used in Alpha Prime.

Oh, ok. This is the first time that I run across incorrect information in Wikipedia. My teachers always used to reject Wikipedia as a reference source for research, and I used to think they were just being fussy and pedantic... now I can see their point.

Ok. But it looked almost exactly like Doom3. Very well done, great metal texture fx and shadows.

Oh, ok. This is the first time that I run across incorrect information in Wikipedia. My teachers always used to reject Wikipedia as a reference source for research, and I used to think they were just being fussy and pedantic... now I can see their point.

that's why reliable wikipedia entries are usually followed by citations or url leading to e.g. our CEO comment about Meqon engine being used :cool:

Hello there,

Dreadful game from what i remember playing it. Uninstalled very quickly from my pc.

Such a lonng time ago that i cant remember what put me off, but it was definatly lacinkg in several departments.

Try the demo first, if there is one, before purchase.

Rgds

Lok

I bought it a few days ago with the leftover cash on a Visa gift card.

Not a great game but not bad for the price.

I stopped part way through when I hit one of those annoying levels where you have to get through a room with enemies that take 20-30 attempts to do it.

It's an old game so thats one of the things you might run into thats common with FPS games like this.

I know this is old, but I thought I could add something to the discussion and Placebo agreed.

that's why reliable wikipedia entries are usually followed by citations or url leading to e.g. our CEO comment about Meqon engine being used :cool:

I wrote most of the Wikipedia page as it is right now. When I found it, it was a barren mess that was outdated about the little information that it did have.

That said, I don't feel that I'm very good at making articles. I tried to flesh out the parts I knew as best as I could, but I left the things I wasn't sure about because I didn't want to step on anyone else's edits. Anyone can edit though, since it is Wikipedia. If anyone else wants to help make the article more accurate, you're more than welcome to, of course.

I find it really unfortunate that the game isn't properly documented in a lot of places, and I've tried to remedy that. I've tried my best, but I'm not so great at it. If anyone can help, or at least provide any extra information like on this thread, it would be greatly appreciated.

Though again, as I said, I don't know how reliable that is. I mean, I remember ArmA 2 being critisized on several occasions by the "casual gaming community" for being "too hard" and having an "unfair" AI (don't ask me for quotes on this, I can't remember where I red these because it was a year ago), but I think we all agree that that's just a load of bull.

So, to anyone who has played the game: how do you find the AI?

Answering this is probably not important anymore, but while I'm at it...

This game is pretty unfair. The AI maybe isn't the smartest, but they're infallible. They simply cannot miss, and if they're in line of sight, you're taking full damage. On top of that, the indicator that you're taking damage in this game is fairly subtle, so it's easy to miss that you're getting torn apart until it's too late.

I've had at least a couple of shooter fans who simply gave up on the game because of that. I made it through, so it's not impossible. It definitely does not feel like it's intended as a feature, though.