Sign in to follow this  
schnapsdrosel

OA desert mercs

Well take your time, because I think your doing this fast! One man project and this quality it's fast enough. And besides, the most of this is from scratch, so yea it's fast enough!

There is still a lot of work to do, before I can release the addon, but I’m working hard to get it out as soon as possible…

new berets:

please do not quote images

Not a fan of berets for mercs or military personnel in combat gear (won't hurt to add a unit crest on the tan ranger beret), but your work looks great.:)

Edited by W0lle

bugkill

After being around for almost a decade you should know that quoting images/videos is not allowed. :p

bugkill

After being around for almost a decade you should know that quoting images/videos is not allowed. :p

Damn, my bad.:confused:

There is still a lot of work to do, before I can release the addon, but I’m working hard to get it out as soon as possible…

new berets:

http://img43.imageshack.us/img43/1303/arma2oa2011021118272260.jpg

I hope those guys don't end up speaking German or Russian only... that type of thing always bugged me.

How are those BlackOps going BTW?

Snaps looks super as always, how many differrent colors variations on the berets will there be, will there be one in black with the same symbol on it as the red one..??

Are there any updates?

If there would be any updates, I'm sure he would have posted them!

Oooh hell yeah. Sweet. Not too heavy but not too light. Perfect man, can not wait to run with those guys haha

Looking good. Will these be replacing your other mercs or just adding them on?

I'm tired of seeing good models/unit addons that have ugly camo. There are too many mismatched units out there that just look bad. Too many woodland shirts with desert pants or a weird color helmet. Or the desert camo patterns then a us army camo pattern for pants or something that make them stand out too much. I wish they would start keeping them more similar and not so extreme. Especially the mismatch happens on spec units, where the individual usually picks what they want to wear, but then the whole squad all looks the same. Your units are usually very good.

I recommend having a couple varieties of the pic above where they are kind of uniform. Make a couple squads of those with different colors. Makes them look like a spec op squad instead of civilian pmcs all the time.

One thing I would like to see, and haven't really seen yet. But back more in the cold war type days, Spec ops would remove all tags and items that showed what country they are from. So if captured their captures wouldn't know where they came from.

So what I would like to see, is more blufor/opfor specops, to be dressing more like the enemy. That way they can infiltrate better. If i'm going on a secret mission behind enemy lines, i'd rather be wearing enemy camo.

So if there is a way you can get some of these mercenaries (or a new project) to start wearing enemy camo instead of old or just mixed up stuff.

Maybe use an american unit, so the soldier still looks american but give him a mix of camo based on missions. German/ACR/French/Russian/etc. for european missions and the same for the desert type countries. Also take opfor units and touch them up with blufor camo. You get the idea.

Just saw your post saying to add ideas.

Looking great, bro. If no pistols are going to be placed in the holsters I think it would be best that the holsters be removed and replaced with thigh rigs that have ammo or medical packs. Keep up the great work and can't wait to DL these bad boys.

I have been searching all over, what reason is there that no pistol are placed in the holsters? Is it because, If someone decided to add a different holster/ when the pistol is drawn it looks like it is still in the players holster?

Not trying to change the subject (talking about the original addon), but this baffles me.

Schnapsdrosel, you are the man, dawg! LOL. Keep up the GREAT work.

I have been searching all over, what reason is there that no pistol are placed in the holsters? Is it because, If someone decided to add a different holster/ when the pistol is drawn it looks like it is still in the players holster?

The model editor can place a pistol in the holster, however:

- The pistol model would never change, even if the unit had another pistol, and

- Although I believe it's probably possible to script the pistol disappearing when the unit has the pistol selected, it's a waste of time and CPU cycles for a minor visual effect.

Bottom line - not worth it.

So basically, this one thing being in the holster messes up the cpu cycle count? Bottom line and all.

Edited by kurow

The model editor can place a pistol in the holster, however:

- The pistol model would never change, even if the unit had another pistol, and

- Although I believe it's probably possible to script the pistol disappearing when the unit has the pistol selected, it's a waste of time and CPU cycles for a minor visual effect.

Bottom line - not worth it.

The CPU cycle is for making the pistol appear/disappear from the holster (Which IMO would be a waste too due to the fact people will be more focused on the target rather then if the pistol is there or not lol)

It's the small touches that make a game truely polished. Anyway, I dont know what kind of processor would be stressed from this. Maybe a Pentium P5:biggrin:

It's the small touches that make a game truely polished. Anyway, I dont know what kind of processor would be stressed from this. Maybe a Pentium P5:biggrin:

Well, if you don't want to have a pistol in the holster and in your character's hands at the same time, I would suggest a low sleep time for whatever script is checking out what your primary weapon is, which yeah, will stress your CPU. Not much, but if every unit has a holstered pistol, shit gets out of hand quickly. Same sort of deal when units are made with far too many sections.

But more pressing than this is the silliness which occurs when you pick up a M1911, and lo and behold! an M9 remains in your holster. I suggest this would detract a lot more from the polish than anything else.

Isn't it possible to dynamically change the pistol in the holster?

I don't care about having a pistol in the holster,afterall in the heat of the battle what handgun I have on my model is the least of my worries.

Besides if Cameron is right about the lag thing I prefer having more than 30-40 units instead of some small visual gimmick.