Sign in to follow this  
SFG

Invasion 1944 - DDay 2.0

As part of the upcoming Combined Operations version of Invasion 1944 we'll be including new infantry units on both sides of the conflict!

First up the Waffen SS modelled by Jojimbo and textured by Rebus, we've finally had time to eliminate the issues that prevented these guys from the initial release, you can see them here with the MG42 and RPzB43 which Vex_man has been polishing. Also Macolik has been working on a replacement launcher animation so keep an eye out for an update on that soon!

waffenss01.th.jpgmg42010.th.jpgrpzb4301.th.jpg

As some of you may have heard Yac has also kindly provided us with his US Airborne troops which we now have ingame, and they go alongside Guy's new folding stock M1 Carbine really well!

usab01.th.jpgm1carbine01.th.jpg

Canukausiuka has been hard at working converting weapons over so those with ranging abilities can now be zero'd using the PgUp and PgDn keys (by default), grenades and satchels are also working. He's slowly been picking away at the bugs listed on Dev-Heaven and one by one they are being eliminated.

Keep an eye out for further updates for more news on new content (features, units, maps) which we hope to bring into Invasion 1944 for Combined Operations.

For more screenshots and news visit the topic on our public forums.

Those new units look really great! Hope to get more variations of soldiers & officers in different ranks and headgears in next release. Just one thing tortures me and it wont be in compatible with ARMA2? Now have to consider in getting an OA disc...

Edited by FKPLACE

Now have to consider in getting an OA disc

You wont regret it man. And its an ok price at the mo.

Do we have any feedback on the recoil fix?

Canukausiuka has been tweaking the values since moving to CO I'm hoping to have time to do a run on the firing range sometime this week to do a little video to show the changes so far, and get some feedback from you guys as well. Recoil is very hard to balance as everyone has their own opinions and experiences. Most importantly we want the game to be fun to play while keeping the guns effective within their own class. It would be a real shame for everyone to just use one gun all the time.

Here's a bit of footage from a recent test of recoil in the Combined Operations version of Invasion 1944. A few things to note, weapons are now affected by the shake in CO, depending on the players stance will effect the amount a weapon shakes when fired (more when standing, less kneeling, and less even more prone). The other thing to note is the weapon rise, the test begins by showing what happens if a player just holds the fire button down, the gun rises as in real life upwards more with each shot. To counteract this players must control their fire by dragging the mouse in the opposite direction to the drift as you would grip a real weapon. We're still tweaking the values to ensure weapons feel real but effective, feel free to give your feedback and suggestions below or on our public forums!

a2yNQyRe3H8

Edited by PacUK

Yeah, there's a metric tonne of people out there who hate having to drag their mouse downward to counteract recoil. Brace yourself.

Yeah, there's a metric tonne of people out there who hate having to drag their mouse downward to counteract recoil. Brace yourself.

Well its no different to how the standard ARMA2 weapons function, full auto on the SAW will leave you looking at the sky if you just hold down fire. It doesn't require drastic movements to correct your aim just a gentle motion down to pull against the drift up. In the previous I44 release there was much more recoil (a higher jump up) and a very slow return, this has made full auto fire a more usable feature (if not always the best way to hit something).

These tests were done with the M1A1 Thompson which ideally you use at 50-100 meters, if not much closer, but as you can see it can still be used to fire and more importantly suppress enemies over that distance whereas before fighting the recoil was near impossible to do.

We do appreciate all feedback though and so please voice any concerns or suggestions on how we could improve the effect.

Here's a bit of footage from a recent test of recoil in the Combined Operations version of Invasion 1944.

Very nice! TBH, I had no complaints about the current behavior, but more realism will always be welcome here. :D

One thing that i see in the video is that the weapon seems to rise just as much in prone position as in standing pos. i would say (from my limted time in weaponranges) that this shouldnt be the case. As you rest the weight of the weapon on the elbows you are better at counteracting the rise of the weapon, but if you fire fullauto without any aid (sandbag etc.) to rest the barrel on you normally have a bigger sway/rise from side to side seing from the vid the shooter is righthand shooter it should push the barrel from left to right.

not that i would really care if this isnt implemented, i44 is probably the best mod right now :)

just my 2/100 of a swedish crown :D

/subroc

edit: corrected my "swedish chef" writing

One thing that i see in the video is that the weapon seems to rise just as much in prone position as in standing pos. i would say (from my limted time in weaponranges) that this shouldnt be the case. As you rest the weight of the weapon on the elbows you are better at counteracting the rise of the weapon, but if you fire fullauto without any aid (sandbag etc.) to rest the barrel on you normally have a bigger sway/rise from side to side seing from the vid the shooter is righthand shooter it should push the barrel from left to right.

If you check again you'll notice the rise effect on prone is about half as much as when standing so there's a lot less adjustment needed from the player when firing fully auto, and the weapon does also drift from left to right as you mentioned (as can be seen when I start using the rise to lead my gun into the targets). Keep the feedback coming guys, weapon effectiveness is one of our main points to address with CO so we'd like to get it as close as right as we can.

Edited by PacUK

Looks great. Forcing either to use short controlled bursts standing and crouched, or longer controlled bursts when prone. Just like in real life, and it's perfectly usable ingame as long as you don't use a Hollywood style of shooting (unloading an entire mag on someone while standing upright).

really really like it. much better than the current recoil for ARMA2. cant wait for the new release. seriously, this recoil fix def made me more excited for the new release!

Well done, guys. But please also try to give the same effects for those AI soldiers. Otherwise, they would shoot more accurate than us!

As far as I know there is no difference between AI and player recoil.

Hi after all this feedback and videos, I'm dying to test this mod. I have just a few questions :

1. Does the new version require OA?

2. Has the long-loading been of Normandy been fixed?

3. Have any good co-op missions released?

4. When is the next release planned?

BTW though I've never fired a Tommy gun, the recoil looks pretty realistic. Don't forget that although it had a high rate of fire, it was heavy and fairly controllable.

Many thanks

Edited by domokun

1. Does the new version require OA?

The new version will require Combined Operations, that is ArmA2 AND Operation Arrowhead installed which combines to make Combined Operations. For our own reference we say CO for short, and use OA to reference Operation Arrowhead in a standalone setup. Unfortunately we CANNOT guarantee those people with ONLY OA installed will be able to play as use we content from ArmA2 in the mod. Also as all team members use a CO setup none of us can really test it in that situation anyway.

2. Has the long-loading been of Normandy been fixed?

Yes we're hoping to release an update to Omaha for the existing release as well as include it in the CO version of the mod. Jojimbo's done a beautiful job enhancing the terrain which you can expect to see some shots of very soon. The map itself now loads in under a minute in most tests.

3. Have any good co-op missions released?

*gasp* are you saying the missions I did for the release weren't good enough?!

There's been a few new Coop's pop up on public servers but so far very few have been sent our way to include in future versions. I'm currently trying to polish the existing missions of the last few bugs that are still creeping around the beach.

4. When is the next release planned?

We can never plan a release date as we just don't know how much time we'll ever have to work on the mod, real life has a habit of cropping up and delaying any such well laid plans. I can say we're progressing well, hopefully we'll have the CO version in full multiplayer testing by the end of the week. There's still a number of fixes and features we're hoping to get done before the public release, so we're trying to balance the essentials against things we can implement in the future without impacting the mod's quality.

another Q,

will the next version potentially break current mission making content? and..

will there be british voices in the next release?

cheers

Edited by Ebolavirus