Sign in to follow this  
SFG

Invasion 1944 - DDay 2.0

haha awesome! thanks alot Pac! and b17! :D i definitely wanna check things out to get a nice start on making some missions!

I would like to ask a revising on MGs,etc. when you shoot them in stand. Really too much recoil after only one or two shoots. Maybe could let it like that after shooting at least five rounds?

I would like to ask a revising on MGs,etc. when you shoot them in stand. Really too much recoil after only one or two shoots. Maybe could let it like that after shooting at least five rounds?

Me too!

E.g. the MG34 is not really usable, even if prone.

Tanks a lot

A.

Me too!

E.g. the MG34 is not really usable, even if prone.

Tanks a lot

A.

We're currently aware of this issue, and are looking into changing it.

But keep in mind you'll always have bigger recoil with those MG's. Mainly we don't want to overpower the MG's against other weapons, especially the chance this weapon would have been shot standing or in a prone position wasnt that likely.

We are also looking into deployable weapons (with useage of tripod / bipod), which will do even more good looking at those MG's.

A deployable bipod for the machineguns would be good, even if its just an action or something where you press it, then you cannot move and only get like a 30 degree firing arc. To stop it being overpowered...

What about ACE?

Most people\teams (like mine) would like to use it with ACE.

What about ACE?

Most people\teams (like mine) would like to use it with ACE.

Ask the ACE dudes to make their mod compatible with I44?

Also, have any source on your claim for "most"?

I'd like weapon resting, but that would be it. Either way as far I see it, it is up to ACE to be compatible with other mods and get off its high-horse.

More than happy to have it as a standalone, for me ace is a standalone mod as well each seperate, but thats just my interpretation about it. Either way great work I44 guys really enjoying it many thanks.

Actually many teams are shedding ACE and going to stock OA.

OT: Will be downloading this on my next trip to the library.

Ask the ACE dudes to make their mod compatible with I44?
Right. Gameplay mod should try to fit to Models-Addon (sry, I treat this way), not the opposite way... yeah right.

Where was the anti-ACE trolls when I talked dirty about ACE, back in the day?

Right. Gameplay mod should try to fit to Models-Addon (sry, I treat this way), not the opposite way... yeah right.

Yeah it's not up to EVERY mod out there to be compatible with ACE... they aren't a special case, not i44's problem!

SFG just put up some of the footage from 97thRR's D-Day event from Monday night:

Enjoy!

(and someone send SFG some chicken soup!)

Shame I couldnt make it, but loved that video! :D

That's how I44 should be played guys.

These discussions about ACE compatibility are quite funny.

It keeps repeating the same things over and over, and it seems we need to keep answering it over and over.

@I44 team; sorry for hijack!

There's 2 sorts of compatibilities;

eXtended EventHandler compatibility;

This makes 3rd party mods compatible to eachother, by being able to share eventhandlers. (Besides the more advanced purposes)

This is for the common good of the community, and has nothing to do with ACE.

If a mod is XEH compatible it is compatible with all mods using XEH, as well as ACE.

In short; it provides a fix for a severe limitation in the game. Without it, no-one's eventhandler based mods would be compatible!

I am currently working on a prototype to be able to support even Mods that do not support XEH, this is however not without limitations;

http://dev-heaven.net/issues/15038 (Beta available for testing!)

ACE Custom Feature compatibility;

This is entirely optional and is not required to be so called 'ACE Compatible'.

Some features in ACE require special config properties to be used, if you have some technical knowledge of the game you will know that this is in some cases unavoidable, and pretty normal.

Really, any (XEH compatible) mod will work just fine with ACE regardless if it supports the few custom features that require extra config properties. Most features will work out of the box, due to inherited values etc.

Additionally; If a mod doesn't support the features out of the Box, it is extremely easy to create an override config for it, much like the great many 'unit replacement' and 'weapon replacement' packs that are out there.

We're not on any high horses, and we don't demand anyone's compatibility.

Like the mod? Dislike the mod? Fine. If you'd like to support ACE Custom features; fine. If you don't; fine too.

The only real importance to general compatibility is eXtended EventHandlers; seperate from ACE.

Generally speaking; You're hurting end-users a lot more with being XEH incompatible, than you are hurting other mod(teams).

We take compatibility seriously, and are happy to hear about problems / improvements to work on.

Really, think of ACE what you want; hate it, love it, burn it, or otherwise, but the repeated so called 'compatibility' bickering is lame, and incorrect.

Get your facts straight ;-) Have a read; http://dev-heaven.net/projects/cca/wiki/Extended_Eventhandlers

I can understand that endless fan-requests for making mods compatible with ACE (or any other mod) can be annoying (at the very least), yet this is not a reflection of our Mod or Team; Believe me, in reverse we have to suck it up too!

As to the note that lots of teams are supposedly shedding ACE;

The total dedicated servers running ACE has been mostly the same for the past months; around 400; http://updater.dev-heaven.net/mods/nested/a546d346-a754-11de-b50f-0021855d3b6d?_method=get&associations=queryservers

For CBA it is even around 600; http://updater.dev-heaven.net/mods/nested/973db6b6-a754-11de-b50f-0021855d3b6d?_method=get&associations=queryservers

Additionally, reading our fan-comments, ACE 1.6 is the best version till date.

But anyway, pretty off-topic... sorry.

Edited by Sickboy

We're currently aware of this issue, and are looking into changing it.

But keep in mind you'll always have bigger recoil with those MG's. Mainly we don't want to overpower the MG's against other weapons, especially the chance this weapon would have been shot standing or in a prone position wasnt that likely.

Thanks for that! Of course, we could undertand the recoil for keeping as much closer as that of reality. Just want to have some balance for game amusement.

i really see no reason why mod is not utilizing XEH (which is part of CBA now)

the point of whole package was to help avoid collisions between various addons and mods and help end users to combine them

(not to mention other goodies mod author gains from it)

Ok sorry for being hmmm... inaccurate.

SO:

CBA compatibility is a basics I guess, especially I44 goes CO (+ old XEH is, well, old)

but then, that's not what I meant - I was pretty sure they'll go for CBA. (many ppl use it to run I44 on their CO, as old XEH brings up errors, in mine case for example)

I meant the ACE features like weaponrest, CSW, towing, shells 'n' stuff. If I could kill the barbed wire around the field with ACE Wirecutters, it'd be great too...

Dunno, that'd probably need a different config, maybe an optional one. But it'd be great and would make both sides happy.

Oh and also for I44 team: We were really annoyed by the (almost?) bulletproof fences, which You also can't step (jump) over. Running all the way around because of the small fence You could even destroy with a simple kick is a real buzzkiller. As well as weapon dexterity - did You changed it\plan to change it, so the guns don't act like they all weight 15 kg's? Not being able to quickly sway gun isn't realistic in any matter.

I really hope Hotfix for CO is coming anytime soon, as we'd really like to have it on our dedi. We don't care for SS troops, we can live without them ;)

Edited by JonPL

is it possible to remove the tank radar on the left corner of screen? the radar makes it too unrealistic, is there any mods that can remove it?

Ok sorry for being hmmm... inaccurate.

SO:

CBA compatibility is a basics I guess, especially I44 goes CO (+ old XEH is, well, old)

but then, that's not what I meant - I was pretty sure they'll go for CBA. (many ppl use it to run I44 on their CO, as old XEH brings up errors, in mine case for example)

I meant the ACE features like weaponrest, CSW, towing, shells 'n' stuff. If I could kill the barbed wire around the field with ACE Wirecutters, it'd be great too...

Dunno, that'd probably need a different config, maybe an optional one. But it'd be great and would make both sides happy.

Oh and also for I44 team: We were really annoyed by the (almost?) bulletproof fences, which You also can't step (jump) over. Running all the way around because of the small fence You could even destroy with a simple kick is a real buzzkiller. As well as weapon dexterity - did You changed it\plan to change it, so the guns don't act like they all weight 15 kg's? Not being able to quickly sway gun isn't realistic in any matter.

I really hope Hotfix for CO is coming anytime soon, as we'd really like to have it on our dedi. We don't care for SS troops, we can live without them ;)

lowering height of some fence parts was discussed fully and we are definately going to do somwthing aboout that. you will be able to move from house to house without going round :)

the hedges now feature in the map properly so you can plan better tactics.

map loading time is much better, and the weapons are being discussed too.

unfortunately though, the waffes ss are done ready to go, but there are other units in the works already;)

Wow you guys got ACE chat busy eh? Seems Jojimbo's covered the island issues, yes the fences can't be climbed, thats because the fences are from the ArmA version of the mod when fence hopping didn't exist and you had to run around them, when ArmA2 was released we had no way of knowing what that height for the hop would be, hopefully Jojimbo will be fixing a few for the updated version of Omaha.

Now with regards to ACE there are definitely from Features we can appreciate people like and there's a number that we COULD make use of, and also a large number that we couldn't; mainly concerning newer weapons and technologies.

Personally I don't play ACE so I'm not too familiar with the actual systems employed beyond brief descriptions available from their feature list. When I get some time I am hoping to get to give it some real playtime. A few months back I made a list of the features from ACE that seem like they would function well with the mod (e.g. weapon resting, wire cutters, it was a pretty long list but nowhere near as long as the full ACE feature list).

The thing to remember about this release of Invasion 1944 is that it's a conversion of the mod from ArmA to ArmA 2 (this is why we are using a now out-dated extended eventhandlers instead of CBA). Combined Operations was released mid-way through development, so we had a choice then to switch over or continue with ArmA2 directly.

As very few other mods or features such as XEH/CBA had been moved over at the time, and our progress with ArmA2 was pretty far along it was decided to stay with ArmA2, and then later update the mod for CO. This allowed us to get something out quicker and also meant those without CO (which at the time there were a lot of) could still experience I44.

Development was then halted with ArmA 2's v1.07 patch as it stopped the mod working. We did do some preliminary tests with CO and Canukausiuka even got some features working (distance ranging on scopes etc). Howver the ArmA2 beta patch again allowed the mod to work in the original game and resume full time development (switching to CO at that stage meant a hell of a lot of work, especially as Canukausiuka is our lead and pretty much only coder).

Now that we've got a release for ArmA2 out we are moving development over to CO completely. The next release will be a full install version (re-binarised to avoid the issues I created in a rather rush minute last job - hence the hotfixes on the day) which will be compatible with CO and allow us to start to make use of its more interesting features, deployables, backpacks etc.

While we work to integrate what features we can of CO we are also resuming work on the units that were left out of the conversion, or new units that were unfinished in the release. The conversion to CO isn't a speedy process so the additional units aren't really a delaying factor, and it'll mean you also hopefully have some new toys to play with when it is ready.

The I44 team really isn't as big as you would expect, our actively working members number under 10 all of whom have jobs, lives, wives or children to cope with... well mostly all, myself I've been barricaded in my room sucking away at my bank balance for the last year working on them damn missions in hopes they'll score me a job doing it for a real pay-check!

So will ACE be "supported" in the future? Largely my guess would be not as you'd probably expect. Where possible I44 should function as a standalone mod, the features we intend for the user to have available for use "out of the box" as it were, and not require other mods for extended functionality. Of course the nature of ArmA 2 mods means that many are co-compatible.

Without proper testing we can't guarantee any other mod work with ours, and as you should consider the deepest testing we could really afford prior to this public release, was me going through every single unit checking every action and function manually... not fun or quick :P The thought of having to do twice the work to make sure it works with and without other things as well, is its just too much work for any number of people.

What you may see is similar features to those available from ACE available directly in the mod, either through co-operation with the ACE team or from original coding and scripting from within the I44 team. Macolik is currently playing with various ways to for infantry to deploy machineguns, and other objects.

The best way to get a certain feature you'd like to see from mod 'X' into I44? Learn how to create that feature, join the I44 team and make it with us! No one on the team really has an empty to-do list so anything new often ends up at the bottom of that list, or pushing something else further along in favour of it.

PHeW! Long one but hopefully dragged us back on topic.

Edited by PacUK

To stay back on topic, as part of making the mod playable on CO will you guys be using the built-in "sight zeroing" features from OA for tanks where currently the sight is adjusted through a mousewheel action?

What about zero-able sights for certain infantry weapons?

Just wondering if those features were part of your plans.

Small arms sight zeroing I believe is in-game and working already. Canukausiuka can probably shed some light on whats happening with regards to the tanks sights, also the modern hud's I think we'll be addressing but it depends how CO handles it as to whether they'll be possible to remove/alter for I44 content.

This is an appeal to all mission builders for i44, please make a MP capture and hold around the villages on the Omaha beach map.

To popularise this mod it is essential that MP missions are made and made simple enough for the average solo player to play.

Ive recently played one new MP TvT mission that was set at nightime and forced you to run a lot just to get to the fighting, then when you got killed it took 84 seconds to respawn, i love MP missions but that mission was awfull for a novice or average player just browsing the servers.

Now im all for tough missions that take some teamwork and guile but at this stage in the i44 mods life i think the MP missions should be simpler and accomodate solo play as well as teamwork given that the average browsing player trying a new mission will start off playing solo, teamwork can always come later.

I personally dont have the time at the moment to make missions but i will, but at this early stage in the mods life someone needs to make a good Capture and Hold MP mission or convert an existing one from the Chernarus or Takistan MP missions.

The C & H missions made by the AAS (AdvancandSecure) guys are the best in Arma IMO so a few conversions of their MP missions would be awesome and im sure would popularise this mod even more and get more playing it.

Edited by bazeye