Sign in to follow this  
SFG

Invasion 1944 - DDay 2.0

Bryce I'm not sure why our mod would be harder to install then any others as it uses a modfolder similar to the rest. As far as the patches go here are the requirements. Install the Main mod, then Patch 2.1, then Patch 2.2, then the DAC hotfix. Be sure to also check what ARMA2 version you need installed by viewing the first post. Hope that helps.

@Bryce

I can place and use the bangalores, but I can't throw the grenades or even select the mk2 grenade for example...

I even added this to the ini line of the m1garand soldier: this addmagazine "I44_HandGrenade_Mk2"

So when I press F the m1garand soldier doesn't switch from M1garand to grenades???

Is there any way to remove the wounded animation, when you get shot your guy is lying there rolling around in pain,

i can understand whats happening, but what is a player supposed to do in the meantime,

i find it rather useless unless you use revive, but revive has its own animation for that.

-Explosives don't seem to work. When i try to throw a grenade or place a Bangalore for example, nothing happens...

...Note: We are playing this mod on combined ops.

-Explosives don't work in CO as BI changed the code for grenades and satchels, when we patch in support for CO they will work.

-The weapons are very weak and have too much recoil (or the characters have too much health. It takes 3 or more Springfield rounds to kill a German rifleman.)

-The weapons are currently designed for use with our Wounding module in which the lower damage will incapicate the players and AI. However in the MP COOP missions it collided with Norrin's Revive script that I used for respawn therefore I didn't use the module for most of the COOP missions (I think OpTarbrush is the exception). We're still finding the right balance of damage to work in most situations so you should see this improve.

...The AI can hardly hit anything even at 100 meters and they don't fire off rounds fast enough. I went to the Arma 2 profile and changed accuracy to 1 for every difficulty level but still no luck. This is with just vanilla Arma 2 and no other mods but this one. I even tried with combined ops and same problem. Now i don't know if you guys wanted it to be this way for realism but compared to 31st Normandy mod, the AI in that mod can still hit just as good as standard Arma 2 AI...

-I've not had a problem with the AI's accuracy myself, snipers seem to find it pretty easy to nail me especially if I slap their skill rating up in the editor. In some cases on the missions certain pre-placed AI's have been set to hold their position, that can make them very groggy to react if not met head on by an enemy. In general editor placed AI units without waypoints or scripting can be a little slow at turning to a target. However I've found with DAC spawned troops they seem to behave the best so I'd definitely recommend using them. I will get someone to take a look though and make sure nothing is dumbing them down more than they should be. What may affect them is a combination of recoil and weapon effectiveness, these aren't the long ranged scoped weapons of ARMA2! But I'll let you know if anything pops up while we investigate.

Is there any way to remove the wounded animation, when you get shot your guy is lying there rolling around in pain,

i can understand whats happening, but what is a player supposed to do in the meantime,

i find it rather useless unless you use revive, but revive has its own animation for that.

-Not too sure what you mean, is this a specific mission? Or in general? AFAIK by default there is no wounding script in the mod it has to be manually placed as a module item in the editor. I only used it on Operation Tarbrush as far as I remember. With the I44 wounding module a medic capable soldier can heal an injured unit. For the multiplayer missions I mostly used Norrin's revive script and replaced the laying on front > roll over > lie on back animation cycle with our own wounded animations. So if you could expand on the exact issue I might be able to clear things up for you.

Edited by PacUK

Thanks for the response PacUK. I just did some more testing and realized that the inaccuracy does have to do with the weapons. I put a squad of Germans and a squad of Americans on a flat part of the beach about 100 meters apart and let them at eachother while I timed it. I then replaced all the American troops with the modern day marines with m16's. They took out the Germans in less than a quarter of the time it took during the first test. The second battle also seemed far more realistic considering the engagement range and lack of cover.

I guess not much can be done then, unless recoil or something with the weapons change. But, I guess that would ruin the intention of your mod since they are ww2 weapons and not meant to be that accurate. The only fix I can see for this would to up the skill sliders to max for every unit individually in the editor like you stated. Although time consuming, I'm sure it will be worth it to enjoy some SP battles in this great mod.

I then replaced all the American troops with the modern day marines with m16's.

Hmm interesting stuff I never got the chance to test that myself, sounds like fun! Recoil will be overhauled a lot with the upcoming CO version of the mod so hopefully we can improve on this issue soon, for now just crank that difficulty... what are ya? chicken?! :D

You guys ever thought about creating an Africa campaign?

SHUSH! I did a test with the CO maps a while back for the similiar landscape just to see the effect and our current units actually look pretty sweet in their despite our lack of desert camo and uniforms. That's the main drawback of other theaters of war is the multiple uniforms and weapons textures they would require to do them proper justice. So if you or anyone else feels up to the challenge to dusting up our entire collection of units they're very welcome to apply :D

Edited by PacUK

How did you guys do the random artillary using the German mortars, on the I44 mission I44_COOP_Paras_1-16_v1-0.I44_Omaha?

I'd like to use it or something similar for my own custom missions

I seen the trigger on the map, and the script in the files, and copied them to a mission for testing,

but nothing happened, I must be missing something.

Is there a way to single the random art out so I can use it in my own missions?

Thanks

How did you guys do the random artillary using the German mortars, on the I44 mission I44_COOP_Paras_1-16_v1-0.I44_Omaha?

The script activates when a trigger is activated,

Activation: BLUFOR - Once - Present

That means if there's and BLUEFOR units inside the trigger area it will drop rounds randomly around any of those units.

If you copied the trigger from Paras its set on a 'TIMEOUT' of 100 this means that a BLUEFOR unit must have been inside the trigger for 100 seconds before it will activate. You could use 'COUNTDOWN' instead that means a unit could enter and then leave and the counter will continue (timeout a unit must be present for the whole time). Or you could just set it to 0 for an instant reaction with either mode.

The triggers NAME is very important, its called in the script (because I was too lazy to modify it to work with any name variable). In Paras both the script and the trigger make use of the name:

Trigger name in editor: trgArty

Trigger called in script(line 3 of arty.sqf) : _trg = trgArty;

So if you wanted to have more than one zone with the script as it is you would need multiple scripts each with a different trigger name matching the triggers you had placed (for an example see my lazy job on D-Day). It's pretty easy to update the script and I will be for the next version of the release.

Hope this helps!

Edited by PacUK

Is it possible to do without complicated scripting way? For example, when the AI gunner sees the enemy troops, he would fire the mortar against them. Or an AI observer could order AI gunner to fire indirectly? For example, putting an AI obersvor in the front line.

By way, in this ARAM2 release, the map and anims for gaming balance are really very good. Almost no lagging at all when put more troops, very unlike the first release in ARMA last May. And the map is still large and very realistic for french scene. Just one thing confuses me, when putting troops in the editor window of this map, there is about two or three seconds delay. Not sure why.

Edited by FKPLACE

can someone helps me? I want to install beta patch 72588 but it says that I need 1.0.7 and my current version is 1.0.5, but its not, I have already 1.0.7 :s

EDIT: sry, I just deleted the old beta folder and it works now

Edited by SpetS15

Instead of worrying about bots, how about we spend that same amount of time in producing a true PvP MP server?

Is it possible to do without complicated scripting way? For example, when the AI gunner sees the enemy troops, he would fire the mortar against them. Or an AI observer could order AI gunner to fire indirectly? For example, putting an AI obersvor in the front line...

Our mortar engagement minimum engagement range can be a little far for this to really be possible right now they're meant more as long range support. I would hope in future they would be able to detect and fire on enemies they see and can engage though, but functionality with the artillery system for players seemed more important than AI engaging for our initial release. We'll keep you updated on it though!

Edit - Re-reading this with my sleepy head, yes you can setup indirect fire etc with the artillery module and many of the artillery scripts found on the forums, being ARMA2 there's no "simple" way everything pretty much requires something to give it pointers. AFAIK what our mortar units won't do is attack like an MG would spotting a target and firing, rather it needs to be guided by a player either directly or via SECOPs etc. Hope that makes a bit more sense... but probably even less!

..Just one thing confuses me, when putting troops in the editor window of this map, there is about two or three seconds delay. Not sure why.

Are you in that much of a rush? :D Dunno put it down to ARMA 2 taking its sweet time for now ;)

Instead of worrying about bots, how about we spend that same amount of time in producing a true PvP MP server?

Well its now 5:24am here in the UK and I'm still working on a 32 vs 32 MP mission, but it's gonna be a while before its ready, the editors right there though feel free to get cracking yourselves!

Edited by PacUK

-Explosives don't work in CO as BI changed the code for grenades and satchels, when we patch in support for CO they will work.

This is only half true. There´s something fishy going on with the inheritance in your configs, because stock ArmA2 satchels and grenades work perfectly when used with I44 units in a Combined Ops (A2&OA) environment.

Haven´t opened the i44 configs to see for myself, but switching around the baseclasses so that each one is derived from a stock ArmA2 class should fix the issue, something like that:

class cfgWeapons {

/*external class reference*/ PipeBomb;
   /*external class reference*/ Mine;
   /*external class reference*/ HandGrenade;

class I44_Item_M1A1Bangalore: PipeBomb {};

class I44_Mine_AT_M1: Mine {};

class I44_HandGrenade_No82: HandGrenade {};

etc.

};

That way your weapons will inherit all functions from their respective parent class, while you still have the possibility to add/change every value inside the brackets that i left empty out of simlpicity.

This is only half true. There´s something fishy going on with the inheritance in your configs, because stock ArmA2 satchels and grenades work perfectly when used with I44 units in a Combined Ops (A2&OA) environment.

As far as I'm aware the stock ArmA2 satchels are updated in CO to use the new commands as are grenades (e.g. theres an over-riding copy of the item with the expansion) so you have them working in both environments. As we have only coded for ArmA2 in this release, they just don't work. We have them working in CO in our team builds its a simple code fix, but that version likewise does not work back in the ArmA2 version.

As far as I'm aware the stock ArmA2 satchels are updated in CO to use the new commands as are grenades (e.g. theres an over-riding copy of the item with the expansion) so you have them working in both environments. As we have only coded for ArmA2 in this release, they just don't work. We have them working in CO in our team builds its a simple code fix, but that version likewise does not work back in the ArmA2 version.

afaik theres no overriding going on, pipebombs and handgrenades in A2 and OA share the same classnames after all , thus a weapon derived from class PipeBomb should function the same way no matter what game you start it in, right? :confused:

Looking at the config reveals some oddities, that maybe only stand out because i don´t know what im talking about .. but let´s make a guess :D

TimeBombCore --> TimeBomb --> I44_I --> I44_I_M1A1Bangalore

These are all classes your bangalores inherit from. It´s only one example of where your config goes the lenghty way through the whole class tree when you could´ve just derived bangalore from timebomb, without loading any ***Core values at all. Now i don´t know the reasons for this approach, and i haven´t checked what it´s about with the timebombs and if they´re even working anymore, haven´t used one since OFP lol ... but assuming they don´t work so well i´d bet that changing the inheritance to just PipeBomb --> I44_I_M1A1Bangalore would make it work in both A2 and CO.

edit: hmm. tried a quick rewrite, didn´t work :(

Edited by Mr Burns

Would it be possible to lower the tank turret turning sound?

Too me it sounds strange that it "out loud" the engine noise.

wY_5c0mBXok

Now tell me you would hear the tank turret turning louder than that???

Also have two aesthetic comments for the Tiger 2.

-----------------------------------------------

- On the Tiger 2 barrel there is like a zillion strips. These strips reflect 10 armor kills pr stripe. Considering how late the T2 came into service I find it a little unrealistic that every T2 in the mod is a "Michael Wittman". removing half of em would be realistic, I think.

- On the left side of the T2 there is a 2d cable (the towing cable). It would look allot better if it was modeled similar to the T1s ingame. Its to huge to look good with a 2d effect, i think.

On the Wittman comment. Any chance getting a late model Tiger 1 "007" marked tank?

Edited by JojoTheSlayer

First of all: Great mod, many thanks for the release! :bounce3:

One very minor question:

Are you sure about the model of the silenced Sten gun?

To me the barrel seems to be too long. It looks like it has actually two silencers. I think the brown part in the middle _is_ the real silencer. (I remember having read that the Sten silencer was made of leather and could burn after rapid fire.)

Best regards

A.

Would it be possible to lower the tank turret turning sound?

Yeah they were found and added last minute so didn't get the tweaking they needed for volume levels so they will be adjusted!

Are you sure about the model of the silenced Sten gun?

Pretty sure...

silenced-sten-new-spec.jpg

The "leather" was a canvas wrap used to help disperse the heat in the silencer as the increased temperature would wear down the silencer's barrel (especially in full auto mode).

afaik theres no overriding going on, pipebombs and handgrenades in A2 and OA share the same classnames after all ,

I'm not a coder by any length so I was 5am in the morning guessing with that, i did a bit of digging and I think it has something to do with new Throw Grenade and Plant Satchel charge commands used in CO. Either way there's very little point in discussing it as like I said we have it patched fixed and working fine for CO. If you're fretting because you're running the mod in CO, well its your choice, we recommend the A2 Beta patch 72588 and give instructions on its installation in the readme. We WILL be moving development over to CO very soon or rather, we already have done and once its ready we'll be releasing it.

Edited by PacUK

Firstly the mod is fantastic, ive lost count of the number of "Private Ryan" moments ive had since it was released.

Secondly, would it be possible to create a function where if you had an AI squad under your command you could move into any one of your troops and "posses" them, then move and position them where you want them, then move into another one leaving the previous one retaining the posture and direction you placed it in.

I ask this because i always find AI cumbersome and distracting to order around as they often get stuck in terrain, cannot enter buildings or take up keyhole defensive positions without lots of time consuming micro management (sometimes thats to no avail either)

A feature like the one i have posited would allow all the AI in a squad to be "intelligent" because they would be you ;) and also allow a craftier approach to defence and a stealthier approach to attacking.

If there is anyone out there that could script this and put it in the mod please do so :)

Pretty sure...

The "leather" was a canvas wrap used to help disperse the heat in the silencer as the increased temperature would wear down the silencer's barrel (especially in full auto mode).

Best informed, I see... :)

Thanks for the info!

A.

I've noticed using the I44 units on Chernarus that they don't engage each other until they're far too close. I've seen tanks get within 500 meters of each other in open terrain before they start taking shots, and I've emptied an M1 clip at enemy patrols at 200 meters without them even responding to the fire. I'm using the Arma2 beta patch with no mods other than I44 to get these results.

Are you guys going to up the range that I44 units attack each other?

The grenades and satchels don't work under CO because the CO pbo is loaded after the I44 pbo (best I can tell). When that happens, it overwrites the changes I had to make to the "put" and "throw" weapons. The new version will simply force the CO pbo to load first, and it works fine. But I couldn't include that line in the pbo and maintain ArmA2 compatibility.

B/C the next patch will be for ArmA2+CO, it will contain this fix.

I'll see about looking into engagement distances, but I've not had big problems with this (except the tanks... I have had trouble getting them to detect and shoot one another)

Are you guys going to up the range that I44 units attack each other?

I haven't really had problems with this either, you could try adding this line to units initialisation:

UnitName setskill ["spotDistance",1];

That sets the unit to be able to engage at its maximum viewable distance regardless of its actual skill level set in the editor. Can be very useful if you want a low skill unit manning an MG to spray rather than snipe as their low skill can be used to make them miss, while this setting ensures that even though not highly skilled they are highly aware. Hope that helps some!

Hey pak, in response to your one post:

The script activates when a trigger is activated,

Activation: BLUFOR - Once - Present

That means if there's and BLUEFOR units inside the trigger area it will drop rounds randomly around any of those units.

If you copied the trigger from Paras its set on a 'TIMEOUT' of 100 this means that a BLUEFOR unit must have been inside the trigger

for 100 seconds before it will activate. You could use 'COUNTDOWN' instead that means a unit could enter and then leave and the

counter will continue (timeout a unit must be present for the whole time). Or you could just set it to 0 for an instant reaction with either mode.

The triggers NAME is very important, its called in the script (because I was too lazy to modify it to work with any name variable).

In Paras both the script and the trigger make use of the name:

Trigger name in editor: trgArty

Trigger called in script(line 3 of arty.sqf) : _trg = trgArty;

So if you wanted to have more than one zone with the script as it is you would need multiple scripts each with a different

trigger name matching the triggers you had placed (for an example see my lazy job on D-Day). It's pretty easy to update

the script and I will be for the next version of the release.

Hope this helps!

The art wont work.

heres what i got setup, same town as that mission, same debree, and I have a marker setup for respawn_west

and 3 US inf soldiers, all playable, and 1 of them as player.

I have a trigger it is set to:

Bluefor: Present

name of the triiger is: trgArty

on activation: Nul = execVM "scripts\arty\arty.sqf";

the script: arty

if(!isServer) exitWith{};
private ["_trg", "_round", "_alpha", "_bravo", "_loc", "_delay"];
_trg = trgArty;
_round = "I44_S_81L14_WGr34";
_alpha = ((triggerArea _trg) select 0);
_bravo = ((triggerArea _trg) select 1);
_loc = getPos _trg;
while {triggerActivated trgArty} do {
_round createVehicle [(_loc select 0) + _alpha - random (_alpha * 2),(_loc select 1) + _bravo - random (_bravo * 2), 600];

_delay = 13 - random 5;
sleep _delay;
};

is in my missions folder for mp, I make mp missions all the time but the art will not fall, and Im in the trigger,

i start in the trigger, times are set to 0.

Theres nothing else on the map, just the trigger and what I listed above.

Any ideas why it wont work?