Sign in to follow this  
kyfohatl

Advanced Scripting Guide(s)?

I think (/hope) I have a good understanding of the bsics of scripting (mainly SQF), and I'm looking for a guide that explores the more advanced functions and commands. Know any? I've searched both the OFPEC and BI forums, and though I could find some guides on individual commands, I couldn't find any "complete" advanced scripting guide if you know what I mean. Found alot of basic scripting guides thoug...

Thanks

I think (/hope) I have a good understanding of the bsics of scripting (mainly SQF), and I'm looking for a guide that explores the more advanced functions and commands. Know any? I've searched both the OFPEC and BI forums, and though I could find some guides on individual commands, I couldn't find any "complete" advanced scripting guide if you know what I mean. Found alot of basic scripting guides thoug...

Thanks

Hi,

This is your best friend:

Biki

_neo_

Basic.. advanced... there really is not a huge difference when it comes to scripting/SQF. Once you figure out the basic stuff, advanced is just using all the basics in more complex ways etc. :)

Something that might be considered as advanced is understanding locality and other stuff that multiplayer brings along.

Almost no command is advanced by itself.

As SHK says multiplayer (locality, jip) would be good to learn. Also I learnt quite a bit from looking most of domination, and a bit of ACE.

The biki is deffinately very useful, and I use it alot. In fact the reason why I was looking for an advanced scripting guide was that there were a few things that I didn't understand, couldn't find anything about in the biki/basic guides, and yet they were used alot. Anyway, I might as well just ask about them:

1. The word "null" (just by itself, not objNull) seems to be used alot, either as a local variable (_null), or as a global one, or as other things. What is its significance?

2. I couldn't find the display ID for the map (to be used in displayAddEventHandler in the findDisplay part). Since advance scripting guides might containt information on displayAddEventHandler, I thought they might also have somesort of an ID list for each display as the biki din't have one.

Also I learnt quite a bit from looking most of domination, and a bit of ACE.

Yeah, I tried to learn by looking at Silola's DAC scripts, but I could understand very little. The biki didn't help much (it could explain each individual command, but I couldn't figure how they worked together). So I went looking for an advanced scripting guide.

Thanks for the replies

Edited by kyfohatl

1. The word "null" (just by itself, not objNull) seems to be used alot, either as a local variable (_null), or as a global one, or as other things. What is its significance?

The engine let's you do that but it's just bad coding to use null as a variable. However, in most cases it works just fine since most variable types have their own nulls; objNull, taskNull etc. There shouldn't be need to use it anyway, since you check it with isNull command.

Advanced scripting guide? Domination ;) Pretty much my teacher...

Hi CarlGustaffa,

What do you mean by that?

_neo_