Sign in to follow this  
Shomer

Opfor

Wouldn't it be nicer to have OPFOR and BLUFOR as a foreign key instead of a primary key?

That you could pick any side and define OPFOR or BLUFOR to them on a later stage.

Especially now in the days where the NATO, the EU and the Russian Federation consider eachother as friendly and the latter negotiating to join or at least cooperate with both the NATO and EU.

i would like a setting on each 'faction' , that allows you to set the side to side 1, 2, , 3, 4, etc. and you can also set relations .., like fire on sight, fire only if fire upon ..

Right, nobody can get mad because they get virtually kicked in the bottoms by NATO in the campaign :D.

Saw some suggestions about a North Korea mod. Maybe if not directly NK, but a fictional East-Asian themed army (with influences/equipment drawn from NK, China and Vietnam) complemented with a modern VC-like guerilla force might be an idea for a next OPFOR faction.

A sri Lanka war mod/dlc/expansion.

It lasted for 30 bloody years! And no one notices it.

I support the idea for choosing side for a country/faction. We have seen the russians too many time on the opfor side. Todays opposing forces are mostly guerillas & insurgents from a country. Not a specific country. Altough you could play on opfor side as the russians and be the "good guy" but in a game like this, there is not many factions that really belong to the opfor side which still is on bluefor.

understand what I am trying to say here? :D

A sri Lanka war mod/dlc/expansion.

It lasted for 30 bloody years! And no one notices it.

Was thinking about not real armies, but influenced by real armies. Except for Russians, BI tends to make only fictional armies (countries) for OPFOR, doubt it'll change in the future (maybe with the exception of China).

Altough you could play on opfor side as the russians and be the "good guy" but in a game like this, there is not many factions that really belong to the opfor side which still is on bluefor.

understand what I am trying to say here?

Repeat your last please, it's coming in weak and barely readable :D

I also support the idea of choosing the country \ faction. Next OPFOR should be like: M-60 a3, AMX-30, T80 \ T72, M113 variants (exTOW, mortal), btr-80, VBA, VBL versions, Unimog and Tatra trucks for suport, RM-70 Multiple rocket launcher, 9K33 Osa AA, HK G3 assault rifle, Steyr AUG for Special Forces, HK 21, Mg 3, Steyr HS .50 sniper rifle anti-materiel, M151 MUTT and Land

Rover versions, PZL W-3 Sokół, utility helicopters Mi -8 ... ah dreams !!!

I agree, they should just eliminate the Blufor and Opfor, and add inside the Mission Editor what side factions are on and allow customization of specific units on what side they're on. In the mission editor, it should be like in the mission options:

Set side of factions:

US Army 1 2 3 4

USMC 1 2 3 4

Russia 1 2 3 4

Takistan Insurgents 1 2 3 4

Takistani Army 1 2 3 4

Chedaki insurgents 1 2 3 4

CDF 1 2 3 4

Civilians 1 2 3 4

Animals 1 2 3 4

For example, if US Army and USMC were both selected on the number 2 side, they would be considered allied to each other and shoot units that were not on the number 2 side. If US Army was 1 and USMC was 2, then they would be hostile to each other and vice versa.

It would be very awesome to allow custom relationships with specific units as well. All you would do is just select on an individual unit, and change his relationship number so we could have maybe a renegade loose US Army squad that shot civilians or people from his faction.

I know this probably has been told, but why should be this implemented, when in the editor you can set friendship to any faction/subfaction very simply ("setFriend" command for example)? Only thing that there only can be three sides. Or if you wish for a clan-based relationship like in STALKER series, I'm not sure wether such thing is really necessary and is the scope of the basic game.

I know this probably has been told, but why should be this implemented, when in the editor you can set friendship to any faction/subfaction very simply ("setFriend" command for example)? Only thing that there only can be three sides. Or if you wish for a clan-based relationship like in STALKER series, I'm not sure wether such thing is really necessary and is the scope of the basic game.

Just for convenience really, in fact that's what the editor is, a convenience tool. It's possible to setPos any unit, but it's easier to plop it down right in the editor :)

Plus, if it's already supported via script then it should be a very easy fix.

Guys pls think of Peacemaking Wars

but not war against non-NATO countries?

Didn't you realise that both Chernerus and Takistani are based on Confict resolving operations much like peacekeeping mission.

Don't talk sensitive issues here, coz nobody likes to hear criticisations from others about their country etc.

Just a gentle reminder to all

Edited by avengerzx

Arma needs more military powers like China, India, UK, France, Germany, Japan, Pakistan, Brazil, Turkey, and maybe Iran, Venezuela, Cuba and Nkoreea, what is a military simulation without powerfull countries who can make a serious war, not talibans and minor nation like chernarusia(georgia) and takistan( Irak/afganistan), wil be nice if they will make an expansion with ww3 like NATO vs SCO or bigger

That's -way- too many powers to be asking of BI, You're just listing a bunch of countries with large armies, that's too much to ask of even a modding community.

Personally I think that Arma III will be going back to it's original themes of having some fictional country. Portraying China or Iran is a large risk as those countries generally take huge offense to it, There were riots in Tehran after that Dutch cartoonist did the Mohammed thing. and that was just a comic book.

Russia on the other hand doesnt really take offense to it, because if they did there would have been a shitstorm by now, theres been more games then I can care to count that portrayed Russia and the west fighting, ArmA II,The last two Call of duty games, Bad company, I know some people feel the Russia vs America theme has been overdone, But I never get tired of it so long as it's done right.

My first thoughts of this "Eastern armies" was immediatley to start thinking of a combined force of Russians and Chinese or something, but the thing you have to consider is, for every nationality they add, they need to do loads of work on each faction's soldiers, vehicles, weapons, not to mention probably voiceovers for each country, you wouldnt want British or German soldiers speaking in a redneck american accent would you.

Lastly, my two cents on things are, if people are Bawwing because they thought the enemy side was going to be China, Russia, Iran whatever. and it turns out not to be, get over it, that's what the modding community is for, In the meantime dont be skeptical and just be patient, the game was only announced a little while ago

Edited by Kastrenzo

I agree, they should just eliminate the Blufor and Opfor, and add inside the Mission Editor what side factions are on and allow customization of specific units on what side they're on. In the mission editor, it should be like in the mission options:

Set side of factions:

US Army 1 2 3 4

USMC 1 2 3 4

Russia 1 2 3 4

Takistan Insurgents 1 2 3 4

Takistani Army 1 2 3 4

Chedaki insurgents 1 2 3 4

CDF 1 2 3 4

Civilians 1 2 3 4

Animals 1 2 3 4

For example, if US Army and USMC were both selected on the number 2 side, they would be considered allied to each other and shoot units that were not on the number 2 side. If US Army was 1 and USMC was 2, then they would be hostile to each other and vice versa.

It would be very awesome to allow custom relationships with specific units as well. All you would do is just select on an individual unit, and change his relationship number so we could have maybe a renegade loose US Army squad that shot civilians or people from his faction.

Interesting concept, although I think the sides should be chosen by country and not by military branch. Though, the prospect of the U.S. Army fighting the USMC is pretty entertaining. :D

Im bored with blufor/opfor, would be nice to have more variation in factions, the ability to change who's friendly from the editor and let us make our own stories... but this game is just about promoting US and British forces, everything else comes second.

I agree, why cant I select the opfor voices from the profiles tab.

BIS gave us Chedakis and CDF some 500 years ago - how many missions have you seen with these ever since, especially online?

3 sides, but there're more than dozen countries in each. And not all of them may be friendly to each other IRL. And, on the countrary, countries that are located on different sides, may be friendly IRL now.

Just imagine, how something like SFOR may be recreated in A2? It can't be recreated fully.