Sign in to follow this  
Rhodite

Grounded British Sub

I found this funny.

The navy spends alot of money on vessels like that. Can't they at least put a guy that can read a map in charge of them? :P

First the Nimrods "down", now the HMS Astute on the rocks... Maybe tomorrow you will see some happy Akula's jumping around England, Wales and Scotland? :cool:

Surely it's embarrassing to them.

But when travelling by ship in the Finnish Archipelago in South-West Finland I've been amazed at how there are not more accidents than there are... because the place is littered with small islands and at places it's really tight to get a ship through. It's amazing they don't crash more often. And usually it's some foreign ship which has problems here.

So, all-in-all, I think they are actually doing a pretty good job. I wouldn't think of this particular accident as a very big deal. And it's better they have such accidents in testing than when on more important missions.

First the Nimrods "down", now the HMS Astute on the rocks... Maybe tomorrow you will see some happy Akula's jumping around England, Wales and Scotland? :cool:

Tomorrow?

They were doing it last month.

Russian subs stalk Trident in echo of Cold War

Published: 10:37PM BST 27 Aug 2010

Russian submarines are hunting down British Vanguard boats in a return to Cold War tactics not seen for 25 years, Navy chiefs have warned.

Thomas Harding, Defence Correspondent

A specially upgraded Russian Akula class submarine has been caught trying to record the acoustic signature made by the Vanguard submarines that carry Trident nuclear missiles, according to senior Navy officers.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/politics/defence/7969017/Russian-subs-stalk-Trident-in-echo-of-Cold-War.html

I think the Russians like to joyride cold war style anytime they save up enough gas to make the trip.

Speaking to the BBC last month, HMS Astute's commanding officer, Commander Andy Coles, said:

"We have a brand new method of controlling the submarine, which is by platform management system, rather than the old conventional way of doing everything of using your hands. This is all fly-by-wire technology including only an auto pilot rather than a steering column." :D

HyperU2 guess US forces are playing similar games...

So, British auto-pilot systems suck...

HyperU2 guess US forces are playing similar games...

As are British subs. You only hear the bad news.

Astute should adopt the Skye Boat Song as its unofficial anthem. :p

So, British auto-pilot systems suck...

They also do it between NATO forces. E.g. in a reportage on the U-Boats they had some british sub hunter helicopter trying to collect data on the german fuel cell boats. Well, at least that's what they said/assumed...