Sign in to follow this  
CoolSpy

Saving coop missions in progress on dedicated server ?!

Hello,

My friends and I have great fun with the coop missions and since so far I used to host, we used the SAVE feature alot!

Now, I read somewhere that on dedicated server this option is no more available !!! I would like to have a confirmation and I thought that maybe a script or a tool exists to give us a similar feature.

Without this option, I don't think we would make the move to a dedicated server since that would take alot of the fun away from the game.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Note that some missionmakers (me included) disable the saving option from MPmissions.

I use it simply because I take missions like movies.

One should watch them in one go.

Hi

What you can do, in the server.cfg there is a code that you can add or enable

If its not in the cfg already then you can add it, but it is:

persistent = 1; Enables or disables the persistent battlefield. Default = 0.

What this does is when you and your friends have all left the server then the mission your playing will continue to run,

it wont stop or shutdown, or reset, you can come back the next day and go to where to left off. this is a great code for

coop missions like Evo blue, Domination and even Warfare.

To edit the server.cfg you will have to shut the server down,

take the cfg off the server and

open it with notepad and

then make the changes and

then reupload it to the server,

then restart the server.

from there any mission you play whether you want to keep running or not will stay running til you

restart the server or change mission from the server settings on the map during gameplay,

but you'll need to login to be admin of the server to do that.

More information on server codes, and so forth can be found here:

http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/server.cfg

http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/ArmA:_Dedicated_Server

If however you want to actually save a mission during play well, as far as I know you cannot save,

I dont actually recall seeing anything for mp missions for saving it is possible I would think to script a

saving process but I never have seen any scripts or anything for

saving on a dedicated via script. Persistent might be your best bet.

Hope that helps.

Tanks for your answers.

Then maybe the solution is to be able to respawn infinitely, if this is can be forced in any mission with some tool.

Then maybe the solution is to be able to respawn infinitely

Respawn really dont have anything to do with saving, or keeping the mission running.

The code I listed before is a code that enables the mission to keep ru8nning even though no one is on the server,

and then you can go right back to where you left off.

As for respawn thats a whole another thing, no tool needed otrher then armaedit to create a description file.

but in your mission you would have to decide on how

you want to respawn, there are many ways to do it, but the basics I will list below:

Respawn

respawn = RespawnType;

respawnDelay = DelayInSeconds;

respawnVehicleDelay = DelayInSeconds;

respawnDialog = 0; // Show the scoreboard and respawn countdown timer for a

player if he is killed with respawnType 3. Default is 1 (true).

RespawnType Description

0 or "NONE" No respawn

1 or "BIRD" Respawn as a seagull

2 or "INSTANT" Respawn just where you died.

3 or "BASE" Respawn in base. Requires a marker named:

* respawn_west

* respawn_east

* respawn_guerrila

* respawn_civilian

Add markers named with the prefix 'respawn_west' with any suffix (eg: respawn_westABC, respawn_west1,

respawn_west_2, etc) for multiple random respawn points. Similarly for east, guerrila and civilian.

Vehicle respawn in base requires a marker named:

* respawn_vehicle_west

* respawn_vehicle_east

* respawn_vehicle_guerrila

* respawn_vehicle_civilian

4 or "GROUP" Respawn in your group (if there's no AI left, you'll become a seagull).

5 or "SIDE" Respawn into an AI unit on your side (if there's no AI left, you'll become a seagull) -

implemented in ArmA 1.08: with this respawn type, team switch is also available to any AI controlled playable units.

The way respawn works is when you build an MP mission you have to include a description ext file,

its basically a script that tells Arma2 how you will respawn.

When you build an mp mission this description script is included in the folder of your mission,

so basically you have to indicate how you wish to respawn, by default when you die you will respawn as a bird.

If you wanted to respawn at a base then you create a marker and then when you die you will

respawn at that marker, and the marker can be anywhere you want. the code for that marker is

what is important too, for example if you guys are playing as Blufor then the marker name will be

Respawn_West, if your play as OPFOR then Respawn_east, ect.,

pretty much what it said above:

Respawn in base. Requires a marker named:

* respawn_west

* respawn_east

* respawn_guerrila

* respawn_civilian

If you wanted instant respawn where when you die, you would respawn instantly where you died,

and then you can determine how long before you respawn which would be this number:

respawn = INSTANT;

respawnDelay = 5;

here is what the typical basic description ext looks like in code:

respawn = base;

respawndelay = 5;

respawndialog =0;

class header {

gametype = coop;

maxplayers = 3;

minplayers = 1;

};

That is all you need to put in a description file to respawn. You can change those numbers,

if you play with 5 guys then change maxplayers = 3; 3 to 5.

and theres no limit unless you indicate somewhere, which I forget how to do.

Any other ideas, or questions that you are pondering about MP coop, then dont hesitate to ask,

if I cant tell you then I know plenty of folks on the forums here that can.

Edited by Gnter Severloh

Note that some missionmakers (me included) disable the saving option from MPmissions.

I use it simply because I take missions like movies.

One should watch them in one go.

You are right but sometimes is also nice to be able to save the progress if you have to conquer 12 towns :)

Do you guys know if Domination 2 for Arma 3 has the possiblity to be hosted without dedi server, and if it's possible to save the progress? (like the good old domination for arma 2)

thanks