Sign in to follow this  
jpinard

When you want to complain about DLC, check Sims 3 & Civ V

So Take2/Firaxis has settled on $5 per Civ price-point. EA/Maxis charges on average a dollar per unique item. For the core production of these elements it's about 2-3 days work for their dev teams. Testing is almost unnecessary as they're such basic elements.

So when people complain about DLC here, I'd really like you all to look at the rest of the industry and understand how much value BIS is offering compared to the competition. You don't have to like DLC, but I'd hope you'd appreciate the amount of work that goes into it compared to what a lot of other studios deliver.

Heh, Valve are even cashing in on custom hats!! Money doesn't get any easier than that.

Agreed. I stopped playing Team Fortress 2 when they came out with the "pay to win" patch.

I used to be a Civ fan, but this latest one just lost the feeling of being Civ. I'm firmly against prepaying for extra content now.

There's no arguing the value of what I get with BIS products; I feel like they run a very fairly priced model for their product and I will continue to support their DLC.

Heh, Valve are even cashing in on custom hats!! Money doesn't get any easier than that.

Oh please, be real! For 3 years now TF2 has been getting numerous updates, all for free. Plust you can still find all that stuff without buying any of it and most of it is just cosmetic in nature anyway. If someone wants to pay for that, more power to them.

Agreed. I stopped playing Team Fortress 2 when they came out with the "pay to win" patch.

Yeah right, as if there really was that much of a difference. I have all added weapons (except for the latest stuff) and I honestly prefer the original ones in most cases. If you suck at the game, no amount of money you throw at it will make a difference, "pay to win" indeed!

Oh please, be real! For 3 years now TF2 has been getting numerous updates, all for free. Plust you can still find all that stuff without buying any of it and most of it is just cosmetic in nature anyway. If someone wants to pay for that, more power to them.

Yeah right, as if there really was that much of a difference. I have all added weapons (except for the latest stuff) and I honestly prefer the original ones in most cases. If you suck at the game, no amount of money you throw at it will make a difference, "pay to win" indeed!

I'm happy for you. Seriously.

Most companies would charge $20 - $30 for boh's british dcl.

No, they would call it addon/expansion and charge full game price, or at least $39.99..They charge you $15.00 for 4 small map packs nowadays, and they are not giving you tools for editing either.BIS is one of rare companies that i would give extra money to.

Why? Because if they don't stick around, alternative is Dragon Risings or CoDs of the world..If that doesn't scare people enough , then i don't know what would.

Edited by tariq071

No, they would call it addon/expansion and charge full game price, or at least $39.99..They charge you $15.00 for 4 small map packs nowadays, and they are not giving you tools for editing either.BIS is one of rare companies that i would give extra money to.

Why? Because if they don't stick around, alternative is Dragon Risings or CoDs of the world..If that doesn't scare people enough , then i don't know what would.

Starcraft 2 is, in my opinion, a rather embarassing example of that.

So Take2/Firaxis has settled on $5 per Civ price-point.

Wasn't aware of that. Considering deinstalling Civ5 now, and I'm a long time fan of the series. Even Bethesda has become quite shameless wrt the concept of DLCs.

Starcraft 2 is, in my opinion, a rather embarassing example of that.

Yah, well i never got it ,so wouldn't know. Didn't feel like paying full priced game per each faction.

Seriously, BIS gives you content and tools for minimal fee , i don't see any issue with that.

Yah, well i never got it ,so wouldn't know. Didn't feel like paying full priced game per each faction.

Seriously, BIS gives you content and tools for minimal fee , i don't see any issue with that.

Agreed.

Well maybe soon players will even like to pay only for concepts... :rolleyes:

Imho some publishers/developers are only trying to see how far they can go.

Stimulate players own ego with achievements, medals and career/promotion features can/will make some additional profit.

Lets see if BIS is going to milk their own customers sooner or later. Perhaps with "core upgrades only via DLC"?

Well maybe soon players will even like to pay only for concepts... :rolleyes:

Imho some publishers/developers are only trying to see how far they can go.

Stimulate players own ego with achievements, medals and career/promotion features can/will make some additional profit.

Lets see if BIS is going to milk their own customers sooner or later. Perhaps with "core upgrades only via DLC"?

Achievements? Of what? Virtual world that doesn't mean absolutely anything IRL and in general? I fail to see why would that create sensation of accomplishment for anyone but personally insecure people/kids.

I guess that's why i never got any console, i don't need self padding on my shoulder type of "you are a good boy, people just misunderstood you..."

I like the way BIS puts the DLC also in their patches so you are not forced to buy it in order to play with each other. And if you don't buy it the textures take a lot of time to load ;)

Hey, I didn't say it was a bad idea! It's genius. True, you have to be pretty daft to pay real money for a virtual hat. But you can't deny it's very easy money for Valve.

parasite_hat_large.png