Sign in to follow this  
Seil

WotG Realism Platform WIP

We are currently working on a number of upgrades and fixes for the Arrowhead / Combined Ops platform. The aim of this project is to bring realistic capabilities to ArmA where it is definitely missing. Some of this is adding new features, a lot of it is reconfiguring existing units and equipment to reflect real life attributes.

The first preview of this project is the beta of our M134 upgrade. The M134 has been adjusted in a number of ways, including:

Real magazine sizes

More realistic rate of fire (within the limits of the ArmA2 engine)

Adjusting the M134 to more correctly be an area effect weapon rather than a point effect weapon

Correcting the weapon's method of firing and using ammunition to increase the number of rounds ACTUALLY being fired down range

Correcting tracer quantity to allow for accurate Aim-By-Tracer capability (Yes there will be available option to use the M134 without tracers for those want such a loadout)

Added impact effects

Adjusted deflection angles to more accurately see large volumes of the rounds deflect off the target

Stabilized turret

Increased turret spin speed for smoother targeting

Adjusted penetration values for more accurate terminal ballistics of AP rounds

And more

Our beta version of the M134 is running on the beta upgrade of the UH-1Y which has the following corrections:

Ability to carry both the 7 and 19 count rocket pods

FLIR added to nose mounted sniper cam (OA retro-fit)

Countermeasures added (OA retro-fit)

Inclusion of WotG upgraded M134 on both door guns

New FFAR launcher weapon (more details to come soon)

Added ability to carry backpacks in cargo (OA retro-fit)

Added door ledge seating for 1 person on each side of the chopper

And more

We have not nor at this time plan on creating or modifying the models or textures of the Venom or M134, these changes are entirely functionality not appearance. We would really love to realistically modify the UH1Y and other choppers flight characteristics to be much closer to real life, however are unable to do so without editing the model. Creating an all new model for every aircraft is a lot of work that we would love to do, but don't currently have the time for.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The upgraded FFAR Launcher's Features:

Real fire modes: Single, Double and Salvo

Multiple Rocket Types: HEDP (10 and 17 "Pounders", HEAT, Flechette, White Phosphorus and Smoke

Released Demonstration Teaser Videos:

M134 Upgrade Teaser

AH-6J Little Bird equipped with upgraded M134 and FFAR Launcher

WotG Realism Platform Teaser Videos (YouTube)

-Seil

Edited by Seil

-Seil

Wow, thanks SO MUCH. I was always extremly annoyed that the M134 ingame is just a M60 with a slightly higher rate of fire, and often you have to turn it over a line of enemys multiple times until you hit them all. Even if they are like two meters away. -_-

Very nice. Yeah the minigun is a joke in ArmA 2. The power, the display, and even the sound which is just a silent "pfffffffrrrrt" and no way near the original.

Liking the sound of this big time. Especially enjoyed the video demo! :D

Thank you everyone for great feedback. We have more on the way, MUCH MUCH more. The M134s have already been loaded onto other platforms in addition to the UH-1Y, namely the little birds, which is just.......... amazing. Also have rebuilt a new FFAR Launcher weapon class, new upgrades to the AH1Z, and we're just barely scratching the surface, will be releasing more details asap!

Thanks again!

-Seil

Yeah I agree the vanilla M134 is a joke. But why? Surely there must be some reason for it. With all that youtube material floating around, I'm sure BIS didn't miss how it looks like in real life. My first thought is multiplayer overhead. With all these bullets flying around, does anything bad happen in MP as a result of it?

I did consider "fixing" it myself, but by letting the ROF be what it is and instead go with tracer for every round. Lack of them is what makes the gun useless. High ROF (isn't it also a FPS limitation going on here) can be countered using slightly more damaging bullets (like the Shilka approach).

It looks good though, no question about that.

Use a proxy. Like Foxyproxy for Firefox.

I installed it too, but where to find a free proxy service which isn't blocking video-sites?

Thank you everyone for great feedback. We have more on the way, MUCH MUCH more. The M134s have already been loaded onto other platforms in addition to the UH-1Y, namely the little birds, which is just.......... amazing. Also have rebuilt a new FFAR Launcher weapon class, new upgrades to the AH1Z, and we're just barely scratching the surface, will be releasing more details asap!

Thanks again!

-Seil

Could you do it with separate addons? Like an M134.pbo, a FFAR.pbo, in case someone like or doesnt like a particular modification?

I installed it too, but where to find a free proxy service which isn't blocking video-sites?

Copy + Paste + Check....If not working:

Sorry there is no other way as far as I know.

I'll upload a copy of the video to our web server in a bit when I get back home. I'd appreciate it if everyone used Youtube rather than our web server to get the video, but for those who are having issues I don't want to stop them from seeing the video.

Carl:

There's a reason it's still in beta and hasn't been released, pretty much thorough testing. :D

We've experienced no issues thus far with lag or load with the volume of fire coming from these guns in our testings. We test in both SP and MP and on both listen and dedicated servers with a large array of internet connections and everything has been smooth as butter so far.

Yes there is a limitation to the number of rounds that can be fired from a gun based on the engine's frame loop. Our mod doesn't get around that issue. There are things that BIS could've configured themselves to achieve a higher "true" ROF with the miniguns had they tried or decided to. I'm unsure as to why they didn't.

Our miniguns are not firing at a constant 4000 rpm right now, they fire somewhere between 3000 to 4000 depending on the engine's ability to, in effect "keep up" ;) The average rate of fire that is being achieved is about 3700 rpm. We can't really "lock" the ROF to 4000 for various reasons, but we're letting it run up to 4000 for the events in which it can be possible. It is a known limitation, however the current config we have running is a night and day difference on our firepower down range.

The entire point of the M134 is to have a large volume of fire down range as an area effect weapon. Without having that, you might as well use an M240 or M2. We really have no interest in the M134 if it cannot do what it is supposed to do, on the other hand if it can do what it is supposed to do, it is a very powerful weapon to have. That being said, I can say we're pretty sure it can do what it's supposed to at this stage of the ever evolving ArmA platform.

The tracers are indeed important, but even every round being a tracer in the current BIS config, you still have a tiny amount of fire going down range in comparison to what it should be.

Altimeter:

I cannot say how the file structure will be of the mod at this time, because we're still putting that together, but I can say that our method of structure is designed to be modular in a way that you can easily use a part of the entire package without being forced to use it all. More details on that will come soon.

-Seil

Edited by Seil

Sorry Robert,

I'm not a big fan of ACE..... in either event, we should definitely talk you and I.... and thank you on the compliment :D

HUGE fan btw, we are truly in debt to you and your work, thank you.

fyi to everyone: The M134 mod isn't the WotG Realism Platform Mod...... it's a fraction of it. We have another video about to be released, hopefully be uploaded today, it should already be done on cutting.

-Seil

Looking spot on, much more like the real weapon. Regards the RoF if realism is your thing and the game engine gives issues keep in mind that the M134 in its latest form the DC battery powered M134D produced by Dillon Aero has a fixed nominal rate of fire of 3000RPM. Seems no point pushing up towards 4000rpm if it will give problems. I should be getting my eyes on the M134D for real sometime before Xmas, only got some "old fashioned" AC guns at work at the moment.

Great job! It is "little" changes like this that really improve the game.

Any chance you'll be giving some splash damage to the Apache's 30mm?

Also, I'd like to see a result more like this from the A-10's nose cannon...

S3oZP2tEbH4

(at about 00:20)

Yessir!

We are working on a large number of things. Terribly sorry about the delays, our next video has had some issues that should be taken care of now and online soon, I keep telling everyone to look for it, and we keep delaying it. My apologies.

Next video is a teaser for the AH-6J Little Bird loaded up with new M134s and Hydra Launcher. More on the way! ;)

-Seil

New video has finally been uploaded! You can find it here on our youtube channel in HD ;)

http://www.youtube.com/user/WotG4LiFe

A short demonstration of the AH-6J equiped with Twin M134 miniguns and new upgraded FFAR launcher. The video shows Little Birds with locked fire modes set to Double release Hydra 70 Rockets and High ROF M134s.

The upgraded FFAR Launcher's Features:

Real fire modes: Single, Double and Salvo

Multiple Rocket Types: HEDP (10 and 17 "Pounders", HEAT, Flechette, White Phosphorus and Smoke

Thanks for the patience and sorry for the delay.

(A string of issues delayed the video production and it was rushed to finish and upload, we're well aware of the issues you may see with it)

-Seil