Sign in to follow this  
TenBensons

ARMA2 and Kinect

Undoubtedly this tech will get faster and more responsive with time but I don't see how it can be implemented effectively in ARMA.

Its mainly for body tracking so there would be no point getting it just to replace TrackIR.

You have to sit too far from the screen to be able to use it at a desk so too far to combine with keyboard.

It would be amazing to use this with VR goggles for total immersion but there are just too many controls in ARMA for this system to replicate. As people have stated before you need an easy way to control movement, stance, squad commands etc.

The only way I can imagine it working would be to have a pseudo weapon that can be used to aim and fire which also has separate buttons on the grips to control the game. (similar to the acrade light guns) But that would need alot of extra buttons.

Edited by EDcase

The only reason you have to be 6ft+ away from the kinect on xbox is so it can track your full body. If it was used to do what trackIR does then you would only need your face to be within view, which kinect could do very easily sitting below your monitor using its motors to point at your face.

The only reason you have to be 6ft+ away from the kinect on xbox is so it can track your full body. If it was used to do what trackIR does then you would only need your face to be within view, which kinect could do very easily sitting below your monitor using its motors to point at your face.

But why bother, you can do that with a webcam already.

Well because it could be more accurate with kinect because of the 3d camera and you could use it in any lighting conditions.

But why bother, you can do that with a webcam already.

err that's like comparing the PS EyeToy to Kinect, no comparison.

I am really looking forward to the possibility of using a Kinect type solution to replace TrackIR, where I dont have to wear some thing or be tethered by wires, which does my head in.

I love Natural Point and TrackIR, but they have a serious monopoly on the market and lack innovation in my opinion. E.g. where is the Wireless TrackClip Pro? The fact I have to plug this in to USB to make 3 tiny LEDS illuminate is retarded. If nvidia can make 3d shutter glasses that are powered with a tiny rechargeable battery then so can natural point..but they don't bother 'cause they don't have to. Also..where is their head gear free tracking solution? They should have had one by now..but up to this point, they haven't had to bother. All they release is TrackIR5 which really offers nothing new unless you are a TrackIR 3 user.

And then there is the how much they charge for everything (imo close to extortionist prices), which is again a perfect example of a monopoly.

I hope Kinect can make the market for these tracking devices much more pleasant and accessible to us, the customer.

Well because it could be more accurate with kinect because of the 3d camera and you could use it in any lighting conditions.

Also it might be more flexible:

- Voice commands, recalibrate without keyboard commands

- Motorised head tracking, could perhaps allow you a bit more freedom to move around without throwing the in-game tracking off. i.e. automatic recalibration.

- hand gestures to command troops

Well i have one and im impressed with its tracking response ect but until dedicated drivers/software for the purpose of recalibrating kinect to headtrack surface we will never know. Considering its features as some of you mentioned it could help incredibly with immersion.

Using hand gestures through Kinect sounds interesting.

Especially for VBS. This would make better landing officer, loadmaster and co-driver simulation possible.

Not to mention for hand signalling in combat!

Had my first experience with the Kinect a few days ago. I was very impressed... I really didn't read much about it and it really surprised me. I find it much better than the WII (which now is nothing more than a $500 scale that calls me overweight).

I want to buy one now and see what else they come up with. It was a lot of fun with the family, we got pretty aggressive after awhile... good times.

Kinect is the future of ARMA movement system.

Do you know about projects working with Kinect and ARMA2?

even surpass TrackIR in ARMA2

No way could just face tracking work that good. TrackIR uses IR light, which I believe is far more accurate than just face tracking alone.

To put it into perspective, PlayStation Move uses the same tracking principle that TrackIR does, except Move uses only 1 visible light for tracking. It is very accurate, even more accurate than Kinect.

Edited by Nicholas

Kinect has an input-response delay doesn't it? Every demo I've seen has around a half second delay at least.

Kinect has an input-response delay doesn't it? Every demo I've seen has around a half second delay at least.

Yep, about half a second or so. My dad has a kinect, it's very amusing to play. Way better than the Wii tbh.

Yep, about half a second or so. My dad has a kinect, it's very amusing to play. Way better than the Wii tbh.

I should say that would be entirely dependant on the gameplay yes? :) I saw a demo of some guy playing a new Star Wars lightsaber-em-up, and to me it looked like he was simply sliding from one carefully choreographed "fight" to another. Sometimes increased ability means decreased motive to make a good game. However, I digress.

i wonder if you could set it up as like a virtual target range for fun (and crossfire/eyfinity :D ), set up some targets in arma and hide the gun in first person and get kinect to track your body and an airsoft gun or something, its kind of a limited use but i could have some fun with that. ive seen the wii used to simulate artificial 3d, and the kinect has a 3d camera so you might be able to do something neat with that too...

Can kinect be used to create custom animation for Arma2? I dunno about ANY kind of animation making and such, but looking at videos about the kinect capability of making custom animation, I can't wait to see someone utilizing it to create animation in Arma2.

When the response times and resolution of the sensor are improved it could be amazing with FPS games. I relish the thought of what could be possible in the near future with the refined version of Kinect. Image using your whole body to play Arma3. Imagine playing it in front of a massive projected screen ;)

Just some Ideas i had for Kinect controls for Infantry in Arma2/3

-Stepping forward a little from a predefined centre point to move forward

-stepping forward more to run

-stepping back to the centre point to stop... etc

-when not holding up your weapon,..Perhaps the sensor could measure the ---position of the torso from shoulder to shoulder to control the direction of travel

-perhaps kneeling to kneel, then placing a hand on the floor to go prone.

-Head tracking working pretty much the same as Track IR including leaning.

-Aiming the weapon could be done by the sensor using the position of both hands to determine the position of a weapon. Or perhaps by using a prop.

-To access Gear put a right hand behind you, as if you are going for you rucksack.

-to access interaction menu maybe put left hand behind

-use hands to toggle through menu's, weapon selection, fire mode..etc

-If the character model reflects exactly what the player is doing then perhaps it would be possible to pick up objects or open doors as you would in rl.

Well im sure somebody with a better imagination could come up with some genius ideas in how to use kinect in FPS. =)

yes let's add support for Kinect; so arma turns into this.

:rolleyes:

yes let's add support for Kinect; so arma turns into this.

That was real? At first, I thought it was a parody trailer.

Anyway, looks great for an arcade-style console shooter, but it doesn't belong in a PC milsim.